Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.01 Released  (Read 107189 times)

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.01 Released
« Reply #300 on: February 16, 2012, 10:26:16 pm »

Hmmm... Everytime I gen a 1050 year smaller world, it crashed when I hit enter to accept... Curious. Maybe I will just stick to a shorter history world:p

EDIT: Scratch that, ANY world I gen, regardless of time, crashes when I accept. Just tried a 50 year one. Guess I'll stick to the previous version for a bit still...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:04:11 pm by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 16, 2012, 11:23:54 pm »

My impressions of Adventure Mode after not having played it for quite a long time:

• I know this isn't new to this version, but the aimed attack system is incredibly fun, aside from a bit of a clunky interface.
  • It's still rather slow, both to generate a world (even slower now, I think?) and to journey around in it.
  • Even with a "Demigod" it's nearly impossible to match, say, bandit leaders in ability. Bandit attacks happen very often and are very harsh, and it doesn't help that you still start off with a possibly poor weapon and no armor.
  • Combat/wounds/bodies are still a little messed up. There are still some strange disparities between how you expect creatures to act and how they do act, organ damage and broken bones don't necessarily do as much as you'd expect, some items of simple clothing seem to deflect attacks a lot more than is reasonable, silver is still inexplicably very good for a lot of weaponry (and used far too often by historical people to make them, even swords and such), armor layering is still a bit over the top, and whips still essentially act like you're getting shot by a pistol. Not that any of this is new, really.
  • The new towns are a little... spartan? It's hard to even find a decent armor or weapons shop. Towns seem pretty far apart from each other sometimes, and don't often have a whole lot in them. I find it pretty strange that throughout an entire human civilization, I'd actually have trouble finding a decent weapon shop, and some of them actually wind up being devoid of goods when I find them! Really, I feel like there should be more of most things, especially in major towns. Maybe it would help to generate a world for more than 250 years; I wouldn't know, because on a medium world, it would take an extremely long time to do so, at least on the mediocre computers I have access to.
  • Punching the hand off a mummy, while ridiculous, is very fun.
  • Navigating the towns is a bit of a pain. The "significant buildings" list will show a building, but then you drop down into the town itself and sometimes it's very hard to actually find what you're looking for, especially if the town is on uneven terrain.
  • Adventure Mode desperately needs some sort of viewable units list. Especially with varied ground tiles on. It can be incredibly easy to miss a unit on the battlefield, especially, say, a green-colored bowgoblin standing in the grass. In an ASCII game like this where knowing enemy locations matters a lot, and where missing something can mean certain death, something indicating what creatures you can see is invaluable.
  • The hamlets, towns, keeps, etc., despite some flaws (like the ones mentioned earlier, plus towns being built with little regard for effective use of uneven terrain), are pretty nice touches when traveling across the world.
  • Bogeyman/Night Creature ambushes are severe enough that instead of simply discouraging being out during the night, it outright forbids it on most characters. I'm honestly not sure I consider that a fun challenge, because it's less "it's harder to travel at night" and more "make sure you keep accurate track of time or you'll die". I think lowering the severity and frequency of these ambushes would help.
  • I've heard at least one report of someone being stuck in a cave forever because they accidentally built a campfire in the hallway leading out. Apparently they last forever, and there's no way to move past them or put them out. A problem!

Overall, it's pretty fun and quirky, and it's nice that there are some new things to do in it. I still savescum like crazy though, due to how random and weird it can be at some points, and to avoid/circumvent bugs.

Speaking of bugs, I found a pretty interesting one. Well, bug or set of bugs. Hard to tell.

Another edit: I realized I'm apparently talking a lot about stuff that isn't even new to this version. I never really played adventure mode in 0.31 though, so... yeah.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 04:18:50 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 17, 2012, 12:19:59 am »

Not before you make a bug report, rtg493!

I haven't had the chance to get killed by bogeymen yet. Still, with bandits the way they are, going anywhere further than a days travel is out of the question. You can't keep followers alive long enough to survive in the wilderness. I haven't found the need to go far from town though.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Disreputable_Dog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 17, 2012, 06:16:57 am »

this new release really looks like its made things much more interesting in adv mode (which i had been ignoring up until now) and was all geared up to start a character, but the news of all these bugs, the night-curfew-imposing nocturnal baddies, and the insanely populous bandits has be feeling a little scared off. Maybe i'll wait until its calmed and patched a bit before i start my adventure :P

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 17, 2012, 07:26:12 am »

My current character is sneaking and crutch walking everywhere outside of fast travel mode. It's raising skills and I can dodge bandits. Works well, so far.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 17, 2012, 08:13:12 am »

Nemesis Unit Load Failed. Funny how a game-ruining error from 40d days still sticks around.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #306 on: February 17, 2012, 09:13:13 am »

Speaking of bugs, I found a pretty interesting one. Well, bug or set of bugs. Hard to tell.

with the result of myself starting off in a cavern, as a nameless crundle, surrounded by "peasants" who were also nameless, and also crundles. The description screens of my adventurer and my fellow crundles corroborated the fact that, yes, we were crundles.

For some reason, this bug report has me in stitches  ;D
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 17, 2012, 01:43:46 pm »

Is it just me, or are all lairs inhabited solely by naked peasants? Is this a bug?
But .... It's so small!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 17, 2012, 01:45:57 pm »

Is it just me, or are all lairs inhabited solely by naked peasants? Is this a bug?

There's a bug report about werecreatures and vampires just hanging out in their lairs, naked.  I'm guessing that's what your "peasants" are.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 17, 2012, 02:18:49 pm »

Still not sure if it's a bug, but legends mode seems to be a 100% guaranteed way to identify any vampire.
While Legends mode are expected to have everything, carrying it on engravings is problem, if vampire cover is not yet blown. I think Toady will have to implement public and secret historical knowledge...
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 17, 2012, 05:40:48 pm »

You has struck awesomantine! Praise the Toady One!
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 17, 2012, 06:51:36 pm »

I really love the new towns, they feel organic.  I have only had 2 adventurers and they died fast deaths. I like the difficulty level too.
One thing I noticed is I cant find any shop that sells bags, or waterskins, or backpacks? I had a character start without them and I couldnt find them anywhere for sale.

Also, is there a way to buy a map for the sewers? I would like to see some randomly generated quest-items in shops. Keys, maps, etc, stuff that will make people want to check in shops in town to see if they find something interesting.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 17, 2012, 07:03:41 pm »

I can't find any way into the sewers.
But .... It's so small!

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 17, 2012, 07:08:32 pm »

One thing I noticed is I cant find any shop that sells bags, or waterskins, or backpacks? I had a character start without them and I couldnt find them anywhere for sale.

Haven't made it far enough to answer your question, but I often start as a human outsider and the first thing I do is search around the village it puts me near, usually inside at least one house you'll find some bags with berries in them. It's not as good as a backpack since you have to hold it with a hand and it won't autoput to the bag, but it's way better than nothing.

Eating the berries didn't seem to apply to hunger correctly so I'll have to test that some more.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 17, 2012, 07:09:14 pm »

Still not sure if it's a bug, but legends mode seems to be a 100% guaranteed way to identify any vampire.
While Legends mode are expected to have everything, carrying it on engravings is problem, if vampire cover is not yet blown. I think Toady will have to implement public and secret historical knowledge...

That's why I haven't filed it as a bug, because it might be intended behavior. Worth noting, though.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22