Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22

Author Topic: First thoughts.  (Read 88776 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: First thoughts.
« Reply #210 on: February 14, 2012, 04:44:17 pm »

I tried an adventurer, sadly the world had no cities so I couldn't enjoy proper shops.  I got a few quests and stepped outside.  2 tiles away, kobolds!  In year 125!  KOBOLDS!  I took away their shiny iron swords, then strangled them and bit them in the head - to death.  I moved a tile over, realized that was the wrong direction, and moved back, more kobolds!  This time I strangled/bit one, and the other one stabbed me in the spine, severing ALL the nerves.  I fall, but reach up and strangle him, he passes out.  I'm too injured to bite or stab, so I strangle him to death, but he managed to get his iron spear stuck in my hand.  I pull it out, and crawl away a little, only to suffocate moments later.

This isn't specific to the new release, but I've never enjoyed dying so much as I do right now.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 14, 2012, 04:48:04 pm »

Went adventuring as a novice axedwarf. My first quest was to kill a giant tiger that had killed four dwarves and five humans. I managed to scavenge some armor from the corpses scattered around its lair before it attacked me. Got a lucky hit with my axe and killed the big cat quite easily.

Reported my success back in the town, and got the next quest:

Spoiler: Fath's kills (click to show/hide)

Rrrrright. I think I'll find something else to kill.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 14, 2012, 04:55:56 pm »

No way.  You will totally be different than the other thousands!

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 14, 2012, 05:01:55 pm »

Tombs for dwarfes that are already dead!
I...I...
*goes in a corner, crying tears of joy.

kizucha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 14, 2012, 05:02:19 pm »

Awww my adventurer dies always with 1 hit or i miss all the time. :'( I think i train a bit on... chickens? Maybe i can handle these egg-laying demons. :D

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 14, 2012, 05:04:28 pm »

I love how you can tell how many different megabeasts shoot webs by checking the stockpile screen for silk.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #216 on: February 14, 2012, 05:07:22 pm »

Well i like how night beasts tend to be humans during the day now. Makes them less like JUGGERNAUT BITCH and more like "AHA yor ax only kills les than usual!!!". I've gotten a lot of "can only be hurt by iron" night beasts, though my copper axe has chopped up all of them so far. :P (also they still fall to a footshot, it's borderline deadlier than headshots in the long run)
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 14, 2012, 05:13:55 pm »

Awww my adventurer dies always with 1 hit or i miss all the time. :'( I think i train a bit on... chickens? Maybe i can handle these egg-laying demons. :D
Chickens!?! Are you mad?!? Didn't you learn any lessons fro playing Legend of Zelda? :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 14, 2012, 05:15:22 pm »

>Embark in evil biome for the lulz.

Oh wow, everything's dead here. huh.  OH HOLY ARMOK, ARE THOSE ZOMBIE BADGER?! well at least they're staying away.

>Gathers wood for a palisade and digs a small chamber to start moving goods into.

"Repulsive mucus if falling from the sky!"

Huhwhat? that's some mighty odd rain there. toady outdi- are... are my dwarves writhing helplessly in extreme pain? oh crap, here come the zombie badgers. look! they're unable to defend themselves when they're covered in the mucus, even though I can't find any wounds, and there's blood everywhere.

>All dwarves die.

Final thoughts on the fort: "I need to figure out how to weaponize that."
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Kylarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 14, 2012, 05:19:02 pm »

Checking out my legends now. Got a Goddess named Sut, a skeletal female human associated with suicide and death. She created The Fair Harmony in 23. From Sut, Gisu Yell-labored found the book and became the first necromancer in the same year. Almost as if the book was penned for her, Gisu then went on to drop her old title of Holy Crypt, of the Dead Doctrines faction to becoming the Overlord of the Forests of Brilliance in the following year. The next year, she animated a elf king, two other elves and a goblin, before taking on Minkot Distinct-Brass, a dwarf who longed for the secrets of immortality. As her master, Minkot established Lutenest as a necromancer sanctum and place of learning. From here, many works were penned and many a necromancer has rested their heads here. Eight necromancers have made this place their home, of which all are still alive and continuing to write. Of note is Oddom Scalecave. The first Dwarven King of the Plank of Gods, and possibly first ever king, he nearly fell in battle against a Bleak Freak. Following this, he sought out Edi, apprentice to Minkot, apprentice to Gisu, Holder of the Words of Sut. Further reading shows that each Necromancer is allowed one apprentice. I'm almost seeing a Sith relationship here, except the old masters are still around. I wonder how many other necromancers exist in this world and where they gained their knowledge.

I'm going to enjoy adventure mode heavily.
You mean the ability to have endless training dummies, a carpet of eyestalks and tendrills, and a plant that both makes for some good grizzled sea man hard liquor AND the ability to turn your dwarves into the Night´s Watch...not reward enough?

Fayceless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 14, 2012, 05:31:52 pm »

Definitely not faster than the old version.  I'm at 13 dwarfs and already at 70 FPS. :(

...though a closer look reveals 133 giant mosquitoes.  :o

Yeah it was the mosquitoes, they left and FPS is back up.

I also hopped in adventure to check it out and it chugged along so bad I didn't want to play it at all.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:49:01 pm by Fayceless »

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 14, 2012, 06:00:34 pm »

Too bad that the slime just stays on the tiles and never evaporates, creatures just smear everything with it.

Is anyone having problems with saves? My normal (as in , not seasonal) save cannot be overwriten by neither another normal or new seasonals.
I know this isnt exactly the place to ask this, but I lack proof that it isnt just some random bug.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 14, 2012, 06:00:51 pm »

Checking books in legends mode...
It appears a panther monster that fooled a goblin civ and became their law-giver was a great writer, he is the author off:
"At one with Trees", "War and the Sacrifice", "Death: Common Practice" and his most famous "Start your Day with sleep"
I wonder if his latest book: "Annihilation for the beginning practitioner" will also become a top seller...

I'm loving it
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 14, 2012, 06:27:43 pm »

My necromancer's tower is called... Loversquirts...

22: Anotuthru, "Loversquirts", tower
   Owner: The Autonomy of Gilding, humans
   1 reptile man
   6 humans
   2 dwarves
   42 animated elves
   30 animated humans
   7 animated goblins

Wondering what this reptile man is doing here. Is that the classical snake obsession of the forces of darkness or what ?

Also, guess what dominates the whole population ? Giant mosquitoes.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 06:36:40 pm by Naryar »

Xieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 14, 2012, 06:32:11 pm »

1st Fort: Death by 137 very violent giant mosquitos that got trapped inside my mines.

2nd Fort: Death by mist zombies.

This game got hard something fast.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22