Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do? (Only vote for each separate category once.)

Dwarf
Human
Elf

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Miscellaneous invention guide for wonderful and mundane above ground fortresses!  (Read 17075 times)

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile

I cracked up at Step 3-6 in Invention 2. And again and Invention 3. And again with Elf Lover's post.

PRICKS I JUST SNORTED WATER ALL OVER MY LAPTOP.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

PRICKS I JUST SNORTED WATER ALL OVER MY LAPTOP.

Just as planned...

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile

Invention 4: Nabbed straight from the wiki

Step 1: Spill blood in a river
Step 2: Follow blood
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Result: Learn river flow direction

GENIUS! JUST GENIUS!
Basically every bit of !!SCIENCE!! on DF must be either on fire, covered in blood, submerged in magma or with so many injuries you can barely recognize the poor sod.

Or all the above.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile

If you have flow numbers shown, just look at where the river leaves the map.  The downstream map edge will be at about 4/7, because the water spills over and is then replaced. 

How does the new channeling double the work?  The way I see it, it's labor saving.  You don't need to remove the up ramps to channel further down, and it just stops your miners from stranding themselves on a channeled island, so you can designate large (single z level) areas without fear, so long as the layer below is intact, and removing up ramps when you're done doesn't take much dwarf time.  The only real difference is that you can't use a channeled trench as a barrier without some way to access the inside of the trench.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

How does the new channeling double the work?  The way I see it, it's labor saving.  You don't need to remove the up ramps to channel further down, and it just stops your miners from stranding themselves on a channeled island, so you can designate large (single z level) areas without fear, so long as the layer below is intact, and removing up ramps when you're done doesn't take much dwarf time.  The only real difference is that you can't use a channeled trench as a barrier without some way to access the inside of the trench.

Well if you don't remove the hanging ramps here and there, and you designate the next layer to be channelled, it causes lotsa cave ins. Instant dead legendary miners :P
Plus I think he was referring to the ramps on the map edge, that have to be removed before everything has to go through one of the main bridges, though not to sure.

GENIUS! JUST GENIUS!
Basically every bit of !!SCIENCE!! on DF must be either on fire, covered in blood, submerged in magma or with so many injuries you can barely recognize the poor sod.

Or all the above.

Now that's some scary science :P
I'll try to incorporate that into my new plan... Also, apparently my map is very shallow, only 50 z lvls deep. A bit disappointing, but it does mean that I'd be able to...

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

The problem with the new "channeling" is that it is actually old "dig upward ramps"; use the "dig upward ramps" designation on the z-level below a level where you would have "channeled" and you will get the same thing.

Whenever the channeling functionality would have been useful for creating recessed barriers, such as pits or moats that enemies could not immediately pass through, the work is, perhaps not necessarily doubled, but increased by the perimeter of the channeled area. Incidentally, it also causes dwarves to channel themselves into magma immediately below them if you want to channel out a hole into a shallow magma pool whose bottom is directly below the channeled surface.

In the end, it is certain that the current channeling functionality is superior for projects like the one in the OP. I am merely pointing out that the old channeling function worked differently and might have allowed for different applications than the current implementation of the "channeling" function.

Also, apparently my map is very shallow, only 50 z lvls deep. A bit disappointing, but it does mean that I'd be able to...

I look forward to seeing what marvels appear out of the sand  ;D
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

ARCHITECTURE INVENTIONS ARC!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Invention 5: Deoxyribonucleic floors!

Have you dug a really big hole in the ground?

Perhaps you've built random towers in a flat plain for no apparent reason!

Maybe you want rickety bridges hanging over vast chasms - Good for property values right?

BUT WAIT!

There's a problem - Making illogical paths across hanging chasms is apparently very inefficient when it comes to SRS BSNS.
And your poor workers have to crawl over each other! Slows down jobs very quickly if there's some serious pathing to do. But making the path wider makes for a bad defense, and decreases unfortunate accidents! This simply cannot do!

So, solution time!

Deoxyribonucleic walkways!

Step 1: Build floors orthogonally to the path (1 tile wide pathways are optimal, but this can be extended to more... Odd proportions.)
Step 2: Admire
JOB DONE.

Results:
  • Still decent defense.
  • Less resource consumption.
  • Perfect for dodge-me-traps in heavily pathed zones.
  • Set your soldiers to spar on these for !FUN!
  • Allows your stoic citizens to do a sidestep forwards instead of having to roll under anyone in their way. Hurrah!*

*Whelps of joy have been shown to encourage citizens to work productively!
*Or party all year.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Invention 6: Mother nature!

