Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.01 Released  (Read 107187 times)

fungee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.01 Released
« Reply #285 on: February 16, 2012, 02:45:17 pm »

*drool* Gonna try this out tomorrow when I have time! Thanks for the earlier than expected release :)
It's easy being an experimentalist. If you fail try again.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 16, 2012, 03:16:49 pm »

Of course, the small section of society that isn't 90% farmer is what Fort Mode focuses on. Hopefully the coming farming rewrite and hill dwarves will both correct that imbalance.

Well, if we look at why people might want to emigrate in the DF game-world, it would probably be because they were either A) the younger children of farmers (who help on the farm as children, and as such, gain farming skill) that cannot inherit the land, and went off in search of other work they were not initially trained or skilled in (which is much like real life), or else, B) their farm/village/town was burned down by an invading army or a dragon or something, and so they are seeking refuge in a place that has a freakin' magma cannon and eats sieges for breakfast. 

Either way, it favors the less-protected farmers to be the immigrants. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

idgarad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 16, 2012, 04:22:57 pm »

Can we get nightly auto-build releases in the future so we can get bleeding edge releases to try?

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 16, 2012, 04:25:42 pm »

One thing that occurred to me, is that the region you generate in world gen isn't even modelling a world, or at least should'nt be. It should be some small portion of a larger planet. Like, Ireland would be the region you play in and people can still come to and from Ireland.

I'd like to see changes that reflect that, I think many migrants should be spontaneous generated to reflect migrations from outside the region, instead of every migrant being a historical figure.

I'd also like to see the hard coded temperature gradients on world gen done away with to model a more homogenous geographical region, like Ireland.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 16, 2012, 04:35:31 pm »

It is rather Euclidean in nature, but I always consider it to be an entire world (maybe not a planet, but a "platter-world").  The edge-effect (whether mostly landlocked or oceanic entirely all the way round in an Island embark variation) is a peculiarity, but if it was wrap-around it'd probably be toroidal, anyway.

Scale-wise, I know it's generally smaller than a planet, but I haven't really given a mind to the theoretical sizes that everything from Pocket to maximum-sized worlds are.  (I'm sure this has been quantized, perhaps in the same threads that discussed how Z-levels are logarithmically varying according to their height.)  But if you're truly bothered by no-one wandering in (or out?) via the edges, then the island variation will actually be very much like Ireland, and (with the current mechanics eschewing watercraft) explain the lack of edge-migration.

Despite all that, Armok knows that there's enough nastiness around the world to cause problems to more than explain why "off the edge" is not a good place to go, or come from...  IMO.

Zara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 16, 2012, 05:08:14 pm »

Let's see if the clothes lying around bug is fixed in this version.

Too bad, apparently it isn't fixed. When I started a military, my new captain of the guard dropped his clothes when it he put on his new metal armor, and didn't make any attempts to store them properly. Must be part of this bug: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=535 It would really appreciate it, if we could get this issue fixed with one of the bugfixes in this release. 

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 16, 2012, 05:10:00 pm »

Scale-wise, I know it's generally smaller than a planet, but I haven't really given a mind to the theoretical sizes that everything from Pocket to maximum-sized worlds are.  (I'm sure this has been quantized, perhaps in the same threads that discussed how Z-levels are logarithmically varying according to their height.) 

Math powers, INTEGRATE!

It depends on your assumptions of how large a tile is, of course, but assuming a 3-meter-cubed cubic tile, then you can reduce from the circumference of the Earth (roughly 40,000 km) and the 48 tiles in a single local map tile, and 16 local map tiles in a region map tile.

Or, in other words, a single region tile is roughly 5 km2, and a single edge is 2.3 km long.

To reach 40,000 km, then, you would need a map with roughly 17,400 region tiles width at the equator. 

Meanwhile, the largest map we can generate is 2572 in size.  That equates to 592 km along one edge and a total area of 152,157 km2, compared to the Earth's 510,072,000 km2, or roughly 0.02% of the surface area of the Earth.

Interestingly enough, Ireland has a surface area of 70,273 km2, so a 125x257 sized map of Ireland would be roughly accurate.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 16, 2012, 06:25:38 pm »

Yes because I just finished designating and digging 120 levels to get to magma, and found it highly frustrating...
You *did* remember to use the new 3D-designation, right?

I would have... If I hadn't been writing a post saying I'm excited a new release just came out with this new tool, because I just finished doing this...
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 16, 2012, 06:41:18 pm »

I couldn't help but note the difference between the historical figures number and the number of dead; this should give the sort of historical figure population. If memory serves, in my Large world, it was about 18000 people, whereas in older versions it was about 2000 for a comparable world size. I could be wrong on this, but it might explain some world gen speed decrease. It might also explain the titan genocide.

