Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22

Author Topic: First thoughts.  (Read 88738 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: First thoughts.
« Reply #270 on: February 14, 2012, 11:45:48 pm »

Just curious if anyway know if you need to have a necromancer tower listed as a neighbor on embark for them to work? It seems you have to be pretty close for them to show up as a neighbor.

It's possible. Someone already weaponized a captured one.

MagmaSolutionsInc

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes elves for their screaming, bubbling noises.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 15, 2012, 01:25:20 am »

Ugh. Advanced World gen with Large Region is for the birds. Can't even halt it, it doesn't respond.
stopped zombie cats from adopting dwarves

... with magma.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 15, 2012, 01:43:08 am »

Got to test DFVD yesterday after all.
So, first thoughts...

The ‼AWESOME‼:
+ The new Units screen is menacing with spikes of tidiness. No more scrolling through screenfuls of poults to find the Titan lurking at the edge of the map somewhere. This is a huge improvement. Also, the "has been missing for a week" --> "has been found dead, dehydrated" part adds a nice bit of flavor to dorf deaths.
+ Historical immigrants mean you don't have to build a military from scratch anymore, as some of them are actually weapon proficient.
+ Lots of minor improvements, e.g. actually showing "Stray Ram (tame) has been slaughtered" as opposed to "struck down" when this is done intentionally by your dorfs.
+ The game seems to be running smoother overall.
+ Additional ‼Fun‼ like a weredonkey goblin berserker and, apparently, a vampire among my immigrants (one of my dorfs was found sucked dry).
+ Severed teeth FtW!

The not so much:
- As noted, the world gen seems to be somewhat slower than the previous version. Not pathologically so, though, at least for a small world.
- Utilities like Dwarf The_rapist not compatible with new version. This means that until DT is updated, designating labors is a major pain.
- Goddamn furries every. f██king. where. Seriously, on my 2x3 embark, you can't throw a flying {limestone} without hitting a thrips man, a raven woman and three or so wild boar people. A bunch of giant ravens also showed up to demonstrate why a large group of ravens is called a "murder". In addition to the ‼Fun‼ that ensued, I foresee some serious FPS problems when ginormous swarms of birdmen or mosquito people come flocking around.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 15, 2012, 01:45:41 am »

Evil smoke is too hardcore for me  :(
I had successfully walled off my wagon area with only one death to the undead, when suddenly four of my six dwarves became smoke thralls in quick succession. There was never any announcement of smoke or even visible smoke, they were just suddenly crazy.

I also found a bug where a dig designation at the bottom z level can reveal a patch of hell.

What I want to test next is an embark with as many Towers neighboring it as possible, and see what the result is. (I saw one embark with three nearby, but there was an aquifer there :/)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:47:44 am by EveryZig »
Soaplent green is goblins!

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 15, 2012, 02:29:16 am »

Are dwarf civs building roads now?  I don't remember them doing that before.  I genned a pocket world before because I wanted to see some of these books people were talking about, and I noticed a trio of mountain halls sprouted some roads.  That road went on to connect a goblin tower (wtf?!).  When the gen finished, I took a closer look at the map, and that road connected 4 mountain halls, the tower which was actually labelled a dark dwarven fortress, and then continued on to link up with a human kingdom's road network.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Lpfn1822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 15, 2012, 02:34:20 am »

For those of you still looking for a tileset, Mayday has one out
-Loving the new version. Did a normal embark, no evil biome for me yet. Hunters got a tracking skill. Tons of new animals. Different packs of animals keep showing up on my map, then wandering off, which I think is pretty cool. The perigreene falcons are a bit annoying though.
-My first caravan got here, everything was cheap as hell. Steel helm for 400 dwarf bucks.
-Be careful when you tap magma. I just did it, and a ton of smoke spewed out and claimed the life of my immigrant novice miner with a copper pick. Nothing of value was lost. Now he's showing up as missing. Tried to write him a slap, can't do it yet.
-Looks like combat skills are training a lot faster.
-Sort of miss Dwarf Therapist, but I learned how to play DF without it for the first 9 months I played. I sort of like doing it manually anyways.
-Noticed toady brought the hammerer back. Pretty cool.
-Finally found the moon tracker, top right hand corner.
-Loving the new units page.

Whitefoxsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • something meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 15, 2012, 02:38:43 am »

I'm being swarmed by 107 giant mosquitoes... There shaping themselves into cryptic messages telling me to do terrible things.... or that they think that everything taste wonderful!

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 15, 2012, 03:11:05 am »

At least half my migrant waves are children.

And of those children, most of them won't age to maturity before the average time it takes my fort to die.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

MagmaSolutionsInc

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes elves for their screaming, bubbling noises.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 15, 2012, 03:13:54 am »

Hmm. XP mode or VMWare Player is looking like a good option after a bit of testing. Need to do some more though, DF crashed under XP mode during world gen...
stopped zombie cats from adopting dwarves

... with magma.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 15, 2012, 03:15:33 am »

Ok, am I the only one who thought to start in a survivable area to get thier bearings on the new release?

...You get the hell out of here.
sigged
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 15, 2012, 03:16:52 am »

Ok, am I the only one who thought to start in a survivable area to get thier bearings on the new release?

...You get the hell out of here.
sigged

I don't know if I should be honored or not. And Giant hamsters are alot tougher than I thought they'd be... 3 dead pikedwarves taught me that...

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 15, 2012, 03:20:54 am »

NOTE TO SELF: Giant keas are FAR more dangerous in battle than classic item thieves like rhesus macaques, vultures, buzzards, or raccoons.

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 15, 2012, 03:37:31 am »

As soon as I found out the update was released on valentine's day, I cried a little inside because I had to take my girl out, instead of taking my computer out to revel in the new features.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 15, 2012, 04:00:23 am »

Yak head hair, Y U NO STAY DEAD.  >:(
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 15, 2012, 04:25:02 am »

A question: how do you insult gods to turn you into a werebeast?  Or does something else happen, I forgot what Toady wrote about. 

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22