Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dogs, dorf's best friend.  (Read 3312 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dogs, dorf's best friend.
« on: February 11, 2012, 08:00:21 pm »

With my previous fort I embarked with a set of Alpacas, they don't take up too much grazing space, provide plenty of meat, bones, and wool. The only problem is the micromanagement involved in pasturing all the new ones you get every year through breeding.

My new for has changed that. Dogs, nothing but dogs. Leather, bone, meat, and defense. All without the silly grazing. My dog population is hovering around 100, it's kept there by butchering and combat deaths. With a dorf population matching that I can give every dorf a dog to protect them. That worked really well, but is a bit redundant.

My new set up is to have 2 dogs at the entrance to the fort, and then the rest are assigned to each of my military dorfs (10 melee/10 ranged). That means 5 war dogs per dorf, it pwns hard.

The crossbow dorfs are free to keep clear and take their shots while the dogs attack their target, and the melee dorfs have the dogs to weaken and grapple the target for easy strikes.

My next fort will probably follow the same path, but I'll try a dog eugenics program to get the best dogs.

So, how has the rest of the forum faired using dogs (or eugenics programs)?
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs, dorf's best friend.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 08:14:44 pm »

I had a fort over-running with dogs and ultimately ended up sticking every last one into a cage near the entrance of the fort, connected to a lever. For FPS purposes, mostly, but when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.

I also like assigning dogs to dorfs that might potentially have a failed mood. So if they go bat-shit before I can scrounge up a turtle shell or silk or whatever, the dogs tear the guy's throat out the moment he snaps and everybody else is safe.

I don't like attaching dogs to soldiers, soldiers move fast and the dogs always lag too far behind to ever be of much use, the fighting is usually over by the time the dogs catch up.

I do sometimes attach dogs to civilians that work outdoors. The logger or whoever can escape while the dogs maul the goblins or bonabos or hoary marmots and whatever other offensive things lurk topside.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 10:55:18 pm »

Sigged.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I too like dogs for there conveniance and there swarms.

Ive never messed with eugenics.

EDIT: I like that rich guy from simpsons hes cool.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 02:08:15 am »

Sigged.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I too like dogs for there conveniance and there swarms.

Ive never messed with eugenics.

EDIT: I like that rich guy from simpsons hes cool.

Oh, Mr. Burn?
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 02:33:33 am »

I'd rather the exact same thing, but with grizzly bears instead of dogs. However, i've never been fortunate enough to get them from the elves (yet), so can anyone tell me, how large is the average litter size for them?
Magma is overrated.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 05:12:24 am »

On my other fort on my downed computer, I seem to have alot of Large Jaguars and Large Tigers running around, so with Montague's idea in mind, I'll capture/train them, throw them in a cage, then when the next goblinite siege comes "RELEASE THE GIANT TIGER/JAGUARS" :)

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 05:14:19 am »

Oh, Mr. Burn?

Charles Montgomery Burns, to be more precise.  Now who is that loaf in sector 17?  Why have I hired him?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 05:31:51 am »

:-\

When you do assign many dogs (pets) to a military dwarf and get a siege, I wish you well for their morale.

As when you attach an animal to a dwarf, you give them a pet. If the pet dies, it affects happiness greatly, multiplied by how many pets the dwarf has-... This is offset by the happiness a dwarf gets when in contact with a pet, though a dwarf still gets saddened by death-by-age/accident.

Main reason I don't use any dogs, FPS safety and full dependence on the militia.

Squidpalace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 05:39:30 am »

Charles Montgomery Burns, to be more precise.  Now who is that loaf in sector 17?  Why have I hired him?

Lol. It's sector 7 G, to be more precise.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 05:56:52 am »

Any trainable animal goes in a pasture near my gate in order to meatshiled detect any enemies, and stall them until real troops arrive. Giant animals or animals that are "large" (e.g. Gorillas) go there as well, even if they arent trainable. Ones that cant be tamed get pitted under the dodgeme bridge - I have a dozen Yetis that enjoy having the odd goblin drop in, though they are often reluctant to fight. Wingfences (which will be my last fort until the new version) has many many dogs, giant Eagles and giant Capybara chilling by the way in, and they often rip invading elves to bits before my troops arrive. It is a joy to see a kobold thief chased across the map by a chian of animal related evil. I keep the biggest and fattest underground in my breeding factories. This way you dont have to worry about the negative thought of an animal being kiilled tipping your steel axe carrying soldier over the edge into a bezerk rage.
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 08:27:54 am »

With a dorf population matching that I can give every dorf a dog to protect them. That worked really well, but is a bit redundant.

So, how has the rest of the forum faired using dogs (or eugenics programs)?

1. Prepare for tamper tantrums.
2. I tried a Eugenics fort for Dwarves.

Things learnt:
  • Dwarf mental stats are batman random.
  • Physical stats are passed on to the next generation, albeit rounded down to average. This goes for good and bad stats.
  • Eye colour and skin colour are passed down.
  • Body size seems unaffected.
  • In the end, you end up with completely average dorfs. Most of their physical stats come from their training/labour.

There was also some clever fellow who did this with polar bears. More successful. By butchering skinny, small and weak animals you can end up with gigantic polar baers with untold layers of muscle and fat.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 09:47:21 am »

Dogs are also a good method of safe (read: boring) method of cavern exploration. Pit a couple of females into caverns, floor over pit, and wait. Eventually hte dogs and puppies will start wandering about and discovering more of the map for you.

One of my doggy spelunking squads actually took down a giant bat (plus some giant olms and what-have-you).
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 10:03:19 am »

A few (untrained) dogs also have little trouble running down and eating sneaksy kobolds.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.