Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Restart syndrome  (Read 2236 times)

Lainers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Restart syndrome
« on: February 13, 2012, 03:02:30 pm »

I kinda have it, and I'm looking for a cure... Right now, there are 15 abandoned fortress sitting in my map.

Maybe I'm afraid of having so much "fun". :P

Magma Mater

• Bay Watcher
  • Stray Cat cancels hunt vermin: seeking infant.
    • View Profile
Re: Restart syndrome
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 03:29:10 pm »

Maybe you just lack ambition.

Lainers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 03:33:33 pm »

That could be true.

Don57

• Bay Watcher
  • Commanding Fortresses Since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 03:39:46 pm »

That happens a lot to me, too -- though I usually get a fairly large fortress before I tire of it.  Often it's the result of some stupid mistakes made early on which end up affecting the design and layout of my fortress.  I guess being a bit of a perfectionist just exacerbates the problem.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 03:50:18 pm »

Ambition is a big part of it for me. If I set out to make a grand megaproject I'll lose interest quickly and never return to that fort, let alone that world. But if I set out to simply build a powerful fortress with virtually no plan, it may survive for decades.

If you suffer from procrastination in everyday life, don't set out with a plan or you'll procrastinate yourself right back out on the streets, starting a new fortress.

If it's OCD that's killing it, tell yourself that the design you're going for this time around is complete and utter chaos regulated only by necessity. Your OCD will still control how it turns out, but it can help prevent you from trying to savescum or quit altogether for every little thing. You will achieve perfect chaos, which will help in the next part:

The hardest thing to accomplish is defeating sheer boredom. Try embarking on more complex and interesting landscapes like high plateaus around river junctions that may or may not involve waterfalls, or search the world for volcanoes that only register as one square on the relative elevation map (the one displaying basic blocks from white to dark blue.) and build forts into their walls, especially if there's a deep river canyon on that embark. After that, don't go the efficient route or try to set up a military or serious industry; the more !!FUN!! you have, the more fun you'll have. Be overconfident with your enemies and try to defeat them with pure dwarfpower. Don't cower from FB's, although a little caution is advisable. Soon You'll be laughing your ass off while trying to get your fort back in order.
I actually have a link to my mod in my signature that tends to make things infinitely more entertaining military-wise. Both the EVIL mod and the dragonkin pack will provide some difficulty and possible entertainment value. I intend to update it soon. Really...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 04:02:25 pm »

Reclaim?

Lainers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 04:05:15 pm »

I'm still getting the basics. Right now, I can build a basic setup with workshops and gathering. I really want go deeper, but sometimes i got lost and end giving up.

Not to count the time when I embarked in a forest terrain w/o axes... :p

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 04:21:51 pm »

Succession fortress! Find at least one other player and share a fortress with them. The chaos that ensues will surely make things interesting again.
Quote from: KodKod
Quote from: enizer
"unit list other: 248, all kobolds"
"Hunt them for sport.

The Least Dangerous Game."

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 05:15:15 pm »

I'm still getting the basics. Right now, I can build a basic setup with workshops and gathering. I really want go deeper, but sometimes i got lost and end giving up.

You can dismantle your starting wagon (press "t" or "q", move cursor to wagon, press "x" to deconstruct) to receive 3 logs of wood - one of which you can use to build a carpenters workshop, and another of which you can use to make a wooden training axe in said carpenters workshop, which can cut down trees. Yes, a wooden axe can cut down wooden trees. Don't believe me? Go try it out for yourself!

No i mean really, get up off the computer chair, go find yourself a wooden axe, head outside to the nearest tree and start chopping.

Be sure to let me know what happens.

I'm curious.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 05:22:25 pm »

Some players spend aeons reading up on everything and then grasp the basics after a handful of forts. Some players learn by failing 100+ forts, learning something new (hopefully) each time. We lack information to give you a proper answer, what exactly do you mean by "I got lost"?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Lainers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 06:33:27 pm »

It is a focus thing to be honest. I shall make plans and try it again tonight.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 06:40:33 pm by Lainers »

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 06:36:30 pm »

I know this feeling. For me it's usually a design flaw that bugs me. And building aboveground means dismantling, or remodeling a structure can take a painstakingly long time - at least until you get a bunch of migrants.

The other big reason for me is a lack of !!FUN!!. I always lower the Titan requirements, but I still don't see any... I swore I set it at like 25 pop, 50,000 created...

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 09:36:32 pm »

My problem is I have a period where a fortress lasts maybe 20 years then I go to trying to find a good place for maybe 50 saves, abandoning and such, trying a few mods, going back to the basics, finding a good spot and repeating the cycle. Right now I'm at the mod stage *rolls eyes*.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 12:33:06 am »

I've hit this a few times too.  My solution has been this.. forbid yourself from savescumming, have a stiff drink when you feel like abandoning, use a bare minimum of traps, and lastly if you spend more than 10 seconds planning something mentally.. you are over thinking it.  Just start designating and get it over with, hah.  Dwarves will die a lot (which creates fun!).  Try things you don't usually do.. like beekeeping, aquifer, above-ground fort.

Lastly, if you feel like that embark isn't giving you that much fun.. then abandoning is the right thing to do.  But abandoning because you can't make steel is the wrong solution.  Have a good time!
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 01:13:08 am »

HEY CARNES IS BACK.

On a related note, Roleplay.