EDIT: I noticed in the ask Toady thread or whatever it's called that someone said they'd noticed lightening fast bandits running over to them and masacaring them after taking one step. I don't think this is a bug; it just happened to me, but I think it was supposed to happen.

See, I had just taken an arrow to the leg, which snapped a tendon, sending me to the ground. The enormous group of bandits that had jumped me had quickly wiped out my army of followers (I'd just spent about half an hour recruiting them), so I equipped the world's only crutch that I'd found in some lair, and stood up. Standing up was okay, but I took one step, and the whole bandit group ran over and started laying into me. I'd forgotten that having a crutch slows you down based on your skill, and this was the first time I'd used a crutch, so I had no skill. Therefore, I'd handed many turns of combat to the enterprising elf bandit who'd killed me by moving one step. Irritating.

Still, it would be nice if I could travel the wilds a bit. These bandits are just overwhelming. I can't go anywhere. Why are there so many? There's no point in doing quests, because you can't go from one town to another without killing enough bandits to increase your rep by taking them out.

On the whole, adventure mode is great. All the features are good; it's just a shame there's nothing to buy in towns apart from food, bone rubbish, and clothes. I've found one weapon shop, and one gem cutter's so far.

The game, as it stands now, would sorely benefit from the ability to feed your followers, equip them with armour and weapons, and a hospital for adventurers.

It's still great though. It reminds me of Syndicate. Kill bandits so that you can persuadatron people.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:45:33 pm by Buttery_Mess »
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Kearn

• Bay Watcher
  • insert witty tagline here
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 16, 2012, 09:12:10 pm »

when i attempt to link a lever to an upright spear trap, one of the options on the list is an upright candy stick in an undiscovered funhouse in the caverns
i like goats

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 16, 2012, 09:39:46 pm »

Hmmm.... Only 10 minutes to reach 250 years... Going for a 550 to see if this *looks both ways* hacked DF exe works any better :-D Since, you know, no ones been able to get past 250...

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5528

EDIT: all settings to default, except larger history and frequent minerals. Didn't change anything else.

E2: 20 minutes in, 338 years. 154,202 historical figures, 149,876 dead. Oi.

E3: Bah. 346 years at 22 minutes, windows suddenly said it stopped working... Still, 10 minutes to 250 years seems a bit faster than what everyone else was saying...

2.3 gz Dual core, 3 gig ram. 64-bit Win7.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 09:51:38 pm by rtg593 »

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #296 on: February 16, 2012, 09:59:06 pm »

E3: Bah. 346 years at 22 minutes, windows suddenly said it stopped working... Still, 10 minutes to 250 years seems a bit faster than what everyone else was saying...

It did not stop working. Rather it is never getting around to checking its pending operating system events, which to Windows looks the same.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 16, 2012, 10:02:37 pm »

It did not stop working. Rather it is never getting around to checking its pending operating system events, which to Windows looks the same.

I assumed.

Test 2, 4 minutes in, smaller world, fewer civilizations, at 765 years, 1 year per second. Went for 1050 years to see how far it would go. Definitely way faster with less world to work with, and fewer civilizations...

EDIT: 7 minutes, smaller world, fewer civilizations, frequent minerals. 1,050 year generation complete. Cool. Now that Pheobeus and Therapist are working for .34, lets' strike the earth!

EDIT2: :-( I hit export to see what it did...when my mouse cursor came back I hit enter to go... and it crashed :'(
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:08:39 pm by rtg593 »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 16, 2012, 10:07:47 pm »

Still not sure if it's a bug, but legends mode seems to be a 100% guaranteed way to identify any vampire. This thus carries on to engravings. On a related note, here's the nastiest vampire I've found yet. (Copied with OneNote, so there are OCR errors.) About to go kill it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 16, 2012, 10:19:01 pm »

Minor Bug:
When I made a glazed statue, I noticed this in the description:

"This is a well-crafted earthenware statue of dwarves.
The item is a well-designed image of two dwarves in earthenware by Tulom Zelerogem.
It is glazed with oval tin glazed cabochons."

Oval cabochons is a gem cut...

This is because cassiterite has [IS_STONE], and you are supposed to be able to cut stone like a gem.  I modded the game in a way that glazes were considered bone meal, and it stopped happening.

It's on Mantis already, before you say anything.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22