Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Townsgame  (Read 4228 times)

NaTT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Townsgame
« on: February 13, 2012, 04:30:47 pm »

I'm disgusted with this game. It's a total rip off DF. Only the graphics and the concept of switching fotress to towns are diffrent. Also it's more casual friendly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgrUb0zW9Q8

I know that the industry loves to copy cat ideas but this is just $#@%^ disgusting...

PS:
Btw hello there "dorfs" : ) my first post here. I play DF from d40 and wasn't so active cause of consulting my problems with a friend who is also playing or just finding things on the forum.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 04:32:34 pm by NaTT »

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Townsgame
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 04:34:27 pm »

You realize the maker posts on this forum, and that they have been actually discussing this game with more neutral/positive tones than sudden hate in another topic right?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 04:34:54 pm »

These threads crack me up.  :D
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 04:37:42 pm »

1. Search function, use it

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=94433.msg2668100#msg2668100

2. "The industry" The industry of indie games?

3.The guy making it has confessed it's a similar concept to DF, but honestly it's not that much of a blatant ripoff anymore. Heck I would say it's good to have games with similar concepts, since different devs can then take the games in the way they want (Since waiting X number of years for toady to introduce feature Y gets tiring after a while, I mean he's one man so he can't introduce everything in a short time, yet this person might introduce those features earlier)
Blargh.

NaTT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 04:40:08 pm »

Just wanted to share my disgust although should have searched the forum for topics on the game ; ) I'm not hating. I'm disgusted. When I work on smth (I'm a studying 3D graphic) I rely on somebodies work but this is just a plain rip of not only of the whole game but grabbing in an easy way  "gamerz MONIES!".

NaTT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 04:41:41 pm »

Similar concept? You saw that game? Wow put a mustache on the face and say you are similar to your self... and i don't have the problem with games having same concepts but it's like with doom, quake, or duke nukem 3d. That was a similar concept... this is a rip off.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 04:43:43 pm by NaTT »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 04:42:01 pm »

Just wanted to share my disgust although should have searched the forum for topics on the game ; ) I'm not hating. I'm disgusted. When I work on smth (I'm a studying 3D graphic) I rely on somebodies work but this is just a plain rip of not only of the whole game but grabbing in an easy way  "gamerz MONIES!".

I don't know why you are so worried, Dwarf Fortress really just ripped off Dig Dug and rogue-likes anyway.   :P

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 04:42:21 pm »

So heading onto the minecraft topics and complain about Notch ripping off others, as well as the various FPS shooters?

NaTT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 04:44:07 pm »

You don't get the point do you? : ) Oh, and I'm not worried I'm disgusted. -> disgusted <-.

Terraria and Minecraft. Similar concept. Towns is a rip off. That's just my opinion.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 04:46:28 pm »

You don't get the point do you? : ) Oh, and I'm not worried I'm disgusted. -> disgusted <-.

Terraria and Minecraft. Similar concept. Towns is a rip off. That's just my opinion.

Its a silly opinion.  What is the difference between a rip off and "Similar Concept"?

Edit:  Aw man, you are going to LOVE this game.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 04:49:36 pm by Levi »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 04:57:39 pm »

Oh and the Goblin Camp one too.

Sorry NaTT you might have to get over it. Here in Other Games we've kind of come to accept that DF is spawning a genre. Also, the difference between being disgusted at a game dev and hating on them is kind of nonexistant on the internet. Either way you don't like what they're doing and want them to stop. If you played Towns you'd probably realize that it's similar but definitely different than DF.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 05:03:07 pm »

You are a idiot my good sir, while it has based its roots to DF, Towns have shifted their goals towards a Majesty-like game. let me get this straight right now. NO ONE and i mean NO ONE will ever be able to copy DF, this game is just beyond people now and considering 6 years of development no way in hell is anyone gonna shortcut that in 1 year.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 05:08:26 pm »

Have you played it?
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 05:51:45 pm »

You are a idiot my good sir
[/quote]
     ^
   This.

Only a jackass shoots off at the mouth about things without first looking around. A) It's not that similar. B) one of many games drawing inspiration from DF. C) Already a couple of topics, one lengthy, discussing this game

When DF started it was a ripoff of previous Roguelikes. If some jackass had his way then it would never have had a chance to grow into the work of art it is now. Towns will never be as epic as DF, thankfully only the original will otherwise we might all die of starvation.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 05:59:28 pm »

I humbly hope and believe that our work might even benefit Dwarf Fortress. there are a lot of people who are not willing to take that initial step into DF because of all the known reasons and our game might be the stepping stone between not playing anything in this genre and playing DF.

And look, we did manage to do one positive thing - we brought at least one new member into the community, so welcome!
Pages: [1] 2 3