Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22

Author Topic: First thoughts.  (Read 88735 times)

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First thoughts.
« Reply #255 on: February 14, 2012, 10:13:59 pm »

My games like to crash alot for some reason :(

New world, new character, hey lets talk to this random job person!  Wait, it crashed?  Crap!

New world, new outsider character, hey lets try and find a civilization!  Wait, it crashed traveling across the world map?  Oh no!

New world, new fort, lets pick an embark!  Crap, crashed during item-picking phase!

New world... crashed!

Genning new world?  Yup, crashed!

Even crashed at the starting screen :(

Keltiknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 14, 2012, 10:19:10 pm »

Newest fort: After about five tries on the same little haunted tundra, I managed to get some dwarves barricaded in against the terror of the undead elk hordes that not even almost 50 dogs could stop, had one dead dwarf: The mason who made the walls, so currently its six dwarves, and a horde of dogs with undead dogs, undead elks, and the undead mason waiting just outside, I intend to make this a mostly home-bred dwarf fort, at least until I become strong enough to take down the walls and let migrants in without suffering the wrath of countless skelks.
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.-Corvidae

Praecordia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 14, 2012, 10:57:42 pm »

All of the legendary books in my world are authored by a deer demon, who tricked a goblin civ into thinking she was their water god or something.

But still, demon author. Cool.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 14, 2012, 11:01:29 pm »

Before this, I went to kill a vampire. I accused him, and he attacked me. What helped was, the was A GOD in the same room! SERIOUSLY! He said "Mortal, I know why you are here." Then when I accused the vampire, he started chucking fireballs at it! He was a master or something.

Yeah, I don't think physical gods exist in the game yet - so that was a demon masquerading as a god, most likely...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 14, 2012, 11:06:08 pm »

I noticed megabeasts don't seem to do too well. Looking through legends for a couple world gens, most seem to die off by year 50 or so.

Migrant waves are small, and it seems to favor married couples. I also feel like the age range expanded; I got a 20 year old and a 120 year old that had been alive since the beginning of time in the same wave.

Zombie raven flocks > Megabeasts?
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 14, 2012, 11:09:27 pm »

After my dwarven adventurers, Urist I, II and III were all killed by human bandits, I switched to fortress mode. Terrifying desert, 7 peasants, one piece of tetrahedrite and an anvil. Built a training axe for the woodcutter and a wood furnace and started gathering some plants. Then a giant zombie louse showed up and started chasing everybody all around the map, cancelling jobs.

The woodcutter went missing for a week. Found his corpse at the bottom of a waterfall, he probably dodged into the river and drowned. He was already turned undead when I found him.

Finally I drafted everybody into the militia and ordered them to face the undead louse and beat it down with their fists and wooden shields. I think another dwarf died there. When the louse was killed, two undead kangaroos appeared and started mauling my dwarves. Then a moment later, 20 GIANT ZOMBIE MOSQUITOS spawned and finished the job.

The fort lasted a month, never managed to forge a pick. Loved the Fun!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 14, 2012, 11:20:10 pm »

Ok, am I the only one who thought to start in a survivable area to get thier bearings on the new release?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 14, 2012, 11:21:27 pm »

Ok, am I the only one who thought to start in a survivable area to get thier bearings on the new release?

...You get the hell out of here.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 14, 2012, 11:23:24 pm »

For those of you looking for a tileset, I believe that Ironhand has a beta version of his tileset up that is compatible with the new version. Still ironing out some bugs over there, but it mostly works IIRC.

That was fast.  I managed to get Ironhand to work with the new version, and I kind of don't know what I'm doing when it comes to installing tilesets (I just switch them with the LNP).  So it's not surprising I guess.  One weird thing, I took a quick look at fortress mode for a bit, and some of my starting dorfs had children sprites, so maybe something there has to be tweaked.

Speaking of tilesets, has anyone tried Truetype in this update?  Toady mentioned that he did a few fixes to it in the devlog.

Truetype seems to be working at least with the Ironhand set, though I had some issues with the accented characters.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 14, 2012, 11:28:54 pm »

Ironhand's download has no probs with children sprites, not sure what you used to get it to work.. but you should dl the new version ;)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 14, 2012, 11:30:49 pm »

What? I wanted to see what the hell was what before I got everyone dead. Or undead.
I just happen to prefer giant angry versions of harmless animals ok?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 14, 2012, 11:36:21 pm »

What? I wanted to see what the hell was what before I got everyone dead. Or undead.
No! If your immediate response upon hearing nightmarish poisons are falling from the sky and teeth and hair are coming to life to murder people isn't dancing in the rain on the refuse pile you are clearly an elf sympathizer!

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 14, 2012, 11:40:44 pm »

The only cure is....
MAGMAAAAAAAAAAAAA
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 14, 2012, 11:41:23 pm »

No! If your immediate response upon hearing nightmarish poisons are falling from the sky and teeth and hair are coming to life to murder people isn't dancing in the rain on the refuse pile you are clearly an elf sympathizer!

I am no ELF!!! I'd sooner send dwarves into a home made version of resident evil than be an elf.
Trees make my bins, beds, and fuel in place of coal after all, I can't afford to be a tree hugging piece of slime!

My logic was it's difficult to learn more than rain can kill you and, it is so hard to hold a straight face at this thought, hair and teeth can reanimate. Somehow. Besides, I prefer my enemies to stay dead and be turned into bone bolts, totems, armor, and food for my drunken lunatics.

And dwarf blood is the paint of choice for giant animals anyway, so I figured I needed to oblige.

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
  • I had an army of cats once. guess what happened?
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 14, 2012, 11:45:04 pm »

Just curious if anyway know if you need to have a necromancer tower listed as a neighbor on embark for them to work? It seems you have to be pretty close for them to show up as a neighbor.
Your not playing Dwarf Fortress right if you don't see a message saying a Kitten (tame) had died in some horrible manner over and over again.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22