Step 1: Admire wildlife!
Step 2: CLAY KILN BURN, CLAY KILN BURN!

Job done.

Results:
  • Your citizens will take joy in the slaughter!
  • Food
  • Nothing like the smell of burning saguaro-rib wood trees in the morning!
  • Hilarious.
  • Hazardous.
  • Good for the environment.

Invention 7: BLOOD FOR THE STOCKPILE RECORDS! RAINING DOGS FOR THE STUDY THRONE!

Is your job manager unappreciated? Do your dutiful citizens think raining dogs is a literal term? Perhaps they need more incentive to bathe!

NEVER FEAR! INVENTIONS ARE HERE!

So what we're building, is the NEDM Blood Spire. Essentially, a self powered animal raining machine. Splendid!

Step 1: Build your base. (Avoid enemy attempts to kill ur d00dz).
Alternatively skip this process if it's going over a well traveled hallway/in your dining room. Or maybe you just want to chuck flying animals at citizens who are partying too hard. Meh.

Step 2: Recording with a show.
Set up the splash zone within an acceptable radius for your dutiful citizens to witness! It's not fun if no one notices!
Don't forget to begin building the scaffolding! (Can be as simple as up stairs).

Step 3: The Automated animal compactor
Begin building the roost whereupon you'll place your animals.
I built two on top of each other for extra splattering!

Step 4: Put your willing sacrifices (fancy latin right there ;P) UP IN DAH HOUSE.

*Note here, egg laying animals with nest boxes on every square available makes for a brilliant blood rain machine!

Step 5: Remove scaffolding!

Optional replace all supports with a support linked to a lever. That way you can cause a spectacular animalsplosion in the likely event of an unfortunate fortress ending accident.

Results:
  • When animals share the same tile for an extended period of time, they get agitated and fight.
  • When they breed, they get increasingly cramped and agitated.
  • Eventually they dodge.
  • And this happens.
  • Can allow you to spell out letters in blood.
  • Can force your citizens to take baths - which lowers the chance of them dying from infection, and making them smell very nice.
  • Entertaining.
  • Can be modified to represent Schrodinger's cat.
  • Makes the best lighthouse.
  • Hang it over your entrance, trading depot or both.
  • Great for parties, weddings, birthdays - even funerals!
  • Kills abominations of nature.
  • MANY MOAR.

Love it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 08:11:58 pm by Loud Whispers »

Joey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This... It's perfect.
Hope you don't mind me stealing a few of these ideas for my next fortress.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

This... It's perfect.
Hope you don't mind me stealing a few of these ideas for my next fortress.

They're up here to be used ;)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

There is a small problem if you use tame animals though - they can't be processed into meat if they did not die from butchers.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Step 2: BURN CLAY KILN!

Heyyy, that's not how I spelt it.

Also I [MANDATE] you make a magma waterfall trap in the front(?) of your base to kill goblins(?).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Step 2: BURN CLAY KILN!

Heyyy, that's not how I spelt it.

Might seem a bit odd, but do you have the original quote? :P

Also I [MANDATE] you make a magma waterfall trap in the front(?) of your base to kill goblins(?).

1. I don't have magma :d
2. I currently don't have a front entrance... So far pretty much everything is an entrance :P
3. Nothing to pump magma with :(
4. Goblins appear to have left me alone for the year or so. Plus several legendary miners, swordsmen and hammermen have their more direct benefits :P

Still, I'll see what I can do.

There is a small problem if you use tame animals though - they can't be processed into meat if they did not die from butchers.

Really? Haven't noticed this as a problem. That said, can't find where they've put the corpses.

This worries me.

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That said, can't find where they've put the corpses.

This worries me.
Can't find the corpses? Blame the bookkeeper!

They're in his +Gabbro Cabinet+
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 01:45:40 am by njero »
these aren't buzzards, they're cliff racers!

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Urist McBookeeper was just an ordinary middle class office worker... at least that's what they thought.

BUT THEY WERE WRONG

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

That said, can't find where they've put the corpses.

This worries me.
Can't find the corpses? Blame the bookkeeper!

They're in his +Gabbro Cabinet+

That just raises more questions o_O

Urist McBookeeper was just an ordinary middle class office worker... at least that's what they thought.

BUT THEY WERE WRONG

Anyone who can keep records of several hundred thousand socks and their whereabouts AND co-ordinate the industries of the fort at the same time is super-dwarven in my books ;)

In the mean time - POLL UP
Pages: 1 [2] 3