Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interruptive antman  (Read 2490 times)

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Interruptive antman
« on: December 10, 2007, 12:34:00 pm »

I keep getting announcements that a dwarf canceled a job because he was interrupted by an antman. When I zoom to them, I see that they're outside the fortress, but I see no antmen in the area, and they keep getting interrupted. Is it possible to zoom to the antman that's causing the problems, or dispatch a soldier to deal with it specifically?

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interruptive antman
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 12:43:00 pm »

Press U and then scroll down the list until you get to antmen, i think the Antmen May be underground though.
Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 01:15:00 pm »

I located a couple of antmen right above me, I don't think I have a way to reach them, so I'll have to dig a passage and reach them. Now I have to find a suitable place to dig far enough from the antmen so the miners won't abandon the dig halfway through.
Man, this is nasty. The antmen are on some sort of platform that's only accessible from the chasm. I found a suitable place to dig, and hopefully the exit will be far enough from the antmen to enable the digger to finish his work. I lost one good guy to thirst because he was too scared to move in front of the antmen and get some booze.

I thought the two pages of kobolds or the stronger chasm monsters would be my worst fears in this map, but if this goes on, my fortress will be done in by the super-scary antmen overlooking the front yard.

[ December 10, 2007: Message edited by: AlienChickenPie ]

[ December 10, 2007: Message edited by: AlienChickenPie ]

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 03:35:00 pm »

simple solution, draft your woodcutter and make him go zerker with his axe
Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 04:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Bullion:
<STRONG>simple solution, draft your woodcutter and make him go zerker with his axe</STRONG>

That's what I did, basically. It involved mining a path to the area (because it wasn't normally accessible) and sending a squad. The squad, "Girders of Loving" (Huh!), was lead by the fresh immigrant who dealt the last blows on a legendary kobold who tried to shoot him to death at the edge of the map, and composed of his fellow survivors. They went up, covered the place in ichor, and then one of them tripped a hidden giant cave spider web. I lost nine dwarves and numerous steel weapons in the carnage before I managed to seal off the two paths I mined to the area. Hilariously enough, nine new immigrants arrived a few game-minutes later.
The carnage wasn't really that bad. The bad thing was the fun I missed. I dug a channel from the volcano to a canyon full of kobols, and when I checked the lava's progress, I saw a burning forest, a few roasted kobolds and lots of steam. I wasn't there to see it happen!

Motive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 06:48:00 am »

I had the same problem with antmen in my chasm. Any dwarf that got near the chasm was frozen with fear because there were antmen like 4-5 z lvls down. Luckily archers can shoot down the chasm so i just let it rain.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 01:26:00 pm »

I've got this problem but it's 100 times worse. half my fortress is stuck on various levels of a chasm frozen in place. I've got wounded in there too.
is there a chance of some sort of fix for this? there doesn't seem to be any mention of this in the bugs forum.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 02:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by se5a:
<STRONG>I've got this problem but it's 100 times worse. half my fortress is stuck on various levels of a chasm frozen in place. I've got wounded in there too.
is there a chance of some sort of fix for this? there doesn't seem to be any mention of this in the bugs forum.</STRONG>

Drafting the stuck dwarves and stationing them in a place far away from the chasm should help. Once you got all your dwarves away from the scary, scary antmen rebuild the fortress and transfer your stocks to the new fortress little by little.