Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1011008 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3165 on: November 22, 2012, 01:03:54 am »

Use OPPOSED_TO_LIFE.
If that's for me, I have, and while they attack those things they can see, they don't enter the fortress.  In other words, they won't pathfind into the fortress on their own with just that tag added in, from what I've observed.

Both that and make them a building destroyer.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: November 22, 2012, 02:34:15 am »

make them magma-immune too :P

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: November 22, 2012, 12:41:27 pm »

Ok, so, I have (mostly!) success.

I took out all the stuff I had, and put this in \raw\objects\c_variation_default.txt

[CV_NEW_TAG:BUILDINGDESTROYER:1]

and they run directly into the fortress after a short time of milling about on the map.

I put it as the last entry in these three sections:

[CREATURE_VARIATION:ANIMAL_PERSON]
[CREATURE_VARIATION:ANIMAL_PERSON_LEGLESS]
[CREATURE_VARIATION:GIANT]

and any/all giant or animal men have the changed behavior.

I tried    [CV_NEW_TAG:BUILDINGDESTROYER:2]

And they attempted to destroy the grates & doors which are part of my fortress defense/entrance.  With just :1, they are evidently not so interested in the grates & doors, and are trying to reach the furniture further inside, which is perfect for my needs.  Now I can have "invaders" immediately on embark, and/or whenever I wish, just by editing this single value for savage biome embarks!

I'm going to try and refine the behavior so they don't mill about before heading right in, but for now, it's 90% goal achieved.  /cheer   8)  Also, this can be done to an already existing embark, no need to re-gen.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: November 22, 2012, 03:04:26 pm »

I'm having trouble with different body detail plans for castes inside a creature. I never have before, it's strange.

There's several castes, then a [SELECT_CASTE:ALL] and the body detail plans for these castes. Then, there's some more castes with their own body detail plans, inside these castes.

But when I butchered a corpse of a caste that has its own body detail plan in the arena, it had the materials from the select_caste group.

This same setup always worked. What do?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 03:06:28 pm by Valikdu »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: November 22, 2012, 03:11:30 pm »

Body detail plans define materials, so they're creature level.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: November 22, 2012, 03:21:00 pm »

Um... since when?! They've always been caste level. It's even in the wiki. And this has worked previously for me, I actually had castes with different material sets in the same creature!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: November 22, 2012, 03:23:52 pm »

34.01, IIRC, made material creature-level instead of caste-level. Like how you can't make one caste magma-safe without making the rest of them magma-safe.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: November 22, 2012, 03:26:10 pm »

...why???
Now I have to redo... a lot of things.

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: November 22, 2012, 07:02:16 pm »

I believe there's a workaround...you can replace specific tissue layers within a caste using the [SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER] tokens and associated tags.

For example, within the pegasus caste:

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:FEATHER:FEATHER_TEMPLATE] : This defines a new material for use
      [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:FEATHER:FEATHER_TEMPLATE] : This defines a new tissue which will use the new material
      [SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:HAIR:BY_CATEGORY:WING]       : This selects the tissue layer to be replaced within the caste
         [SET_LAYER_TISSUE:FEATHER]                           : This replaces that tissue layer with the new tissue.

I haven't done any tests on this, but it should presumably work.
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: November 22, 2012, 07:21:43 pm »

Or you could just use the different body detail tissue layer plans for the different castes. Materials and tissues are both creature level, but tissue layers are not.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: November 23, 2012, 12:59:49 am »

Well, seems like I'll have to designate the tissues from different sets by different names inside the creature. Like the two types of skin inside the pony creature will have to be PONY_SKIN and SUPERIOR_SKIN. And the custom tissue layer detail plans will have to accept these names.

MasterN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: November 23, 2012, 08:50:56 am »

Yo, how are you doing?

I hope I'm not interrupting.
I've got trouble with something really basic (I think), and I can't solve it.

It consists entirely within the creature_standard.txt with the Values for PHYS_ATT_RANGE and MENT_ATT_RANGE.
How does this work? The wiki and the raw-description differ, and I don't get it by testing.

For reference, here are the wiki and raw descriptions in that order:

wiki: Each attribute is a number between 0 and 5000, but in dwarven terms anything below 200 is rare and anything above 2500 is extraordinary. In the default raws (/raw/objects/creature_standard.txt), dwarven attributes come in four levels. [..]
Dwarves have an equal chance of dropping into any of these (six) ranges, and an equal probability again of getting any number in that range.

raw: Attributes for dwarves are still described in terms of the median value below, but the actual game effects are altered according to the raw numbers.  The numbers are different percentile values.  1000 is the human median for all attributes, so dwarven strength, for instance, has a higher median of 1250, although they suffer from their smaller size.

The wiki suggests, that the 7 values are the boarders which a ceature can fall into, but that doesn't happen. When I, for example, set all 7 values at strength to 5000, like the elves have for memory, than it doesn't mean at all, that all dwarfs will be generated unbelievably strong (at least their description doesn't mention strength at all). While having these modifications it also happened quite often, that dwarfs got an agility value of NULL, while their lowest boarder is 150... (I'm testing it on embark dwarfs, because you can set them to 50-60 and have a lot of reference...)
I get this weird behavior with any sort of increased or reduced values.

I also can't get my head around the percentile values mentioned in the raw itself.

Does anybody know, what i'm doing (thinking) wrong?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: November 23, 2012, 01:17:09 pm »

The description in-game is based on the values you put in; if their strength is all set to 5000, then it won't mention their strength because their strength is average for a dwarf.

MasterN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: November 23, 2012, 02:46:32 pm »

The description in-game is based on the values you put in; if their strength is all set to 5000, then it won't mention their strength because their strength is average for a dwarf.
ahhh....

so if the first, and only that, was 4000, it would be mentioned as catastrophically weak, while actually be used as 4k?
this sort of sounds like a bug.

I'll try to find something to read out the exact value they're having ingame.

Big thanks.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: November 23, 2012, 02:54:54 pm »

It's not a bug. They;d be catastrophically weak... for a dwarf.

Think of it as like... Goku. He was stronger than most humans at the age of 10, but extremely weak for a saiyan.

Dwarf Therapist gives you the exact numerical values, by the way.
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 544