Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pits, Wells, and Deep Channels  (Read 2523 times)

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pits, Wells, and Deep Channels
« on: December 10, 2007, 05:29:00 pm »

Hey guys!

I've finally had some time to start playing around in the new version, and I'm enjoying the heck out of it.  I haven't started messing with anything complex yet, all I've really done is dig straight down and started making a layered fort.  That actually brings me to my question - how do you dig pits, wells and such?

For example, lets use this side-view.  The flat bit is the ground, the X's are solid rock, and the tildes are water:

code:
XXXXXXXXXXX
~~~~~~~~~~~

What I want to do is something like this:

code:
_____._____
XXXXX XXXXX
XXXXX XXXXX
XXXXX XXXXX
XXXXX XXXXX
~~~~~~~~~~~

The period there is a grate, and the empty spaces are, well, an empty space.  From above, it would look like this (X=ground, #=grate):

code:
XXXXXXX
XXX#XXX
XXXXXXX

The only problem is that i can't think of a way to dig straight down like that.  A channel will work for one tile down, but what about this several-layer-deep pit?  I can't think of any way to do it that doesn't leave my miner drowning in the water below.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Krunk

Akael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pits, Wells, and Deep Channels
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 05:54:00 pm »

You have to dig a set of stairs down with it. I believe you can remove the stairs afterwards if you'd like, but there's no real way to dig a straight hole down without at least using 2 tiles, unless you want to lose a miner.

If you have a spare useless miner, you can somehow trap the miner in the single-tile channel he made and force him to dig himself out again and again until he hits the aquifer and drowns.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 08:22:00 pm »

You can use ramps to make a 1-tile side hole however far down you want. Your miner will even remove ramps above him automatically when digging the next ramp! Of course, this still leaves the miner stuck down the bottom of a hole and then drowning.

You can tunnel the miner out and then rewall the horizontal hole he left, leaving a pure vertical hole for the well.

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 03:09:00 am »

Can't you access water from above if there's anything a dwarf can traverse yet also fall down below it?
t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 03:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Skanky:
<STRONG>You can use ramps to make a 1-tile side hole however far down you want. Your miner will even remove ramps above him automatically when digging the next ramp! Of course, this still leaves the miner stuck down the bottom of a hole and then drowning.</STRONG>

When he's drowning remember to z-designate the ramp, we wouldn't want to leave a blinking corpse now would we?
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 12:20:00 pm »

I guess I was hoping that I could just keep building up/down stairs straight down, and then setting the lowest staircase as a site for a channel.  Basically disassembling the stairs as I climbed back up them.

Here's a question - during the winter, can you make staircases/ramps in the ice?

Dagonus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 12:24:00 pm »

Yes.

But be careful digging in the ice. If you break into something that's still "Water"(because its in a subterranean square(Which is bugged right not anyway)) Then the water will flow out of the sub square and into the above ground square resulting in a fairly instantaneous freezing. Because of how water is coded 2/7 water will turn into a 7/7 tall block of ice resulting in a very dead miner encased in the ice.

<P>The only difference between a bug and a feature is documentation.

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 01:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Skanky:
<STRONG>You can use ramps to make a 1-tile side hole however far down you want. Your miner will even remove ramps above him automatically when digging the next ramp! Of course, this still leaves the miner stuck down the bottom of a hole and then drowning.

You can tunnel the miner out and then rewall the horizontal hole he left, leaving a pure vertical hole for the well.</STRONG>

Thanks for this! My brook's currently frozen over, and I want to get a reservoir/fishing hole and some well-water set up before it thaws. I was wondering how I was going to channel out the places for the wells.