Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Future Questions  (Read 554 times)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Future Questions
« on: February 11, 2012, 01:25:15 am »

Need some answers which I won't discover for another few days or longer because I'm still new to the game:

1} Can I configure siege weapons to fire when a lever is pulled in a different room?  I realize this answer is probably no.

2} The many defense options for fortresses make them quite strong and seems to be invincible.  I know there's creatures which can break doors and buildings, but will there be any creatures which will burrow thru walls or will the goblins eventually attack with siege weapons to break the barriers of the fortress?  (The more variation of methods which can break down my barriers the better... ... because losing is fun.)

3} There's corpses of dead bugs and rodents piling up outside... how can I keep the outside looking more clean and healthy because it's looking ugly outside.

4} What specific level has the pool of magma all nicely ready?

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 01:28:13 am »

1. No.
2. If it is planned, it's not coming out anytime soon.
3. In the orders screen. Press o then r and enable gather outside for vermin and corpses.
4. Depends on the embark.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 01:37:39 am »

*ninja'ed*
2) yeah, you can make impenetrable fortresses. The problem is pathing. How would you allow NPCs to dig without turning your fort into Swiss cheese. most people limit the kinds of defenses they use for this reason. (E.g. no walls, or no bridges, or no doors, or only building destoyer destroyable access points etc.)
*ninja'ed*
4) what? magma is underground. sometimes its FAR underground. Sometimes there's magma pipes that aren't so low. Sometimes they reach the surface, but then it's called a "volcano". Just go down if you want magma, you can't miss it. Then go just a little deeper...

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 01:50:11 am »

4. Anywhere from 40 to 120 levels below the surface.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 07:53:05 pm »

And what is considered being the surface? I started my fortress in the mountains, entrance at level 144. But there is outside terrain several levels deeper. Do I have to expect magma anywhere between 24 and 104?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 08:02:23 pm »

And what is considered being the surface? I started my fortress in the mountains, entrance at level 144. But there is outside terrain several levels deeper. Do I have to expect magma anywhere between 24 and 104?
I would count the surface as the lowest point on the map where you can look up and see the sky, without digging anything out.
There are usually three cavern levels, with about 5-20 levels between them, before the magma sea.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 08:18:19 pm »

Magma pools/pipes go up to something like level 80. Technically they can go up all the way - the game just calls them a volcano then. Since you started in the mountains, you'd have to dig more than if you started in a valley.

If you don't have any pools, then the magma sea is the only magma. That's down around level -10 to 10. You can use dfhack's prospector to see the exact levels if you want.

All the above depends on the worldgen of course, you can warp it to pretty much anything. It's like that for normalish worlds though.