Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: An entire fortress made of stone! (With a question.)  (Read 3572 times)

Nullnostalgia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An entire fortress made of stone! (With a question.)
« on: February 11, 2012, 06:15:48 pm »

Big deal, right? IT's underground, just mine and smo-

Wait, what? I'm building it above ground? What. Madness. I'm building an entire city out of granite blocks, since I embarked on a tropical moist broadleaf forest that existed above an old, ancient, metamorphic layer(I did some fancypants >reveal with DFhack to make sure there was flux, and there's a layer or two of marble waaay down.)

The city, currently, is a walled 62x78x2 city as of the moment. I intend to line the orthoclase streets with statues of marble depicting the downfall of elves, to make up for the lack of engravings. I also want to set up an indoor plumbing system with a well in every 'house.

The houses are 3x3 for a single dwarf, and I have them in three rows of six heading up to four Z-levels. I'm going to try and put in a well in each house to represent a 'sink.'

So, here's a question I have as well. Can a well go through a well, to get water?
Also, thoughts.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: An entire fortress made of stone! (With a question.)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 06:20:06 pm »

It is possible to build wells directly above one another, and they will still function if there is water below, they will not obstruct one another, as they are not impassible structures.

Wiki.

Good luck with it!

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 06:20:40 pm »

I want you to layer your houses upon each-other like apartments, then make a hugeass drawbridge, and then we need screenshots!  Also extra points if you make your wall 3 urists thick so archers can patrol with ease.
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 06:23:50 pm »

Once you have a base city made, floor it over. The "inside" portion is now the "undercity" and you will not renovate it further. You may build more houses however. Now build a city on top of the undercity for the higher ranking peoples. This abovecity will only have fanciful things, no machines or pumps, that is for lessers.

Nullnostalgia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 06:26:17 pm »

I want you to layer your houses upon each-other like apartments, then make a hugeass drawbridge, and then we need screenshots!  Also extra points if you make your wall 3 urists thick so archers can patrol with ease.

Houses are stacked in rows of six, with three rows of houses. This makes for 18 houses per Z-level, which then goes up 4 Z-levels. Leaving us with, 72 houses. I might go up to 6 Z-levels, or just make another housing district.

The walls are three Urists thick, indeed. With an outer wall, a 1 tile wide wall, and an interior wall. There's also towers that hang out of the wall starting at the second Z-level and gatehouses. I put the towers up a Z-level, so when fortifications are carved, they won't have filthy goblin crossbowmen walking up and sticking their nasty little crossbows in.

Edit- Above city, and Undercity? MAYBE. Maybe. But at the moment, I'm going for a traditional castle-town.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 06:32:46 pm »

Once you have a base city made, floor it over. The "inside" portion is now the "undercity" and you will not renovate it further. You may build more houses however. Now build a city on top of the undercity for the higher ranking peoples. This abovecity will only have fanciful things, no machines or pumps, that is for lessers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Please do this!
My Steam Account

Nullnostalgia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 06:36:50 pm »

That'll be -hundreds- of more stone blocks! And more mining! And another year of production!

...You guys are the worst nobles ;-;.

Nullnostalgia cancels Construct Castle; interrupted by Hammerer.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 06:39:27 pm »

Atleast we mandate things you can do.  Eventually.
My Steam Account

Nullnostalgia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 06:54:41 pm »

Also, if I do this undercity thing and make it all creepy, dank, and wet and filled with angry subterrean monstahs...

...Anyone want the raws for like, adventure mode or some such?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 07:13:09 pm »

Be sure to build a sewer system - in every house. Have every house have a privy that serves as the dump. And a big old waste processing factory that generates steam and has a whole bunch of un-needed mechanisms. Like a Rube Goldberg device to filter the water.

In the castle, build the walls like this:

X_X

Then fill them with magma. Heated castle!

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 07:22:34 pm »

I would love to have that place to adventure mode in.  Just the undercity/overcity alone sounds like an awesome goal.
My Steam Account

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 08:50:02 pm »

It would be cooler if the undercity was under ground, so then it'd pretty much be dwarves running around in the sewers
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Nullnostalgia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 08:54:26 pm »

It would be cooler if the undercity was under ground, so then it'd pretty much be dwarves running around in the sewers

There's a sewer system that works as a storage space/sewer/water delivery system/tomb chamber.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 08:58:40 pm »

Be sure to build a sewer system - in every house. Have every house have a privy that serves as the dump. And a big old waste processing factory that generates steam and has a whole bunch of un-needed mechanisms. Like a Rube Goldberg device to filter the water.

Even better, pressurize the sewer for the lower level dwarfs.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 09:58:06 pm »

I'd rather go with huge apartment buildings with penthouses on the top where the upper class lives. Then each building houses just enough lower class civilians and facilities to feed the noble living there to full luxury and be self sufficient.

Bonus points if activating the pump stack for the nobles personal jacuzzi causes a random dwarve's apartment to be flooded and his family drowned in their sleep.

Bonus points if that dwarf pulled the lever.
Pages: [1] 2