Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.01 Released  (Read 107220 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.01 Released
« Reply #270 on: February 16, 2012, 04:52:05 am »

I think in one of my worlds I had a town with 15000 humans...but I may be wrong and I can't look into it now.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 16, 2012, 05:21:59 am »

Yes because I just finished designating and digging 120 levels to get to magma, and found it highly frustrating...
You *did* remember to use the new 3D-designation, right?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Blurk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 16, 2012, 06:35:51 am »

HOW THE FUCKING HELL DO HUNT VAMPS!!!!

You walk up to people and ask them if they are vampires, and if they are, they will tell you they are.

EDIT: HOW THE FUCKING HELL DO I HUNT VAMPS IN FORTRESS MODE

Split up all your dwarves in to pairs of 2.
let each pair in a small room.
when someone dies somewhere flood that room with magma
????
problem solved.

Then again i have only encountered 1 vampire in my fort, but he killed someone in the slums where the people i cant really use live. So its not an issue. yet.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 16, 2012, 08:25:34 am »

Reposting from somewhere else:

I love the increase in the number of children. I know it seems weird at first but it's... dare I say... realistic?

In a historical environment, you would expect about 1/3 of your population to be children. People really used to have loads of kids, you need them to fill in the holes after appalling mortality rates. Earlier in Dwarf Fortress you could easily lose dozens of dwarves per year and your population would miraculously recover... without any children. The number of in-fortress births was always insignificant.

What DF needs now is some infant/child mortality. I would say the birth rate is spot on, you just need a third of those children to die before they reach adulthood so there isn't so many of them. :evil:
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

LittleJP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 16, 2012, 08:40:06 am »

I'm pretty sure the average fort's mortality rate is much higher than that of infant mortality.
In case it wasn't obvious, I do know that dividing by zero is a mathematical impossibility. I do not know, however, how this dwarven calculator would react if anyone attempted the impossible. Please, someone try! xD
If you look back in the thread, some people did try, and they got 8008135, which is significant only in that the digits resemble the letter in "BOOBIES".
And so dwarf fortress solves yet another of lifes great mysteries.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 16, 2012, 09:25:19 am »

Jiri probably talked about mortality for "natural" reasons. As of now we have only miscarriages and those happens only if poor mother got a lot of damage before birth.
Unfortunately, those "natural" reasons would be large project on its own. Diseases (like syndromes, but natural, not supernatural), scoliosis, bad eyes, cancer, kidney/pancreas/liver etc that actually does something, and other medical Fun for everyone, not only children.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 16, 2012, 09:34:19 am »

HOW THE FUCKING HELL DO HUNT VAMPS!!!!

You walk up to people and ask them if they are vampires, and if they are, they will tell you they are.

EDIT: HOW THE FUCKING HELL DO I HUNT VAMPS IN FORTRESS MODE

Split up all your dwarves in to pairs of 2.
let each pair in a small room.
when someone dies somewhere flood that room with magma
????
problem solved.

Then again i have only encountered 1 vampire in my fort, but he killed someone in the slums where the people i cant really use live. So its not an issue. yet.

well that helps. also i lost 2 legendary workers so consider your self lucky
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 16, 2012, 11:22:34 am »

Roughly 1/2 of my massive immigrant waves are now farmers, some of whom have a few weapon skills.
Which is totally awesome since that's exactly what you'd expect a real sample of peasant population to be.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 16, 2012, 11:36:23 am »

Roughly 1/2 of my massive immigrant waves are now farmers, some of whom have a few weapon skills.
Which is totally awesome since that's exactly what you'd expect a real sample of peasant population to be.

Techncially speaking, it would actually be closer to 90%, although that is if you count fishermen and shepherds as "farmers" in certain regions of the world...

Real Medieval farming was subsistence agriculture with only a small amount of excess crop that could be shuttled off to the small portions of society that weren't just farmers or drafted peasants used to fill out armies.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #279 on: February 16, 2012, 01:07:42 pm »

Now, now... Stop trying to drag reality into things. It just sits in the corner and glares. Last time, it bit someone and we had to send it home.
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 16, 2012, 01:10:50 pm »

Of course, the small section of society that isn't 90% farmer is what Fort Mode focuses on. Hopefully the coming farming rewrite and hill dwarves will both correct that imbalance.

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 16, 2012, 01:28:27 pm »

Hill Dwarves? No findy findy on Wiki. Interesting sound to it.

