Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.01 Released  (Read 110057 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.01 Released
« Reply #240 on: February 15, 2012, 12:40:04 pm »

Has anyone found which shops would sell waterskins? Maybe they're being pushed out by other wares?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 15, 2012, 01:21:47 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not a bug per se, but she was absolutely covered with jewelry made out of elf, human, and dwarf nails, bones and hair. I mean pages and pages of jewelry. The lasher must have cut off a hand or something, because she lost hold of three pages of low-quality jewelry when it fell off. The lasher eventually killed her; she didn't try to run away, maybe because it was day? I don't know. But really there shouldn't be so many pieces of crap jewelry lying around.

I know there should be some demand for low-quality low-cost jewelry, but the most powerful people in the city shouldn't be wearing it. Perhaps there should be a routine whereby people will only wear so many pieces of jewelry, and throw away the worst stuff. Anyway, with so much junk bone jewelry being made, market forces would make even medium quality items affordable to the poor. All the lowest-quality stuff should be destroyed. It'd speed the game up and improve its realism.

Has anyone found which shops would sell waterskins? Maybe they're being pushed out by other wares?

Yeah I think so. I couldn't find a crutch anywhere.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:33:30 pm by Buttery_Mess »
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 15, 2012, 01:26:16 pm »

Not a bug per se, but she was absolutely covered with jewelry made out of elf, human, and dwarf nails, bones and hair. I mean pages and pages of jewelry. The lasher must have cut off a hand or something, because she lost hold of three pages of low-quality jewelry when it fell off. The lasher eventually killed her; she didn't try to run away, maybe because it was day? I don't know. But really there shouldn't be so many pieces of crap jewelry lying around.

Here's the bug report.  Overabundant jewelry from high kill counts has been in the game for a while, but vampires have taken it to a new level.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 15, 2012, 01:39:11 pm »

Here's the bug report.  Overabundant jewelry from high kill counts has been in the game for a while, but vampires have taken it to a new level.

Ugh, I hate mantis. I find it so hard to search for bugs before I post my own. I never like to post a bug report unless I know no-one else has posted one.

It doesn't seem to me like so many titans should be killed in world gen. They're all gone by year 250. There's nothing to fight by the end of world gen.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 15, 2012, 02:26:42 pm »

Wow. That is a huge update.

Question for the super experts: While looking through the raws, it seems that this version is the first where a 'base' critter has a vermin tag, as well as giant/animal person variants that inherit tags from the base critter. So then, will the giant version of said critter inherit vermin traits like becoming unbutcherable?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 15, 2012, 02:40:53 pm »

Wow. That is a huge update.

Question for the super experts: While looking through the raws, it seems that this version is the first where a 'base' critter has a vermin tag, as well as giant/animal person variants that inherit tags from the base critter. So then, will the giant version of said critter inherit vermin traits like becoming unbutcherable?

The ANIMAL_PERSON and ANIMAL_PERSON_LEGLESS creature variations are applied to animal people, and those variations strip out any VERMIN and NOT_BUCTHERABLE tags along with a crapload of other stuff.

schwarzie2478

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 15, 2012, 02:41:26 pm »

Congratz on the new release!
After reading the development updates for the last 4 weeks, really exited about this release.
Amazing effort again.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 15, 2012, 03:04:52 pm »

I already met a Thrips Woman. There's an awful lot of critters in this release that I have no idea what they are. Going to be hammering wikipedia for a while, I think.
But .... It's so small!

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 15, 2012, 03:17:36 pm »

Toady,

Thanks.  I've been doing a few world gens with the new version, with the exact same settings as my old modified pocket.  Well about as much as the same as is humanly possible.  I just ran both versions and tweaked a new v34.01 advanced gen.  Lotsa new sinister visitors in there, vampires, undead clounds, and other joyful FUN! 

I'm wandering, if one of these is causing this Civ requirements error that keeps spawning rejections.  It doesn't appear in my older version, with exactly the same world gen tweaks.  I'm in the process of selectively removing each sinister visitor in an effort to isolate the new sinister visitor whose Civ requirement, maybe causing the error.

