Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: FAQs about Toady and DF (Undergoing revisions, suggestions welcome)  (Read 39232 times)

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
Re: FAQs about Toady and DF (Sticky request pending!)
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2012, 09:12:04 pm »

The whole point of a sticky is that this is probably a more or less static thread- it isn't active enough to be on the front page constantly, but it is useful enough that it should be.

There are others and will be other Frequently asked questions.

This means this will be a burden later on. That is how it works with incomplete FAQs that won't update.

I've done three updates already, and made it clear that my intention is to keep an eye out for new questions worthy of inclusion here and to ask others to do likewise.  If you have anything you think should be added, feel free to do so.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FAQs about Toady and DF
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2012, 10:33:54 pm »

This deserves a sticky, if only to cull the annoying "Why doesn't Toady commission others to help him" threads.
I don't think that would help. People are going to question the logic regardless of hearing the reasoning or not. Truncating new discussion on the topic would only create more harm than good, the question keeps popping up for a very good reason.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FAQs about Toady and DF
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2012, 12:53:19 am »

This deserves a sticky, if only to cull the annoying "Why doesn't Toady commission others to help him" threads.
I don't think that would help. People are going to question the logic regardless of hearing the reasoning or not. Truncating new discussion on the topic would only create more harm than good, the question keeps popping up for a very good reason.

The questions will come up, but the ultimate conclusion reached in these threads is that, whether the reasons are good or not, the decisions are Toady's and he has made them.  The purpose of this thread isn't to prevent those questions from being asked, but to help new people realize that they have been debated and discussed before, and that things aren't going to change right now, and here's why.
On the Nature of Dwarves

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2012, 01:13:43 am »

...and, should things ever change, it'd also be a place (over and above the devnotes, and anything else direct from the amphibian's mouth) for those facts to be presented, recorded or pointed at from.

Not that I expect (or particularly desire) them to, when it comes to some of the more controversial points, but it would be a useful tool whichever way the Giant Pendulum Of Doom swings, and effectively gives the fans (us) the ability self-moderate by consensus such discussions that are prone to interminable repetition of whatever the current facts of the matter are...

Which is not to say that Word Of God cannot do its own Enlightenment, but it should (at least until consensus finds itself totally at odds with any given day's newer version of reality) find it even less needful to interrupt than now, and from our point of view it would be a better solution than drowning in repetition, recurrence, duplication, echoing, reiteration, restating, ingemination, recapitulation, repetition and repetition.

(I suppose, then that I support the stickying, although this, as with all else, is best finally judged by TPTB, regardless of my personal feelings on the matter.  ICBW, as could we all...)

Quarterblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2012, 02:35:52 am »

Regarding Multiplayer DF, add these two links:

How to set up a DF server: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=50643.msg2778052#msg2778052

Useful links about DF servers (currently ONE is up, connect to it while you still can!): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=87683.msg2390256

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2012, 03:06:57 am »

Sticky supporter here, too.  I'd avoid the abbrv, FAQ.  Just 'About Dwarf Fortress' is plenty good for a title. 

FAQ is USENET speech, much like NOOB was at one time MUD speech.  They should remain there, NOOB took on a whole new meaning thanks to MMORPGs, and other visual MUDs.  This is neither a NEWS channel or a USENET group, another words.  rec.games.roguelike already has a FAQ. 

Do whatever you want and call it whatever you want, but that's my .02, for whatever its worth.  I'd want something clear and meaningful at the top of my forum, not something cornfusing..  WTF!  Why The Face? 

Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2012, 03:42:42 am »

FAQ is USENET speech, much like NOOB was at one time MUD speech.

Being a veteran of both these communities (well, more the former than the latter, although I claim a long-ish history on both, even while my couple of decades or so are plainly dwarfed by others that I know), I might not have the most objective perspective on the situation, but both terms seem to me to be fairly well known in everyday life.

While NOOB/n00b/Newb[ie]/etc is (especially in its more 1337-5p34k and semi-descended TXTSPK form) is a fairly deprecated form, perhaps due to the intrinsically depreciative nature of its core meaning, FAQ has pretty much even entered mainstream, including non-computery situations.  Printed matter entitled "FAQ" exists, e.g. accompanying vacuum cleaners and such self-assembly furniture as cares to go beyond the language-independent pictorial 'hints and tips' sheet, and it's certainly heavily found on the kind of corporate and community web-sites that care to actually provide a digest of... well, frequently asked (and answered) questions and queries.  There's really no catch-your-eye term that I can (currently) think of that is also reasonably correct in such a similar summary form, and it's suitable.  I'd almost suggest that, beyond merely stickying it here, we should lobby for it to be put upon the bay12games/dwarves site, except that it is here on bay12forums that the questions are asked.  Also, that alternative would require more active involvement by You Know Who, and I for one don't want to do that to him any more than necessary.

