Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is there an ethical way to train doctors?  (Read 11980 times)

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
Re: Is there an ethical way to train doctors?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 11:17:14 am »

Heres an attempt I made at doing this exact thing, getting a doctor to legendary in all medical skills.  Sadly, it got cut short due to a misunderstanding about ethics :\

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=93256.0
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

CandyTophat

• Bay Watcher
  • Pixels!
    • View Profile
    • The kindom of loathing!
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 04:08:44 pm »

Of course there's an ethical way to train doctors! Toss children off short cliffs. Since they're not useful adults, injuring them isn't a waste of valuable labor, and since they're not nobles, it's ethical to use short cliffs instead of tall ones!
Only in DF you throw children off cliffs as an ethical way to train doctors and surgeons.

Only in DF...

Sigged BTW
Dwarf fortress ethics.
Of course there's an ethical way to train doctors! Toss children off short cliffs. Since they're not useful adults, injuring them isn't a waste of valuable labor, and since they're not nobles, it's ethical to use short cliffs instead of tall ones!

Crinkles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 04:11:20 am »

There actually is a way to train doctors ethically: be heroic! Wounding dwarves is required to train doctors, but nobody ever said you had to wound them for the sake of wounding them. Send them to clear the caverns of dangerous beasts, fight off sieges with your military instead of just walling yourself in, that sort of thing. Your military dwarves will be doing useful stuff while also getting wounded in the process.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 04:29:26 am »

Or arrange Dorf v. Gob wrasslin' matches.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 04:56:24 am »

Or arrange Dorf v. Gob wrasslin' matches.

I like this idea. Gladiatorial matches are somewhat more ethical then straight-up throwing dwarves off cliffs.

Then again, not many bones are broken with unarmed melee and dwarves might die. I think tossing dwarves off cliffs is still the most practical solution, since the damage is controlled and accidental death is minimized.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 05:08:16 am »

True, most damage would be in terms of scratching, punching and kicking. Maybe some bites. Not much more than bruises or scratches at first though maybe one could throttle another. Or they punch each other in the brain.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 06:02:54 am »

Having a fortress guard, but no jail, lots of nobles, and ignoring mandates might work.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 10:43:11 am »

Mod in training material for doctors.

Otherwise, nope. We're the rare evil gaming community, after all.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 11:18:25 am »

OTher then that I'm fairly certain that the only real benefit to having better doctors is a slightly decreased rate of infection
Doctors can also fix broken bones so that dwarves can move around and use their limbs again.
Yeah but any doctor with bone setting, regardless of skill level, can set bones. All that skills determines is that they set them a tiny bit faster. The main point was that other then with diagnosis it really isn't that important to have skilled doctors versus having unskilled ones.
Perhaps it also affects the chance of those dreaded permanent yellow wounds getting healed? I've had "impaired ability to grasp" get healed a few times, for example.

I don't really think that's due to the doctor's skill. It's just that dwarves can have impaired grasp for a couple of reasons: either because of a wound to muscle/bone (which can heal) or due to nerve damage (which never heals).

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 11:49:45 am »

Suggestion: A "dissect corpse" reaction that consumes a corpse or body part and trains your medics.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 05:26:57 pm »

There actually is a way to train doctors ethically: be heroic! Wounding dwarves is required to train doctors, but nobody ever said you had to wound them for the sake of wounding them. Send them to clear the caverns of dangerous beasts, fight off sieges with your military instead of just walling yourself in, that sort of thing. Your military dwarves will be doing useful stuff while also getting wounded in the process.

This, very much this. There is nothing unethical about sending your poorly trained military out after forgotten beasts and seiges.

Crinkles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 04:45:32 pm »

This, very much this. There is nothing unethical about sending your poorly trained military out after forgotten beasts and seiges.

I like to think they knew what they were signing up for....when I drafted them.
Pages: 1 [2]