Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Loading Transfered Saves?  (Read 2115 times)

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Loading Transfered Saves?
« on: December 11, 2007, 06:56:00 am »

Anything special I have to do? I'm trying to transfer a game over to my current computer, but every time I check the game it isn't there. I transfered the whole save folder over from the other game, replaced the one there, I even tried renaming the region folders (region1, region2, region3)

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
Re: Loading Transfered Saves?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 07:38:00 am »

All you need to do is to copy the whole save folder to the new version data directory. The new version won't have a save folder yet, by copying it you're going to create it.

Other than that, nothing related to transfering save is left to do. I always go work in the init file to change stuff to my liking and to link my tileset, when this is done I just fire DF and it works fine.

I am on a hot streak... literally.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 06:35:00 pm »

Let me guess, you burned it to a CD, then copied the CD folder to play it?

I've done this. The folder is marked as READ-ONLY. rclick the save folder, uncheck  READ-ONLY, and tell it to assign the attribute change to all subfolders and files.

If the folder is not initially marked as READ-ONLY, mark it as such, apply, then unmark it.

Incidentally, this gave me a great way to keep my backups organized, I just set a folder (like a virgin world) to READ-ONLY, then the game won't recognize it and I can't play it, so it stays as is. When I want to play it, I either copy it and unmark the readonly or juts unmark the readonly attribute.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 06:38:00 pm »

I didn't know it could happen with CD, but we had similar problem on Abandonia with some archivers which are bent on flagging files it's archiving as read-only.

It's worth a check, though if it's really your problem then you should have posted the error message in your post...

I am on a hot streak... literally.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 06:57:00 pm »

The game doesn't give any error messages at all in this scenario. It just fails to list any read-only folders when you try to play. So if you have no saves except ones marked readonly, when you load, then only options will be "Create New World" and "Quit"

Of course, I am ASSuming this is his problem. 'cause I been through it. Get a good fort started at work (um, HYPOTHETICALLY, of course) and take it home!

I guess I could always rar em and email em to myself, huh.

N35t0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 08:38:00 pm »

Also, you don't need to copy the entire 'save' folder, possibly overwriting other games you had. You just need the different 'region' folders. You can rename existing ones before pasting to avoid overwriting, just be sure to use consecutive numbers (I'm not sure what happens otherwise)

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 09:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by N35t0r:
<STRONG>...just be sure to use consecutive numbers (I'm not sure what happens otherwise)</STRONG>

No longer necessary as of .32a  I rename my region folders so that it's easier to keep track of them.