Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Danger Room Discussion  (Read 2962 times)

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Danger Room Discussion
« on: February 12, 2012, 05:08:10 am »

Figured I'd talk about the things I've seen from a Danger Room (TM).

I'm currently using a 1x2 room with an armor stand and a 10-training spear trap attached to a lever just outside.

Anyways, I'll discuss what I've seen from the training aspect.

First off, with or without a shield, armor use seems to be the slowest skill to train, while fighter skill is the fastest to train. 

Shield use trains faster than a Weapon skill when wielding a shield (fighting skill covers the use of a shield bash it seems, thus fighting skill also goes up at roughly the same rate if your using a shield).  Weapon skill goes up relatively fast without a shield, but nowhere near as fast as fighting (its that fast). 

Dodging is pretty slow to train, but slightly faster than armor use.  It should be noted that unskilled weapon users wielding only a weapon train dodging and armor use faster than someone who is skilled at wielding a only a weapon.  Shield use seems to slow down dodging and armor use due to the amount of times you block the attacks with a shield. 

Striking, Kicking, and Wrestling never increase from a Danger Room (TM).  Same with military-social skills (observation, leadership, etc..)

Attributes-wise, Kinstetic (sp) sense and spatial sense go up at a good rate, while agility trumps strength (they both increase, just agility is more noticable than strength).  (Note these were using dwarfs who had at a minimum no negative attributes)

If a dwarf has a green attribute, that attribute will train slightly faster than someone with an average rating.

Injuries aside, I've only seen a bruised foot in over 8+ years (spanning two forts) of employing a Danger Room (TM), aside from the stupidity of legendary female soldiers bringing their babies into one :/

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Danger Room Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 05:14:21 am »

I make larger danger rooms, with traps holding only a single spear. I'd make a 3x3 room with 1 spear each instead of your set-up. This way, the soldiers can actually spar and training takes slightly longer.

At least I suppose that's the right way to go about it, if slightly less cheaty-face.

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 08:08:48 am »

Has any discovered whether having more spears per tile increases the rate at which they gain skills? Does it just cause more baby/pet carnage and bruised feet?
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 08:17:16 am »

Has any discovered whether having more spears per tile increases the rate at which they gain skills? Does it just cause more baby/pet carnage and bruised feet?

I imagine does enhance the rate of skill development (and it's deletrious effects on baby/pet populations) porportional to the number of spears in the trap. If you look at the combat messages, each spear in a trap counts as one attack. So if you have 10 per trap, they dodge/block/parry/are maimed 10 seperate times every time the trap is triggered.

Although it probably doesn't matter too much, since danger rooms are game-breakingly effective at quickly leveling soldiers reguardless if you use 1 per trap or 10. I perfer to make larger rooms and not consume vast amounts of wood in the process, so I just use 1 spear per trap.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 08:18:20 am »

More spears increase training rate, and 10 is an overkill. My soldiers were collapsing from exhaustion with 10 spears. I'd use 2-4 spears next time, but 3 dwarf squads work without danger rooms.  I did a 3x3 room with 10 spears (90 total). It helped cull my war animal population, among other things.

To train dodger and armor user, give recruits full protection, but no shield or weapon. After they are legendary or legendary +5, or whatever You feel comfortable with, give them shields and weapons as well.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 08:18:50 am »

Don't like em. That said, I have noticed danger rooms are actually very effective at training sieging goblins.

My soldiers were collapsing from exhaustion with 10 spears.

You need a way to get them off very quickly.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 08:29:03 am »

Oops double post
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 08:32:23 am by Loud Whispers »

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 09:43:47 am »

Equip military with weapons, armor and shields.
When they hit legendary with shields, remove them.
When they hit legendary with weapons, remove those too. Suddenly they're only training dodging and armor use, without the blocking and parrying that would come with extreme skills in that area.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 10:04:12 am »

Has any discovered whether having more spears per tile increases the rate at which they gain skills?
Far as I can tell, it's like giving them pure steroids. When I use 10 spears on a little one tile raised area, it takes about 20 seconds (100~ FPS) for them to reach the max. I've had different results though, I suppose it depends on how good they were in skills to begin with.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 01:18:40 pm »

Incidentally, if you really want to use maximally fast danger rooms for whatever reason, there is a more efficient method than using a 2x1 system:

Code: [Select]
-----
DSdA|
-----

D is an external, unlocked, pet impassible door
S is a spear trap with 10 wooden training spears (note to self: do NOT mix up wooden training spear and steel combat spear stockpiles. It is not good. As an aside, how long can a baby live with a broken skull? This one has been going for a good year now, crawling slowly towards my hospital.) linked to some form of repeater.
d is a forbidden, internal door
A is an armour stand/weapon rack

This way, the dwarves will always train on the spears, never on the armour stand, so you get them on it 100% of the time.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 05:36:50 pm »

Whats the armorstand for?

I just fit as many dorfs in my d rooms as I can get them and put the lever on repeat.

They have never tantrumd.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 05:48:41 pm »

I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 06:11:57 pm »

My only mildly successful attempts at pulling together a military have involved a combination of real-life training (such as on disarmed captives) and danger rooms. Without them, and with only regular training, my military was never sufficient.. In fact, recently, my whole military was annihilated in a goblin siege because I thought a year of regular training would have them at least USABLE.  :(

Have any of you had success with other training methods? It seems like REAL fighting/traps is the only way to get decent warriors in a reasonably quick fashion, though regular training will keep their skills from rusting.
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 06:14:50 pm »

I just started another thread on "standard" training to not clutter up this thread with non-Danger Room discussion. ;)

Short answer: yes, I've had very good luck with "normal" military training.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 06:15:06 pm »

I've regular trained a squad of legendary +5 axedwarves, and another of swordsdwarves from no skill. Granted, this took 10 years, but one can picture a lone dwarf, training 10 years straight, eventually becoming a living legend.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games
Pages: [1] 2