Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dropping sand?  (Read 2052 times)

elipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dropping sand?
« on: December 10, 2007, 11:29:00 am »

Is it possible to 'drop' the ground layer of sand down a level? causing a collapse? and enabling sand harvesting underground?

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dropping sand?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 09:05:00 pm »

I'm not going to search the forum for it, but I do recall someone saying that they had done that in their map (possibly with picture) to put sand next to the magma furnaces, so I'm going to go with "yes." I imagine something like this:

code:

>, X, < = Stairs
█ = Wall
_ = Mined stone; floor remains.
~ = sand floor

Side view:

>~~~~~~~~
X_______█
X_______█
X_______█
<_______█
█████████

Channel at the ↓'s:

↓     ↓
>~~~~~~~~
X_______█
X_______█
X_______█
<_______█
█████████

Watch top floor fall:

>   ↓   ~
X_  ↓  _█
X_  ↓  _█
X_  ↓  _█
<_~~~~~_█
█████████

Note that I haven't actually done this, but it seems sound in principle.

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 09:14:00 pm »

Yep, that's exactly how it works.  Just like any other cave in.

Mind you, unless you put a roof over the area again, it will be considered outside instead of underground.

But, from what I hear of one of the latest bugs, I'm not sure if it will actually turn into a "subterranean" area again with a floor above it...

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 09:36:00 pm »

I can confirm that is how it works.

Nothing like a murky pool 6z levels under ground.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 06:38:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>
But, from what I hear of one of the latest bugs, I'm not sure if it will actually turn into a "subterranean" area again with a floor above it...</STRONG>

I seem to recall that there was never any way to restore the "subterranean" property once a tile lost it, you could only make it "indoors".

Tho it shouldn't be a problem unless you're trying to farm the relocated soil, or maybe if you're on a freezing map.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 08:06:00 pm »

I'm not sure about this but i remember reading in the thread that if you drop a soil layer past a second soil layer only the second one goes down. Not sure if that was fixed.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.