Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One handed weapons vs. Two handed weapons in Fortress Mode: Pros/cons?  (Read 5760 times)

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know that most militia dwarves simply aren't large enough to equip two handed weapons, but for the few who are is the loss of protection a shield affords made up for by increased damage capabilities? Is a creature being cleaved by a great axe or smote with a maul going to take more significant damage than a hit by a mere battle axe or warhammer?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: One handed weapons vs. Two handed weapons in Fortress Mode: Pros/cons?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 12:52:07 am »

I believe that dwarves who have 2-handed weapons can still hold shields anyway.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 01:24:50 am »

Dwarven shields are more like nicotine patches. You slap them all over yourself and forget all your problems.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 01:57:49 am »

1h+s beats the crap out of 2h unless you mod them. As an example of how UP 2h are, in my mod 2h have their stats increased 8 times and 2h axes (halberds I think) still cannot beat battle axe + shield.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 08:00:46 am »

1h+s beats the crap out of 2h unless you mod them. As an example of how UP 2h are, in my mod 2h have their stats increased 8 times and 2h axes (halberds I think) still cannot beat battle axe + shield.

Or dual wielding a warhammer and a battle axe vs 1 2h

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 12:35:16 pm »

Two handed weapons need a higher level of Strength to get the same weapon velocity.
like wise you need a large target to get the full use of 2h sharp weapons, a long cuting edge is no better than a short one when fighting small foes, fight a large foe and the longer edge lets you make bigger cuts.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 03:45:47 pm »

2H has one boon.  Killstealing.  The fella with a 2H will rack up kill after killing blow, while the rest of your militia will not.  Not sure what good that statistic is worth in DF, but in other games its relatively useful, for street credit.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 03:58:29 pm »

I believe that dwarves who have 2-handed weapons can still hold shields anyway.
Once I had a vet to use 2 candy short swords and one shield on the same hand. (That was his only intact hand)
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.