Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What does an inactive military do?  (Read 11548 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: What does an inactive military do?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 09:09:32 pm »

Hero dwarves ("great" or higher in a weapon skill, or legendary in a military skill) never go back to their old jobs - if you make them inactive, they just continue to train.

Unless you reassign them their jobs ;)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 09:22:47 pm »

It should be noted that miners, woodcutters and hunters have their own civilian "uniform" that conflicts with their military one, so it's usually best to avoid having these professions in your military.

Unless you know how to do it.

badum-PSH

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 10:26:25 pm »

OK, thanks for the replies!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 11:36:04 pm »

I often squad dwarves just to give them clothes.  If you've got a textiles industry, it can be fun to deck your smiths in red capes or whatnot.  My civilian guard is sometimes made of legendary boneworkers who wear specific-colored cloaks and hoods, copper mail shirts, and carry silver daggers.  Their main task is to put down tantruming or berzerk dwarves, be it from trauma or from failed moods.  Most times they're also wearing a piece of bone armor in some regard.  I like to think of the assassin monks, the bonecarvers of old who disappeared years ago.  They're only seen now, though the individual is unknown, as they slide from the shadows to put down civilian revolts.

They'll wear whatever their uniform is all the time, if ordered to remain in uniform, and if they have a barracks they'll undertake personal drills that give low but non-negligible amounts of exp.  If you're smart, you can also set them into specific barracks so that they're less likely to talk to one another and not make friends, thus cutting down on tantrum chances.

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 03:34:48 pm »

If you're smart, you can also set them into specific barracks so that they're less likely to talk to one another and not make friends, thus cutting down on tantrum chances.

How does that work when setting the minimum number of dwarves in a squad for training (which is initially set at 10)? Supposedly, you have to change that number to less than the number of dwarves in the squad, right?

If you've got two dwarves in a squad, you can set the number to one, but I don't think it's possible to set that to zero. So how does that work when you've only got one dwarf in a squad?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 03:45:12 pm »

If you're smart, you can also set them into specific barracks so that they're less likely to talk to one another and not make friends, thus cutting down on tantrum chances.

How does that work when setting the minimum number of dwarves in a squad for training (which is initially set at 10)? Supposedly, you have to change that number to less than the number of dwarves in the squad, right?

If you've got two dwarves in a squad, you can set the number to one, but I don't think it's possible to set that to zero. So how does that work when you've only got one dwarf in a squad?

You'd have to make that squad inactive/move the dwarf into another squad. Otherwise that Dwarf would train alone constantly. Not recommended for anything short of a hero.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 03:46:38 pm »

You can set the number to train to 1, but its pointless as they would all do individual training and nothing else at that point.

In my experience, you can leave that number at 10 with minimal issues, if any, when you have a squad of 3 to 5 dwarves.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 03:58:00 pm »

Agreed, leave the number at 10 unless you have a specific reason to change it. :)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 03:59:22 pm »

Hmm. I've gotten so used to having rusting modded out that I don't actually remember.
Have you modded out attribute rust? I noticed that when I carried over my no-rust settings from .31 all the migrants I got had attributes that were exactly the racial average.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 04:50:59 pm »

You can set the number to train to 1, but its pointless as they would all do individual training and nothing else at that point.

In my experience, you can leave that number at 10 with minimal issues, if any, when you have a squad of 3 to 5 dwarves.

First, the reason I'm going to have only one dwarf in the squad is because my fortress is still very small. I've got ONE marksdwarf, and I wanted her to train at an archery target (which would be individual training anyway, right?).

Later, I'll probably add a melee dwarf or two, to begin with, so I'd put them in a separate squad from the marksdwarf, right? Eventually, I'll have a bigger military, and so bigger squads, but not right away.

Second, I thought that military dwarves wouldn't eat or drink or sleep unless I set that number lower than the maximum number of dwarves in the squad. Not so? Has that been fixed?

If so, what's the number for? If that's been fixed, what's the point of setting it to anything in particular? (For that matter, I never understood why that number existed in the first place.)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2012, 05:07:42 pm »

Usually my CoG break people's spines. He hates being relieved from duty.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 05:10:45 pm »

First, the reason I'm going to have only one dwarf in the squad is because my fortress is still very small. I've got ONE marksdwarf, and I wanted her to train at an archery target (which would be individual training anyway, right?).

Later, I'll probably add a melee dwarf or two, to begin with, so I'd put them in a separate squad from the marksdwarf, right? Eventually, I'll have a bigger military, and so bigger squads, but not right away.

Second, I thought that military dwarves wouldn't eat or drink or sleep unless I set that number lower than the maximum number of dwarves in the squad. Not so? Has that been fixed?

If so, what's the number for? If that's been fixed, what's the point of setting it to anything in particular? (For that matter, I never understood why that number existed in the first place.)

Do as you will, but it's well documented that squads of 2 train at a far superior rate to squads of 1. You'd be better served (in my opinion) making your archer-in-training a Hunter, or recruiting a friend for your archer so they can practice their dodging and wresting together in a no-uniform squad.

The number training thing is useful if you want to have a part-time military. For example if you have a 10-dwarf squad, but schedule 5 to to train, then the other 5 will carry out their civilian duties such as hauling or working in workshops (possibly getting a bad thought about being relieved from duty, if their civilian skills are too low).

Since I personally prefer a full-time military, I always leave it at the default 10. This means that all dwarfs in the squad will be training, individual combat drills, sleeping, eating, drinking--but they will never perform civilian duties (which I think is a good thing).

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 07:00:50 pm »

I set all my soldiers to Farming and Plant Gathering, and leave recruits inactive for a while so they get that skill trained up a bit before activation.  I like the idea that my dwarves outside gathering plants (in the sunlight) are the guys with weapons and armor in case something unexpected happens. :D

I do this for the humor value, of course (swords to plowshares, and all that).  :P
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 07:26:25 pm »

I prefer to assign all my future-military as pump operators.  They go to work on dry pumps (sometimes wet pumps that accommodate the fort's mist generators) and this helps build up their strength and endurance.  When they become suitably beefy, remove the labor and assign them a squad.  This also helps because all of your soldiers who are off-duty will by blinky red on the unit list, instead of scattered around with their usual skillsets.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 05:19:37 pm »

Agreed, leave the number at 10 unless you have a specific reason to change it. :)

...Like wanting to have a working active squad?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4