Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A random query...  (Read 2623 times)

chris_strain

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
A random query...
« on: February 12, 2012, 12:17:14 am »

First the question: What's something you've done/created/invented (that can be done in vanilla raws) to make your fort run smoother that you think others might benefit from? Mine is a bit of a tale.

Ok so I'm sitting at work bored and poking around an older fort on my laptop and I've come across something I'd forgotten all about, which prompted this. I had a a fort in it's early stages of mid-life. Almost no trees, a tiny patch of soil on a single z level and no coal. This was one of my forts where I was testing a few new types of glass I was tinkering with making. My main fort and forges had been relocated 90 zlvls to the magma sea, leaving my tiny patches of sand and clay a long walk from the glass furnaces.

I decided to try relocating said sand and clay and.. damn if it didn't work. I dug out a 3x3 room under the sand tile and then channeled straight down to an empty tile very near my forges. after walling off the landing zone, I carefully channeled our around the single sand tile and it caused the expected cave-in, depositing the red sand tile 89 zlvls below in my forge area..nice and clean and still a valid sand collection zone.

I had read various thread about dropping plugs to bypass aquifers before but I didn't really think about being able to use a cave-in to move sand/clay all the way down to my magma forges. It seems like a common sense thing to try now that I've done it but before...

What little tricks have you come up with?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: A random query...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 08:40:20 am »

Removing teh eyeballs.

REMOVE TEHM ALL

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 10:06:14 am »

Removing teh eyeballs.

REMOVE TEHM ALL

I've found an easier way. Remove teh dwarfs.

REMOVE TEHM ALL

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 11:46:55 am »

something similar to make a deep underground farming spot that also supplied clay.

Facepalm at not realizing it could take the dwarf that channeled the last bit with it. Not sure if they found all the bits, ever, but I could now truly move the fort to the deeps. Only the trade depot, some stockpiles for the more common trade goods and a load of traps remained at the top. It was a pretty shallow map though, so little digging was required.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 12:58:27 pm »

I build a large tower with a hole in the center that triples as an execution pit, a suicide drop for melancholy dwarves, and a desensitizing area for my dwarves (because it ends in a glass box in the middle of my dining area.) It's really cool and really efficient.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 02:51:43 pm »

Not my invention but:

Make a food stockpile for each type of plant that you grow. Disable storing that plant on other stockpiles. Set all your farms to grow as much as you want of the plants. If you grow too much to fit on the stockpile, the remainder will wither (without producing miasma) in the fields rather than clog the stockpiles and barrels. It is almost impossible to run out of seeds - if you do, then just process some of the plant.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 03:25:26 pm »

I keep thinking there should be a way to use the burrow/trafficflow system to make forts super-efficient. But I keep not experimenting with it.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 05:28:14 pm »

I keep thinking there should be a way to use the burrow/trafficflow system to make forts super-efficient. But I keep not experimenting with it.
Not sure how much it helps, if at all, but I have been using three wide halls with the center tile set as "High Traffic" for a while now, and it seems to work pretty well at reducing congestion.  Dwarves step closer to the walls when they have to pass someone, but generally stay in the middle, even in high traffic zones, since the faster dwarves react first, and move out of the way of the slower ones.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

chris_strain

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 09:33:52 pm »

Not my invention but:

Make a food stockpile for each type of plant that you grow. Disable storing that plant on other stockpiles. Set all your farms to grow as much as you want of the plants. If you grow too much to fit on the stockpile, the remainder will wither (without producing miasma) in the fields rather than clog the stockpiles and barrels. It is almost impossible to run out of seeds - if you do, then just process some of the plant.

I've been doing this for a while too. Disallowing barrels on said stockpiles helps solve the whole 'damn cook isn't using my syrup!!!' issue.

I build a large tower with a hole in the center that triples as an execution pit, a suicide drop for melancholy dwarves, and a desensitizing area for my dwarves (because it ends in a glass box in the middle of my dining area.) It's really cool and really efficient.

I do something similar. My dodge-me trap entrance drops around 5 lvls to a pit lined on one side with clear glass windows and the dining room on the other side. Diners get to enjoy people landing and getting injured in various interesting way, followed by the military reminding them how 'undesirables' are dealt with. Take the hint mr/ms future failed mood berserk dwarf.