Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: FAQs about Toady and DF (Undergoing revisions, suggestions welcome)  (Read 39226 times)

Die Nacht

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMUNE_TO_SOCIAL_LIFE]
    • View Profile
Re: FAQs about Toady and DF
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2012, 02:28:05 am »

You're entitled to your opinion, but Toady himself states his reasons in the audio recording I linked.

I know, I just don't understand how is a flashing ASCII or tile-graphic going to bring bad publicity. It is fine if he doesn't want to do it, the only thing sex would add is that the two ASCII will come together and flash between the two. Right now, there is sex, it just doesn't show it (unless someone has heard of a woman giving birth without husband in the game).

However, I don't know if this is the case already, women should not be giving birth if the father (or mother if she's the one in the army) is, lets say, in the army and the army is attacking some other fort or town; unless the woman, you know, decided she just couldn't wait.

If this is already the case, then forget sex (no point in wasting time and code in bringing two ASCII together) but the pair should at least be together for it to happen.

As for feces, well it would be another challenge (you need plumbing in your fort. Unless you decide to use septic tanks) so I think it would be good to add. Again, low priority. I don't think people will think of the game as "that game where dwarfs poop". The game is so big (and getting bigger) that feces will be such a small thing that people will just see it as an extra thing.
It is commonly thought that animals in this game re-produce with spores. If you have, say, a female horse deep underground and tied up, and a wild male horse wanders onto the map, the female can get pregnant and give birth eventually without ever going near the male.

Female dwarves can give birth no matter where the father is, even if he's dead. That's because they don't give birth at random, they get pregnant and have a gestation period first. As far as I know, there's no way to tell in-game if something is pregnant until they give birth and go about their business.

I'm in no hurry to add feces to this game. I have no desire to be a sewage technician in real life, so why would I want to deal with it in a game?

It is commonly thought that animals in this game re-produce with spores.

Yeah...I'm sure the "virgin" Mary used the same excuse.

Sewers are already in the game, might as well use them. Also, I'm always up for "another challenge". All of the challenges in Fortress are either external (Goblins) or simple-internal (no food, no water, no booze). It would be nice to have infrastructural challenges (Build a sewer, have some purpose for roads, build lighting torches, etc). People already build large, complex water systems that they DON'T have to build (putting a well on water fixes the issue). Now you could have a mandate to build a plumbing system (because they are tired of going all the way down to the aquifer to get water) and so and so.

It would make the game more challenging, fun, and it would actually make you advance your fortress into something more than just a hole in the ground with a wall around it and a bunch of military people and traps to protect it.

'rtg593' Bemongibruk, forumite cancels megaproject: interrupted by 0.34.01.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: FAQs about Toady and DF (Sticky request pending!)
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2012, 02:38:20 am »

So it would be a hole in the ground with pipes leading into a pit/pond. That really doesn't add much.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2012, 02:40:48 am »

This is getting sidetracked; the purpose of the thread is to keep a handy list of FAQs for reference to new players and linking in recurring threads, and to suggest other questions/issues that need to be added or clarified.

The answers provided may not be the ones we as a community agree with, but they're the answers for why things are the way they are, and rehashing the debates again here defeats the purpose of this thread entirely.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2012, 02:42:34 am »

Sorry. Re-rail!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: FAQs about Toady and DF
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2012, 02:50:01 am »

Thank you. If this turns into yet another thread discussing bodily functions, it'll probably simply get ignored altogether.

Back on topic - are there any other questions that you can think of that get asked a lot? 'Cause I'm tapped.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2012, 02:59:24 am »

Not at the moment, no.  I'm watching the forums and Future of the Fortress thread more closely now, and intend to PM Footkerchief to help with the maintenance of this thread (Lord knows he can tell us which questions crop up ALL THE TIME), since new FAQs are likely to arise over time as the game changes, new bugs arise, old ones are fixed and unexpected changes become "working as intended" features.

Don't forget to voice your support for a sticky by typing it in lime green color, so Toady knows how we feel!  I haven't received a response to my PM to him yet, nor a post here, and I don't want to harass him about this while he's in the middle of a bugfix.  So, be patient, everyone.  Once things can settle down hopefully we can get a definitive yay-or-nay on the matter.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2012, 03:07:25 am »

I didn't type it properly before, so I wholeheartedly support the stickyfication of this thread!

Die Nacht

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMUNE_TO_SOCIAL_LIFE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2012, 09:41:42 am »

Wait, this thing is not already sticky? MAKE NOW!!!!
'rtg593' Bemongibruk, forumite cancels megaproject: interrupted by 0.34.01.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2012, 10:23:02 am »

Not supporting Sticky until you can prove that this isn't a static thread. Add onto the FAQ! keep adding!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2012, 10:42:00 am »

The whole point of a sticky is that this is probably a more or less static thread- it isn't active enough to be on the front page constantly, but it is useful enough that it should be.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2012, 11:19:48 am »

The whole point of a sticky is that this is probably a more or less static thread- it isn't active enough to be on the front page constantly, but it is useful enough that it should be.

There are others and will be other Frequently asked questions.

This means this will be a burden later on. That is how it works with incomplete FAQs that won't update.

Gunnarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2012, 12:07:09 pm »

just leaving this here,

it is just interesting to read and might show a few things, its mainly a reporting of the life of Toady and creating his game:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/magazine/the-brilliance-of-dwarf-fortress.html?pagewanted=all

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2012, 02:07:29 pm »

just leaving this here,

it is just interesting to read and might show a few things, its mainly a reporting of the life of Toady and creating his game:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/magazine/the-brilliance-of-dwarf-fortress.html?pagewanted=all
I read that article before. Kinda interesting, though I'm a little worried about Toady's health now.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2012, 02:32:24 pm »

This needs some stickyment.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2012, 05:43:12 pm »

just leaving this here,

I read that article before. Kinda interesting, though I'm a little worried about Toady's health now.
I had the same reaction to that article. It made me want to specify that my recent donation was to be spent on bottled WATER and organic food. Diabetes is teh suxxor, Toady, don't drink so much sugar!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8