Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22

Author Topic: First thoughts.  (Read 88778 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: First thoughts.
« Reply #195 on: February 14, 2012, 03:32:11 pm »

Attacking the giant keas killed two of my dwarves and injured four more. Time for another fort...

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 14, 2012, 03:38:13 pm »

They don't seem to be attacking though....
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 14, 2012, 03:38:48 pm »

Embarked in a terrifying region as a test of the new features. First it rained goblin blood, then shortly after, "repulsive sludge", which was a purple goo that caused unconsciousness and made pus spew from every orifice on contact. I saw a great horned owl flying high over the area that was raining repulsive sludge; he was soon rendered unconscious, and as a result, he dropped like a rock and exploded on the ground below.

I had sent my seven dwarves to kill three chinchillas just earlier, and they got knocked out by the sludge shortly after killing the chinchillas. I minimized the game at that point but forgot to pause. When I got back,

Your settlement has crumbled to its end.

From what I can gather from legends mode, a chinchilla (possibly a reanimated chinchilla corpse) nibbled one unconscious dwarf to death, four bled out, and two were killed by a zombie giant snail.

I do believe this incident has rekindled my previously waning interest in DF.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 14, 2012, 03:43:23 pm »

Great, my hunter is killed himself by dodging into a pool and no one will drag him out, because he's 'missing', even though I can see his body.  On top of that, he was friends with almost every one of the other starting seven.  Now I've got three unhappy Dorfs on my hands.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 14, 2012, 03:44:10 pm »

The mucus just showed me something new. Well this sucks.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Keltiknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 14, 2012, 03:44:34 pm »

Latest two adventurers, first one, find tomb, take every limb off a mummy but his head, he raises about 20 corpses on me, get mauled to death by zombie peasants. Second one, complete some quests with companions, get go into a dungeon or something in a town, fight off some soldiers or bandits or something, sole living companion dies, knock pikeman down hole, walk through door, get bolt to knee, give in to pain, die.
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.-Corvidae

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 14, 2012, 03:47:06 pm »

A cloud of 'devlish soot' spawned right on top of my dwarves about a month in. They were instantly zombified.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #202 on: February 14, 2012, 03:48:37 pm »

I'm loving the new features, but the improved world gen is really making my computer chug. I used to be able to hit at least the year 150 before seeing a slowdown, but now it's starting to lock up my machine around 75.

Yeah. I'm noticing the same issues too...

Mine got to 120 (usually gets to 200) before going derp on me.  One thing I noticed--still genning as I type this, I've been out all day--is the place names seem to make a little more sense.  Maybe it's just luck, but I am unsure if I welcome that or will miss things like "the Hills of Hills"
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 14, 2012, 03:55:28 pm »

walk through door, get bolt to knee, give in to pain, die.
I used to be an adventurer like you, and then I... :P

Anyways, my first thought was WOAH! DWARF FORTRESS! Too bad I didn't stay up another 10 minutes, or I could have downloaded it last night! (And then probably missed my classes from lack of sleep, so I guess it was kinda good that I missed the update. ;)) Some of the new adventure mode stuff looks pretty awesome to mess with while I wait for Dwarf Therapist to finish updating to the new version. Strangely world gen seemed to run surprisingly faster for me then before, though I guess I didn't actually generate that many worlds so I'll need to do some more tests.

For those of you looking for a tileset, I believe that Ironhand has a beta version of his tileset up that is compatible with the new version. Still ironing out some bugs over there, but it mostly works IIRC.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 14, 2012, 04:01:08 pm »

evil biomes used to be fairly easy.
now, they fuck up your shit to the max.
4 hammerdorfs on embark and I still ended up falling victim to an undead spiral.

Sod this for a lark, I'm trying my luck with the unicorns.

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 14, 2012, 04:03:15 pm »

Speaking of tilesets, has anyone tried Truetype in this update?  Toady mentioned that he did a few fixes to it in the devlog.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 14, 2012, 04:09:26 pm »

I found out why there is an explosion of teeth when you punch someone in the mouth.
it has grouped teeth together, so it has 'upper front teeth' rather than individual ones, so you are, in fact, taking out a whole section of their mouth when you punch them, rather than an individual tooth.
Sweet! Now I can punch all of a crocodile's teeth out at once instead of needing to punch them out individually one at a time.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 14, 2012, 04:18:35 pm »

I found out why there is an explosion of teeth when you punch someone in the mouth.
it has grouped teeth together, so it has 'upper front teeth' rather than individual ones, so you are, in fact, taking out a whole section of their mouth when you punch them, rather than an individual tooth.
Sweet! Now I can punch all of a crocodile's teeth out at once instead of needing to punch them out individually one at a time.
I liked to do that, one at the time.  :-\
Also, undead animals get marked for butchery and even yield some meat sometimes but it happens horribly slow. There can be a dozen of corpses lying around but 'butcher an animal' job gets canceled and single auto butcher job shows up a while later. Looks like atom smashing is the only solution early on. And that tentacle grass gives me nausea.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Xieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 14, 2012, 04:30:11 pm »

My first new world.  Decided to pop into legends first. Opened up artifacts.  My very first artifact created by worldgen?  Necroblister.  I am going to love this version.

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #209 on: February 14, 2012, 04:33:39 pm »

I just discovered (though fairly uninteresting) I can -cut- stone, as in into gems. As in wtf? make rock gems. kind of defeats the purpose of gems, no? Is this a bug?

Edit: on of my dwarves has a LOT of jewelry. ten bracelets on each hand/arm then a lot of earrings, and rings on every finger, I think he has about 7/8 pages in his inventory. The funny thing all of them are made from tiger, tiger tooth/nail/bone/hair. So I have a look at his kill list, 168 tigers. He made trophies out of his victims! :o
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 04:48:08 pm by lemmily »
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22