Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kitten-powered repeater  (Read 670 times)

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kitten-powered repeater
« on: February 13, 2012, 10:42:10 am »

I'm curious about this:

If you lock a kitten in a 2x1 closet with pressure plates on both tiles, will the kitten move around and step on these pressure plates, making an extremely simple, compact, and easy-to-build repeater?

The kitten room:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

About what speed would it go? Would a different animal be faster/slower at moving around? Do animals move around in confined spaces at all?

In my goblin pit, I have some goblins and badgers, both of which move around a lot. Maybe I could use them?
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Kitten-powered repeater
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 10:49:08 am »

Repeaters that use a creature will be random unless you find a way to drive them into a circuit. Goblins are good because they'll always want to flee through an open door, you just need the door linked to a pressure plate that closes it when they near it, also opening anotgher door which they will then path to. It then repeats, also note creatures have different speeds, even goblins will have very slightly different speeds, someone did some pretty complex tests of this while designing a dwarven computer, you should search the forum for that thread it's pretty interesting.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 11:12:07 am »

Can you give me some links to resources where I can learn more about repeaters? I've already read the wiki, and found it really insufficient.
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 12:45:09 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91979.msg2568668#msg2568668

erm, i think there's a simple goblin repeater there,
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 12:46:47 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.