I'm getting very little variety in the blocks, and this could be the cause, too.  But that is just from observation.  It may be I'm failing to produce enough mountains in Discworld.  I'm sure its human error, in me copying the settings and making the new Discworld modified wide pocket world.  Thanks Toady!  Back to the testing board.  If I find a bug, I'll send it in.

Sicnerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Yakko

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 15, 2012, 03:38:49 pm »

Thanks a lot for the update, just signed up to the forums today but been playing on and off for a while, i've got a bit better of late and I'm completly hooked now  :D

Couple of issues i've come across is the crashing while talking to npcs in adventure which has been mentioned but it only seemed to happen me on a larger map smaller ones seemed ok but my fps jumps over 1000+ in adventure for whatever reason and lags me for a second or 2 ocassionaly it's capped at 100 though so not sure why.

Also in world generation medium/large maps combined with 1050 history lock up at around the 250-270 year mark and DF becomes unresponsive, I don't think it's anything to do with my hardware specs as my pc runs fine throughout the whole thing just DF stops responding and maybe updates by 1 year ever 5 minutes or so.

StephanReiken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 15, 2012, 04:47:17 pm »

Thanks a lot for the update, just signed up to the forums today but been playing on and off for a while, i've got a bit better of late and I'm completly hooked now  :D

Couple of issues i've come across is the crashing while talking to npcs in adventure which has been mentioned but it only seemed to happen me on a larger map smaller ones seemed ok but my fps jumps over 1000+ in adventure for whatever reason and lags me for a second or 2 ocassionaly it's capped at 100 though so not sure why.

Also in world generation medium/large maps combined with 1050 history lock up at around the 250-270 year mark and DF becomes unresponsive, I don't think it's anything to do with my hardware specs as my pc runs fine throughout the whole thing just DF stops responding and maybe updates by 1 year ever 5 minutes or so.

I got to about the same point and then it started taking 10-20 minutes a year and then an hour and finally after 3 hours the next year didn't pass.

I don't know if its a bug or the increase in world generation variables leads to crashes on lower end processors. (Mines 2.61 GHz Quad core running only 2 of its cores.)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 15, 2012, 04:48:13 pm »

Oh wow, it's actually here.

You know what I noticed amidst all the epic-level additions and changes in the game? Alphanumeric world seeds. And when I noticed that, you know the lack of what I noticed? A "Random" setting for world size. It can't be that hard to implement, can it? Sometimes you want a really random world, defined by a single word.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 15, 2012, 05:17:16 pm »

It seems a bit difficult to go anywhere or do anything with all these bloody bandits about. And no Titans to fight! Unless I dig down and hunt for FBs. I like the cities, but I just wish they had something worth buying in them.
But .... It's so small!

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 15, 2012, 06:34:44 pm »

maybe he became a vampire after becoming mayor?

Point is that, unless the vampire was unmasked in some way, being able to look at a coin and see that a particular person is a human vampire does not seem like intended behavior.

so how did the legends mode play out his life? He became a vampire and just lived out the rest of his life as mayor with nobody noticing?
I havent tried the new version yet so i dont know how vampires work, but I remember in older version checking legends and seeing stories of kings/queens being abducted and turned to night creatures, and legends mode will refer to them as night creatures even in times before they were transformed.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 15, 2012, 08:55:59 pm »

I started genning a small world (67x67) three hours ago.  I actually took out some of the civs, reduced the number of interactions and such to try to make it go faster...

It's currently on the year 352.

After three hours.

I can't stop it because it takes so long to update that Windows just assumes the program has crashed, so I can't even hit escape.

Abstraction, Toady, abstraction is your friend.

We do not need to know the exact location of every granite goblet since the beginning of time.  There are reasonable ways to abstract this amount of data without losing the ability to shift a dwarven goblet halway around the world through the trade routes without needing to throw probability rolls for the chance to be traded on each and every individual item each and every game year.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22