Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My map is on fire and it isn't even my fault.  (Read 9133 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
My map is on fire and it isn't even my fault.
« on: February 11, 2012, 02:32:16 am »

I love titans made of flame so much.  This one is chasing a cat, who just won't die, despite having been caught in three clouds of fire breath and two fireballs.

Note:  The dwarves only JUST finished that wall when this uninvited guest showed up.  I don't know if he can fly or not.  If he can, I'm screwed.  If not, I'll just seal the gates up and lol as he takes care of my migrant problem for me each season.  He can't fly.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT with update:

The cat struck back (!?!?!) and the titan dodged into a murky pool which instantly boiled away.  He's stuck there now.

The cat lived.

Cats: 1
Titans: 0

But...  what can I do about all these fires?  They're really hurting my FPS.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 02:45:19 am by Vehudur »
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: My map is on fire and it isn't even my fault.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 02:37:33 am »

1: DFHack water in (initially slow, and cheating, but the fire will go away quickly).
2: Let it burn out (which it will, though it'll be slow).
3: Block the path of the fire with constructed floors or walls (which is not an option with that titan).
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 02:39:18 am »

I'll DFhack some water onto it, but won't it result in massive, but brief, FPS death due to huge temp calculations?

Rather, I will when I'm done loling at super cat.

Is there a way I can give pets their own room?
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 02:42:48 am »

Isn't the easiest way to deal with fire that hasn't made it to the fortress just, channel around it to prevent further spread?
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 02:44:04 am »

Oh, right, forgot about that.

It's still out of the question, though, due to Mr. FLAME LOLOLOL out there.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 02:44:49 am »

Isn't the easiest way to deal with fire that hasn't made it to the fortress just, channel around it to prevent further spread?

Yeah I guess, now that he's trapped.  There's a curtain wall around my outdoor areas, so it's not a huge concern as long as my FPS doesn't drop too low.

For your personal amusement:

Oh, right, forgot about that.

It's still out of the question, though, due to Mr. FLAME LOLOLOL out there.

Go read the OP - he was defeated (not killed) by a super-cat.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 02:48:58 am »

Uh, wow. That cat... just...

Wow.

How much of the cat is left, anyway?

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 02:51:49 am »

I'll see if I can find him to post a description.  He may have bled to death in the meantime.

EDIT:  He's not dead, I have literally NO dead unnamed cats on my unit list (this cat was unnamed because he didn't own anyone).

However, I have like 40 other unnamed cats in my fortress* so I stand a snowball's chance in hell of finding him.

*I mean to take care of this eventually by caging them, but so many things that are higher priority keep happening - like Uninvited Guests.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 02:58:11 am by Vehudur »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 03:00:53 am »

It can't be that hard, unless the cat managed to escape completely and utterly unharmed.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 03:02:00 am »

You can stop the spread of fires with stockpiles. They don't have to have anything, just place them so tht the ='s are acting like firebreaks.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 03:02:53 am »

It's entirely possible, although exceedingly unlikely.

You can stop the spread of fires with stockpiles. They don't have to have anything, just place them so tht the ='s are acting like firebreaks.

Unless it's a stockpile with flammable items placed on it :P

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 08:49:24 am »

the obvious thing to do now is to make a 5z tower around the pit, strip prisoners and drop them in. the drop should cripple tem so they cant kill it
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

MagmaSolutionsInc

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes elves for their screaming, bubbling noises.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 08:54:37 am »

This is exactly why kittens should be trained as war kittens at birth  :o
stopped zombie cats from adopting dwarves

... with magma.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 08:56:05 am »

the obvious thing to do now is to make a 5z tower around the pit, strip prisoners and drop them in. the drop should cripple tem so they cant kill it
Mega dwarf bonus : Use kittens to cripple prisoners instead of a large drop.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.
Pages: [1] 2