But it's also not "About Dwarf Fortress", anyway.  It's "About the whole scene that orbits and/or spawns Dwarf Fortress".  So far, I haven't seen one item about where and how to set up a farm plot or how Burrows work, in this thread. ;)

(The current title, sans the bit about Sticky request pending, has it more or less correct, with the implication that, as well as being about Toady, it is a Toady-side view of DF suitable for enquiring minds with that particular angle of interest.)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2012, 03:56:43 am »

Being a veteran of both these communities (well, more the former than the latter, although I claim a long-ish history on both, even while my couple of decades or so are plainly dwarfed by others that I know), I might not have the most objective perspective on the situation, but both terms seem to me to be fairly well known in everyday life.

Yeah, "FAQ" is very commonly known outside of Usenet or even the group of people who have ever used Usenet in their lives.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2012, 03:57:16 am »

More or less, I can't argue that with you, Starver and G-flex. 

I'm for it going up there.  It has useful info and helps too.  Some info I wish I had read before playing building my first Fortress.  However, about the maker stuff, as you prolly by now, have come to expect me to say, belongs in a credit reel, either before or after the game itself.  Not in a FAQ or in a sticky, hidden in some forum, somewhere.  I'm still holding to FAQ's belonging in USENET.  If for no other reason, for the people who don't know that 6 is half a dozen. 

The credit reel is like an artists signature.  And its kinda missing in DF v34.01, isn't it?  There is a movie there, and it has his name, but gosh, that's it...  Has to be more, and this post says it, nicely.  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2012, 04:17:33 am »

Erm... what?

You'd like an FAQ (only not called an FAQ, still, even though you don't want to argue against it any more?) about game questions, but a sort of "Who is Toady and what does he do" (i.e. closely alike, though not identical, to what we have here), written by Toady and attached to his own (as yet unfinished) game?

I'm a little confused, but then I'm also sleep-deprived (while I'm trying to re-synch myself to diurnal hours), so it's probably me.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2012, 04:21:20 am »

However, about the maker stuff, as you prolly by now, have come to expect me to say, belongs in a credit reel, either before or after the game itself.  Not in a FAQ or in a sticky, hidden in some forum, somewhere.  I'm still holding to FAQ's belonging in USENET.  If for no other reason, for the people who don't know that 6 is half a dozen.

You're making a lot of baseless assertions here. This makes them not worth responding to, as we have no idea what your logic is, if any.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2012, 06:21:54 pm »

Maybe a simple "Who is this Toady guy?" question at the top of the FAQ would serve as a nice introduction? I've noticed that quite a few of those asking redundant questions (particularly the UI one) don't know how DF development works or who's behind it. Just a short explanation about who the brothers Adams are to put the later answers in perspective would work.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2012, 06:58:54 pm »

The whole point of a sticky is that this is probably a more or less static thread- it isn't active enough to be on the front page constantly, but it is useful enough that it should be.

There are others and will be other Frequently asked questions.

This means this will be a burden later on. That is how it works with incomplete FAQs that won't update.

I've done three updates already, and made it clear that my intention is to keep an eye out for new questions worthy of inclusion here and to ask others to do likewise.  If you have anything you think should be added, feel free to do so.

Well then I have no problems then.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2012, 07:56:38 pm »

Throwing in for stickying this thread.

Also, suggestion for OP: try putting the explanations in spoilers, titled as the questions. Will be much easier that way for someone to find whichever one concerns them. Or even just a question key at the top. Otherwise, excellent job summing things up.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2012, 09:41:17 pm »

Throwing in for stickying this thread.

Also, suggestion for OP: try putting the explanations in spoilers, titled as the questions. Will be much easier that way for someone to find whichever one concerns them. Or even just a question key at the top. Otherwise, excellent job summing things up.

Good suggestion, will do.

Maybe a simple "Who is this Toady guy?" question at the top of the FAQ would serve as a nice introduction? I've noticed that quite a few of those asking redundant questions (particularly the UI one) don't know how DF development works or who's behind it. Just a short explanation about who the brothers Adams are to put the later answers in perspective would work.

That's not a bad idea.  Will add that soon.
On the Nature of Dwarves
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8