Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22

Author Topic: First thoughts.  (Read 88746 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Re: First thoughts.
« Reply #240 on: February 14, 2012, 08:03:24 pm »

Are were creatures trapavoid?
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 14, 2012, 08:11:04 pm »

Got an immigrant who is a great tracker.
Does anyone know what that skill does?

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 14, 2012, 08:11:09 pm »

Embarked on an evil forest next to an evil grasslands, the forest looks normal but the grasslands gets all the creepy eyeball grasses. Then it started raining "pungent sludge".

This stuff must hit kinda hard as everything that's outside during a rain gets bruised. Later it started raining normal rain.. all that sludge turned to unholy smoke, it makes everyone dizzy, otherwise not much to comment on.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 14, 2012, 08:21:12 pm »

Nope, when water touches the sludge it turns into unholy smoke. I just got the message its started raining (not its raining pugent sludge), and saw all the yellow double ~ that were the pools of pungent sludge turn into red double ~ and be called pools of unholy smoke. Also dwarves and other animals outside in the rain will trail (pools of) unholy smoke until the get inside. I assume this is because they are covered in sludge? I'll have to pay attention and see if they leave behind unholy smoke when they bathe.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 14, 2012, 08:27:01 pm »

Any word on whether or not evil clouds affect Goblins, Elves, Humans and Kobolds and how the undead feel about diplomatic relations with said parties?
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 14, 2012, 08:27:11 pm »

Embarked on the foothills of a haunted mountain. Once I got a main hall and two small rooms carved out my hens started running around in an insane panic. A trio of zombie mountain goats had shown up. I ordered my woodcutter to kill all of them, only he got his head kicked in after decapitating one. The animate head killed all my miners, and then went to work nibbling my metalsmith to death right at the entrance to my fort. My farmer was busy planting plump helmets at the end of the tunnel when the zombie goat head came in, throwing him into a panic. He escaped as the head slew my remaining chickens, but he soon died at the hands of one of my undead dwarves.

Sweeeeeeet.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 14, 2012, 08:31:28 pm »

Nope, when water touches the sludge it turns into unholy smoke. I just got the message its started raining (not its raining pugent sludge), and saw all the yellow double ~ that were the pools of pungent sludge turn into red double ~ and be called pools of unholy smoke. Also dwarves and other animals outside in the rain will trail (pools of) unholy smoke until the get inside. I assume this is because they are covered in sludge? I'll have to pay attention and see if they leave behind unholy smoke when they bathe.

I can see it as it becoming a remarkably dense gas that travels with the dworf as it walks.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 14, 2012, 08:38:16 pm »

Well, I found spongebob.

Not sure if I see any squidmen or starfish men though.

Other than that, there's been a bunch of giant thirps.

Also every migrant wave haves a bunch of useless children.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 14, 2012, 08:57:52 pm »

I've found a few bugs that I'm not entirely sure are bugs.

First, any editing done to d_init doesn't seem to work. I turned on seasonal autosaves, FPS display, flow amounts and popcap, yet none of them have actually applied to the game. However, I removed aquifers from all layers in the init notepad and it seems to have applied perfectly.

Second, and this isn't really a bug, but therapist doesn't work.  :'( I can't fathom how I'd manage a 100 dwarf fort without it.

Now, onto good schtuff. Looking at water actually displays stagnancy or freshness, all lakes/ponds/rivers/ etc have ramps. I did notice something strange with the brook I embarked on in that the entire thing is stagnant, yet has a flowing source from one end of the map to another.

Other than that, I'll see what happens when I get further in. Should be fun.  :D

EDIT: Just noticed that channeling a frozen brook produces chalk, not ice. Could be because that half was in a cold mountain biome with chalk as the primary stone.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 14, 2012, 09:09:43 pm »

I've found a few bugs that I'm not entirely sure are bugs.

First, any editing done to d_init doesn't seem to work. I turned on seasonal autosaves, FPS display, flow amounts and popcap, yet none of them have actually applied to the game. However, I removed aquifers from all layers in the init notepad and it seems to have applied perfectly.

Second, and this isn't really a bug, but therapist doesn't work.  :'( I can't fathom how I'd manage a 100 dwarf fort without it.

Now, onto good schtuff. Looking at water actually displays stagnancy or freshness, all lakes/ponds/rivers/ etc have ramps. I did notice something strange with the brook I embarked on in that the entire thing is stagnant, yet has a flowing source from one end of the map to another.

Other than that, I'll see what happens when I get further in. Should be fun.  :D

EDIT: Just noticed that channeling a frozen brook produces chalk, not ice. Could be because that half was in a cold mountain biome with chalk as the primary stone.

Brook is a trippy water-stone thing. If you channel any brook you'll get stones.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 14, 2012, 09:15:53 pm »

d_init options are only applied on a restart.  Completely close DF and re-open.  Compare your results after this.

orrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 14, 2012, 09:17:39 pm »

I noticed megabeasts don't seem to do too well. Looking through legends for a couple world gens, most seem to die off by year 50 or so.

Migrant waves are small, and it seems to favor married couples. I also feel like the age range expanded; I got a 20 year old and a 120 year old that had been alive since the beginning of time in the same wave.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 14, 2012, 09:36:02 pm »

d_init options are only applied on a restart.  Completely close DF and re-open.  Compare your results after this.

Done that a few times, but still no success.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 14, 2012, 09:37:32 pm »

Got a quest in adventure mode to go kill a vampire with 1,066 kills. Somebody else hit me in the head with a flail before I could try.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 14, 2012, 10:13:03 pm »

Went and killed a vampire, and then drank his blood, so now I'm a vampire. Beneath one of the chapels is a catacombs FILLED with treasure. Seriously, there are hundreds of corpses down there. Some are buried, most are not. Some are laid in corners neatly, some are scattered everywhere. SO MUCH TREASURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before this, I went to kill a vampire. I accused him, and he attacked me. What helped was, the was A GOD in the same room! SERIOUSLY! He said "Mortal, I know why you are here." Then when I accused the vampire, he started chucking fireballs at it! He was a master or something.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 10:16:33 pm by tahujdt »
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22