Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upcoming Fighting Games/General - BBCS:EX, SFxT, and Skullgirls on the horizon!  (Read 760 times)

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile

Our fighting game community here seems small, so it seems best to just mash us all into one topic rather than have a separate topic for each game. I think we're small enough that this might dual purpose as a general topic, but I'm mostly going to use this opening post for upcoming new games, because for some reason, there's a butt-ton coming out.

I'm pretty pumped for Skullgirls, so I'm going to write about it first.

Skullgirls is a 2D fighter produced by indie studio Reverge Labs. Mike Zaimont, a tourney player, is in charge of the general direction of the fighting itself, but while the game is mostly built with high-level play in mind, a good deal of the design choices aim for a good amount of accessibility and fun for casual and new players as well. There's also a lack of emphasis on tight execution, and more focus on other aspects of the game. Generally, it seems like most control decisions were made to be more intuitive, and made to be less of a possible interference in what the player is trying to do.

Features:
  • Cast of 8 characters at release, more slated to be released later as DLC.
  • Infinites detection. After a few loop repetitions, the character caught in it only needs to push a button to break out of it.
  • Tag-team style play, with custom team size. You can choose the size of your team, so you can go for 1v1 or 2v3 if you want.
  • Custom assists. There are some exceptions, like jumping attacks and supers, but you can pretty much use any move you want as a tag-in assist. It could be something as simple as a light punch, or it could be a command grab.
  • GGPO netcode. The popular PC netcode used in online fighting game emulation. Apparently, the game will also show latency in numerical terms of milliseconds rather than little connection bars, which is nice.
  • No true high/low unblockables. If you hit someone with an overhead and a low at the same time, they'll block both hits.
  • Ridiculously good hand-drawn frames. Apparently even beats out 3rd Strike in frame count.
Release Information:
  • Price tag set to be around $15-$20.
  • At initial release, will only be available via digital download on the PS3 and XB360 online stores.
  • Slated for a Q1 release.
Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62My40TMppw

Street Fighter X Tekken is a 2.5D crossover fighting game featuring characters from both of the games mentioned. The game aims to pull in fans of both series, but also to pull in players (especially Tekken players) new to the 2D style of Street Fighter games. Customization is the main vision of the producer, Yoshinori Ono, who introduces a gem system into the game to encourage diverse playstyles and unique builds. I don't have a whole lot of detail, but from what I've seen and heard, it's comparable to the rune system from League of Legends.

Features:
  • 43 characters revealed so far.
  • The mentioned gem system. Gems can boost stats, but only when certain conditions are met in a fight. For example, a gem that had something like a 10% defense boost for 3 seconds would only activate if you blocked x amount of moves in a row.
  • Tag-team style play, with teams of 2v2. You only need to KO one of the opponent's characters to win the round. The tag teaming is meant to feel very fluid, and you'll be able to switch characters during normal combos.
  • Pandora mode. A comeback system in which you sacrifice one of your characters in order to have infinite super gauge and power. However, a timer counts down for Pandora mode, and if it ends, you automatically lose.
Release Information:
  • For PS3, Vita, XB360, Windows.
  • Standard price tag for $60 in the US.
  • Slated for March 6th release in the US, and 9th for EU.
Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aknphNc6BjI

I will elaborate more as time go on, maybe. I might talk more about the Skullgirls characters.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 05:34:26 pm by Patchouli »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The second one, SFxT, sounds INCREDIBLE. Though I think you forgot to include BBCS:EX even though it's in the title.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile

I wasn't really sure what to say. It's not really new, since it's Blazblue, just fixed up some more and with a few new chars. I might write something later though.