Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Egg Layers and Pastures  (Read 1183 times)

Rudefire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Egg Layers and Pastures
« on: February 12, 2012, 05:13:38 pm »

Will egg laying animals leave their pastures to seek out nest boxes? Or do I need to place my nest boxes inside the pastures?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egg Layers and Pastures
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 05:14:52 pm »

I haven't tried it, but I believe dwarves would drag them from the nest boxes and back into the pasture if the boxes were outside the designated pasture zone.  It works great in the zone, however.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Rudefire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 05:22:49 pm »

Ok, thank you!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 05:29:16 pm »

Oh, don't forget that when you get the baby-bird-spolsion you will need to designate them as residents of the relevant pasture, or they will all wander into your meeting area(s).
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 05:30:42 pm »

I forgot to forbid some eggs once, so didn't get any chicks. And years later all my birds died of old age within seconds of each other.

It was kind of funny, really.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 05:36:04 pm »

I forgot to forbid some eggs once, so didn't get any chicks. And years later all my birds died of old age within seconds of each other.

It was kind of funny, really.

I staggered generations of chicks hatching to avoid that.  Basically kept a hen or two as designated "chick generators" in a locked room that I'd only unlock to pasture out the newly hatched chicks.  And slaughtered enough birds to keep from hit the pop limit with a single generation of birds.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 06:29:13 am »

no. It's an atom smasher, not an ordinairy one. There is nothing left. Not even blood.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 07:35:31 am »

Yeah, birds won't leave pastures to go to a nest box. (Similar to a burrow, dwarf won't work a workshop not in their burrow.) I generally don't pasture my birds - they're not grazers - so they will eventually find the boxes.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 09:39:49 am »

Oh, don't forget that when you get the baby-bird-spolsion you will need to designate them as residents of the relevant pasture, or they will all wander into your meeting area(s).
This is one of my big complaints about the current implementation.  I hope Toady fixed this for the next release.

Yeah, birds won't leave pastures to go to a nest box. (Similar to a burrow, dwarf won't work a workshop not in their burrow.) I generally don't pasture my birds - they're not grazers - so they will eventually find the boxes.
+1.  Let the birds roam free.
I do use pastures for dogs, though, at the front gate.  Much better than using chains.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 09:51:28 am »

This is one of my big complaints about the current implementation.  I hope Toady fixed this for the next release.

put all young birds in a cage
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 08:53:32 pm »

+1.  Let the birds roam free.
I do use pastures for dogs, though, at the front gate.  Much better than using chains.
Every time I let animals that aren't cats run free they end up in my meeting hall, attacking people.  I tolerate the dogs until such time as they start attacking folks, then chain them up. I'm gonna borrow your dog pasture idea, however.  Sounds effective.