Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22

Author Topic: First thoughts.  (Read 88772 times)

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
Re: First thoughts.
« Reply #120 on: February 14, 2012, 11:19:48 am »

Guys, I've found something disturbing, but potentially useful as a weapon against invaders:

Dead things will reanimate themselves MULTIPLE TIMES.

So far, my commander has put down our resident Zombie Dwarf Planter twice, among other things.

Edit: Make that 3 times.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 11:21:43 am by Crustypeanut »
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Tahlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 14, 2012, 11:20:29 am »

WIN!
This is a masterstroke.  Just a few hours into release and already it's weaponized itself.

My forest is completely covered in blood.  At first, when I saw a long streak of blood following my Woodcutter, I was like "Oh shit, did the undead chickens attack him?!"  Nope.   This totally makes up for not being able to use Dwarf Therapist, although I look greatly foward to it's update.

I got it's raining frozen dwarf blood, On a glacier. O_O
Me afraid.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 14, 2012, 11:30:51 am »

WIN!
This is a masterstroke.  Just a few hours into release and already it's weaponized itself.

My forest is completely covered in blood.  At first, when I saw a long streak of blood following my Woodcutter, I was like "Oh shit, did the undead chickens attack him?!"  Nope.   This totally makes up for not being able to use Dwarf Therapist, although I look greatly foward to it's update.

I got it's raining frozen dwarf blood, On a glacier. O_O
Me afraid.

So if its snowing snow made from elf-blood, does that mean your blizzardmen will be made of elf-blood ice/snow, and thus are elven blizzardmen? 

Also... ELF BLOOD SNOWMEN!

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 14, 2012, 11:30:58 am »

I just lost three embarks in a row in a evil biome. Giant Eagle corpses perpetually reanimating are fun.

So far there doesn't seem to be a limit to how many time a corpse gets back up. I must have killed an undead parrot a hundred times by placing a couple war dogs on the corpse stockpile. It reanimates on a regular basis, maybe once every couple days.

I saw a couple of evil mist clouds pass by but failed to notice any effect.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2012, 11:32:55 am »

Guys, I've found something disturbing, but potentially useful as a weapon against invaders:

Dead things will reanimate themselves MULTIPLE TIMES.

So far, my commander has put down our resident Zombie Dwarf Planter twice, among other things.

Edit: Make that 3 times.
Yep, I've had an undead get killed about 6 times, slightly rotting more each time it was down briefly. What started out as "corpse" became "mutilated corpse" and later, "partial skeleton". They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
  • Why, MrMayor? Whatever do you mean by "slade bed"?
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 14, 2012, 11:33:28 am »

Mother of god.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That giant anaconda devoured 21 trolls in 3 years. Big trolls, which are capable of breaking platinum doors and floodgates, not just a turkey or a chicken. I wonder how big that devouring monster is.

Also I will try evil biomes now. Or may be try to embark on a necromancer tower, I haven't tried to do that.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 14, 2012, 11:37:00 am »

Gentledwarves, it seems we have a use for war animals once more!  Refuse pile holders.  Simply pasture them to the refuse pile for added security, at least until you can get the magma running.

Also a lot of creatures like goblins cannot be butchered (normally) and will preset very unappealing corpse piles.  Time to set up some convenient refuse piles mixed with bridges and pressure plates.  Have it set that when the corpses walk through, they atom-smash themselves.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 14, 2012, 11:41:24 am »

That sounds good, although my war dogs got slaughtered by a flock of zombie ravens.. and the war dogs also had a hard time with the undead horse hair.  I'd say one dwarf guarding the undead reanimation center training center refuse pile would be better once you have a dwarf to spare. 

Lifro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 14, 2012, 11:42:21 am »

Awesome. Uci Barstuck got attacked by a troll, became obsessed with her own mortality, and then went on to write 11 books about herself.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 14, 2012, 11:45:21 am »

It might be a good idea to set up an archery practice room overlooking the refuse stockpile.

Also, looking around in legends, I spotted a few zombie rocs and dragons.  :o

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #130 on: February 14, 2012, 11:48:11 am »

you can see your dwarves diety's history(? shortened i guess) in fortress mode, apparently Ud, associated with the wind and mostly depicted as a giant bat, got pissed with a dwarf and cursed it to become a beaver-like form. o_o mostly the entries are saying Ud received the worship of dwarf Urist McAverage's etc etc
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 14, 2012, 11:49:11 am »

Does anyone know if we can find out what kind of vile filth rains in an area? Maybe fill a barrel with it and take it to your alchemist dwarf for inspection or something... no syndromes yet but I'm worried. :P

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 14, 2012, 11:49:19 am »

Currently using a refuse stockpile as an archery range! Working...surprisingly well.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 14, 2012, 11:50:23 am »

Archery sounds best.  Put a few targets in the neighboring room, and put fortifications in the walls.  That way your marksmen can stop practice, peg a zombie, and resume.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 14, 2012, 11:54:10 am »

Archery sounds best.  Put a few targets in the neighboring room, and put fortifications in the walls.  That way your marksmen can stop practice, peg a zombie, and resume.

Exactly. I'm going to at some point use a large fort and Runesmith to see what 10 legendary marksdorfs can do to a tightly packed horde of the shambling dead with wooden and bone bolts, not for science, just for personal amusement.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22