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:horrifying features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 16, 2012, 01:35:39 pm »

Hill dwarves are the cannon fodder dwarves that you'll most likely be able to recruit when the army arc gets finished.
Yes, mother ****ing walruses stormed in through my well room, fatally gored my expedition leader, and danced off into the frosty tundra to sing happy walrus songs about oysters.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 16, 2012, 01:40:50 pm »

They were discussed in one of the DF Talks at length, I forget which. Basically, they'll be the surrounding dwarves/peasants who supply your fort/city with food, military strength, etc. The idea is that farming will get redone to be more labor intensive (at the very least,) at which point you can maintain a small population on your own farming abilities, make everyone a farmer and sustain yourself that way, or have a more typically diverse fort by drawing on their resources. Being cut off from them will be a big reason sieges become dangerous.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 16, 2012, 02:10:35 pm »

They were discussed in one of the DF Talks at length, I forget which. Basically, they'll be the surrounding dwarves/peasants who supply your fort/city with food, military strength, etc. The idea is that farming will get redone to be more labor intensive (at the very least,) at which point you can maintain a small population on your own farming abilities, make everyone a farmer and sustain yourself that way, or have a more typically diverse fort by drawing on their resources. Being cut off from them will be a big reason sieges become dangerous.

Here's the quote:
Quote from: DF Talk 12
Rainseeker:   I'm sorry, for those of us that don't know what you mean, what are hill dwarves?
Toady:   Hill dwarves ... The main idea is that if you want to have an army arc and you want to be able to compete at the numbers that other civilizations are putting out there, and if you want to actually go on the offensive especially - because you can lock up your fortress and trap people and do horrible siege things to them and magma and later when we have moving fortresses I don't even want to know what people are going to grind the poor attacking armies into - but if you want to go on the offensive and you hope to actually make your mark on the world then you're going to need more dwarves than fifty or sixty or seventy dwarves, and this is where hill dwarves come in. Now hill dwarves, it's not just to say that you have a bunch of dwarves living just in hills, like their copies of hobbits or something, but it's just meaning that they're outside your fortress, either in the wilderness or they've colonised the underground lairs that you've got, you could make deeper colonies of dwarves as well. And that might be related to getting extra mining, it might be related to just getting extra farming, or they could totally just be subsisting by themselves. But the idea would be that you could send out dwarves from your fortress, you can arm them, you can train them and you can send them out to cause trouble. At the same time they'd be able to come to your fortress and trade, probably mostly food and other things like that, so you can do some exports that way without having to wait a long time for a caravan; if you want to do it. Like I was saying, this is only really required for a fort that wants to be an expansionist military rather than a strictly defensive dwarf military setup. At the same time that we're adding hill dwarves we'll probably - if they're not already in - we'll be adding the fortress embark scenarios, so that you can say 'We have three hundred dwarves left to go found a fortress out in the wild' or, whatever 'to go found a fortress on the border with the goblin kingdom'; then you'd have dwarves inside your fortress and you'd have dwarves outside your fortress. It totally changes the relationship with migrants and how many dwarves you have, so it's a big deal. But that's not to say that the old gameplay system wouldn't also be preserved where you can start with a small number of dwarves and have a different sort, or a smaller kind of operation going on, rather than one where you're worried about playing more of this world strategic game. But if you want to play the world strategic game, which is part of what the army arc is about and part of what having a world map is about - it's so underused in dwarf mode - then you need more numbers, and you can't just have them all on the map, it's just not practical, as we've seen with the frames per second that we get. The alternatives are like having ever dwarf count for twenty dwarves or something, but we just didn't want to do it that way, especially with it how it has to match in with adventure mode, and how adventure mode actually has all the people all over the place. So your fortress would have more sprawl to it itself.
Rainseeker:   Are you thinking that you'd allow dwarves to train, or you could set up training that happens off the map, basically?
Toady:   Yeah, and it could be all kinds of things. You basically have representatives from your fortress sent out to the ... kind of in the way we were talking about, as the player you're in control of the official capacities of the dwarves, it would give you that position over a whole population that you have even less control over, all these hill dwarves. I don't know if you have to take care of you hill dwarves, maybe they'll leave, maybe they'll just attack, try and get new people in charge of the main fortress. We've kind of put you in the position of being a noble from the beginning in a way, and then when you become a barony you would be a baron over your barony of hill dwarves, so taxing the hill dwarves might be a big theme, going out and taxing your poor hill dwarves. We don't want to get too far off topic, I guess, not that we ever had a problem with that before, but it's just I don't want to talk about something I haven't completely ... well, that never stopped me either, but let me just say that Zach and I have not one hundred percent worked this out, but that's the idea with hill dwarves, and that's the justification for hill dwarves, and no, you're not going to have to have hill dwarves.
Capntastic:   They're your off-screen buddies and that's all you need to know.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22