Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22

Author Topic: First thoughts.  (Read 88793 times)

Keltiknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First thoughts.
« Reply #135 on: February 14, 2012, 11:59:51 am »

Tried some adventurers, got a quest to kill a night creature that was weak to iron, stole an iron sword from a kobold that ambushed me, on the way, get killed by random kobold arrow. Make new world, embark on terrifying shrub land, don't last to mid sprind due to zombie muskoxes and the hordes of zombie ravens and the first few of my dwarves to die. Terrifying regions are much more hardcore now. Did not even have time to make farm plots.
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.-Corvidae

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 14, 2012, 12:06:12 pm »

All these reanimating corpses could be good for fortress defense/military training.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 14, 2012, 12:08:42 pm »

You know what maybe ramps in ponds aren't such a good idea since they could be used to dump corpses otherwise.
Also finally got some undead fun, those reanimated corpses seem bugged as most attacks glance away from them. Lost a fort to undead oresses, spent a lot of time preparing dorfs for reclaim and got slaughtered even faster than fist time because despite all the time lost on the embark screen idiots kept scratching and punching skeletons instead of used damned axes they've been handed. Screw that, playnow on the other undead site. What?! They've brought a pair of cats and dogs?! Great, one dog has suffocated already, killed by corpses of crows.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 14, 2012, 12:10:05 pm »

Well, that's a disappointment. My evil region isn't resurrecting the dead livestock lying about. It *is* raining slime, which causes everything it touches to become dizzy for a while.

Kessadir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2012, 12:16:11 pm »

Argh! So many crashes during Adventure mode!
Crash while greeting with NPC's
Crash while being ambushed by something
Crash when gaining a quest

Darn I hope Toady fixes this soon :(

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 14, 2012, 12:24:12 pm »

The world gen certainly is slower, but i just got a badass name
'the eternal planet' or 'emeanu'
HOW BADASS IS THAT?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 14, 2012, 12:28:31 pm »

It would seem that reanimating corpse parts is a direct response to "Axes are King" in past versions.  Seems like blunt weapondry is the way to go (or as was pointed out, Archery).

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 14, 2012, 12:29:15 pm »

HOW BADASS IS THAT?

Mine is called "The Planet of Griffons". There's a forest in it called "The Forest of Griffons".

(Griffons don't exist in Dwarf Fortress.)

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 14, 2012, 12:33:43 pm »

Aaagh. Yet another crumbled settlement. How's it even possible for a bird to peck a skull?
Also, it seemed to me that knock over is sufficient to lay down undead. So bigger war animals might be of use here.
Well, that's a disappointment. My evil region isn't resurrecting the dead livestock lying about. It *is* raining slime, which causes everything it touches to become dizzy for a while.
Strange, I had exactly the same acid ooze rain, was it red? Looks like there's not many variations for this stuff.
It would seem that reanimating corpse parts is a direct response to "Axes are King" in past versions.  Seems like blunt weapondry is the way to go (or as was pointed out, Archery).
One of my crumbled fortresses had macedorfs with silver maces. Nor blunt, nor silver helped them to live longer. Maybe it was because there were undead ogres not undead hamsters, but in the other one axes fared acceptable against weaker enemies.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 14, 2012, 12:35:17 pm »

Nope, this stuff is dark blue. I think there are a lot of variations, actually, prolly even randomly generated.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 14, 2012, 12:39:04 pm »

HOW BADASS IS THAT?

Mine is called "The Planet of Griffons". There's a forest in it called "The Forest of Griffons".

(Griffons don't exist in Dwarf Fortress.)

Nice.
Something tells me that i must play this world until a new update comes out.
Just because its called eternal.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

kizucha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 14, 2012, 12:40:04 pm »

I have not a good feeling with the name of my new world... "the world of dragons". ^^" I wait for the new DT-version but i take a look as a adventurer maybe a stealhy human with her bow and daggers. xD How long would she survive?^^

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 14, 2012, 12:44:29 pm »

I have not a good feeling with the name of my new world... "the world of dragons". ^^" I wait for the new DT-version but i take a look as a adventurer maybe a stealhy human with her bow and daggers. xD How long would she survive?^^
I genned that exact same name.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 14, 2012, 12:46:03 pm »

Aaagh. Yet another crumbled settlement. How's it even possible for a bird to peck a skull?
Also, it seemed to me that knock over is sufficient to lay down undead. So bigger war animals might be of use here.
Strange, I had exactly the same acid ooze rain, was it red? Looks like there's not many variations for this stuff.
One of my crumbled fortresses had macedorfs with silver maces. Nor blunt, nor silver helped them to live longer. Maybe it was because there were undead ogres not undead hamsters, but in the other one axes fared acceptable against weaker enemies.
The Advanced World Design allows you to select how many variations of evil rain there are. I got red acid ooze that causes bruising and unconciousness. I'm hoping spreading isn't going to be an issue because I really don't want a narcoleptic fort.

kizucha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2012, 12:46:27 pm »

I genned that exact same name.

I wish you good luck in this world.^^
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22