Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: am I doing something wrong?  (Read 1030 times)

Griffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
am I doing something wrong?
« on: February 12, 2012, 02:29:14 am »

I've played DF off and on for a year or two now, and just recently got back into it. I downloaded the lazy newb pack,and been playing for a week. I had my first fortress and it was going great, but then suddenly, every time I would attempt to load my save game DF would crash. Windows would pop up the "Dwarf Fortress has stopped working. Windows is searching for a solution." That's it.

I figured it was just an unlucky bug and I could still create a world so i did and started over. Second fortress has begun and is going wonderfully. But then the same thing happened to this one! And for the second one I turned off file compression, and turned on the seasonal save+backup saves. Each file causes DF to crash when I try to load it. Can anyone tell me if I am forgetting something important? My files are all still in the data folder and I'm playing it on Windows 7; however, after the first bug I changed it to Windows XP service pack 3 compatibility.

I uploaded the most recent save here http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5469 Any help would amazing.

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
Re: am I doing something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 02:51:57 am »

Possible corruption when saving, try re-installing it and see if it works. If not, come back here and see the other suggestions. About all i can say.
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 02:53:40 am »

how are you exiting the game ? its the ongly thing i can thing of is that you arent exiting properly and therefore your save gets corrupted i used to do that before i figured out saving the fortress is actualy the exit button. otherwise i have no idea :(

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 04:33:42 am »

There are a couple of crash bugs.

This is the best description of one, and a way to handle it, that I've read, and yours sounds at least nominally similar - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=98077.msg2856486#msg2856486

In the development log shortly after that tale was posted, Toady commented that he'd fixed a crash bug related to forgotten beasts, one that he was sure had scuttled countless fortresses.

I've had a map that I had really enjoyed, until it started to crash on a specific day in play.  I tried 8 times to get past that day before I gave up.

The only comfort I can offer you  - crash bugs like this really do seem to be rare for most players.  I've only had one map affected by it to date.  When bugs like this are mentioned, I've seen several players seem skeptical - that's perfect.  That means they've never had such a crash-bug, so it's even more rare!  Condolences on having gotten it twice in two games, may you never see it again.

edited to add:

That said, I was curious and downloaded your save - when is it crashing?  Right when you load it?

For me it will open and run.  I revealed and found one forgotten beast, watched it meander at a fairly good speed, it didn't seem to be doing anything but walking and the game did not crash for me - though I only let it run about a month.

Considering this, I recommend you try a new installation of DF (with or without those mods, once the save is created it carries its raws, and graphics (if changed) are the only things that wont move as a unit).  Just drop a copy of the save in that and see if you still have troubles?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 04:58:25 am by Imp »
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Griffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 01:57:39 pm »

thanks for the help, I redownloaded DF and I can now run my game. However, i did realize that the save file I uploaded was not the last save I did. Something must happen when I save the game because I saved it a few months after the time that save file takes place. *shrug* At least I can play it now. Thanks again for help.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 02:01:10 pm »

Sometimes my game gets huge lag on "thaw day" in the spring, if there's a lot of flowing surface water to suddenly start calculating. I've heard of people's machines crashing at that time. But I have to wonder, sometimes, if they were really crashing, or if the game suddenly stopped and showed up as "Not Responding" in the task manager, so they assumed a crash. But if they had waited 5 minutes or so maybe it would have started up again.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 02:03:03 pm »

Sometimes my game gets huge lag on "thaw day" in the spring, if there's a lot of flowing surface water to suddenly start calculating. I've heard of people's machines crashing at that time. But I have to wonder, sometimes, if they were really crashing, or if the game suddenly stopped and showed up as "Not Responding" in the task manager, so they assumed a crash. But if they had waited 5 minutes or so maybe it would have started up again.

This, oh so much.

Griffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 10:20:54 pm »

Nercoing this thread because I still am having the same error, however now redownloading DF does not fix it. It seems whenever a fortress of mine gets a year or so old, the game will crash any time I try to load the saved file. This seems to be a client-side problem because in the past my save files have worked fine on other pcs, but not mine. Anyone have any help for me? This is extremely frustrating.

Griffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 10:54:17 pm »

Slight update: DF does not crash when I load my initial save or my autosave from summer. But the autosaved autumn and the manual most-current save cause my DF to crash before even fully loading. The exact place it crashes is shortly after I have hit "Enter" on one of my saved game on the "Continue Playing" screen. One time DF switched to a "Loading the game" screen, but then crashed as normal.