Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I am flooding my map - pump help needed! glub glub glub...  (Read 1850 times)

dropzonetoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I am flooding my map - pump help needed! glub glub glub...
« on: February 10, 2012, 05:32:37 pm »

How do you stop a pump?  I built a my first pump ever off a river and hooked it up to a waterwheel on the dry flat land I call home.  Now I am starting to call home a lake.  I thought I could just turn off the pump but it had too much water for my people to get to it. 

Pic proving fun :)

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I am flooding my map - pump help needed! glub glub glub...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 05:37:07 pm »

Gear assembly should have been used. Since you can't reach the pump or water wheel then you just have to wait for winter until it freezes. If it doesn't freeze then good luck, since I have no idea how to fix this.

dropzonetoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 05:40:34 pm »

It never freezes I was trying to wet the savanna I live in :)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 05:41:40 pm »

Build a floor walkway over and towards it, then once you're just 2 tiles away and above the pump, build a floor grate, and designate a floor tile to be built directly above it. The unsupported floor will destroy the pump.

Or you could, you know, keep your watery apocalypse running.

TheGazebo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 05:44:42 pm »

Build channels to divert the flow off the map then cause a cave in to destroy the pump. Your fps will suffer until the pum?p is switched off but it should be doable.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 03:44:17 am »

Hey, that looks like my first attempt to create a moat.

Mistake I made too. Set up a gear assembly somewhere in the linking, hook it up with a lever that is not anywhere near the area likely to be flooded, just so you can turn it off if needed. Or, you know, pump it by hand.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 04:42:56 am »

Yup, that's what happened to me too; I wasn't expecting a pump to work that well and managed to flood the top layer of my fort. As others have suggested, dig channels to divert the water into a temporary reservoir until you can get close enough.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 04:47:57 am »

Another caveat: You do not want to hook your water wheel (or windmill) directly into a disconnecting gear... When disengaged, the gear will no longer support the wheel/windmill/vertical axis above the gear and everything it's holding up will deconstruct.
(This is how I failed one of my first aqueduct projects...)
I posted an example of a workable (and building destroyer safe) pump station in the noob questions thread.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

dropzonetoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 10:34:35 am »

Thanks for the advice.  I had already started to channel to the empty ponds and that helped a bit but this is the fun bit.... right in front of the pump(in the river) was a 1 lvl of water that over a dozen dwarfs got stuck in.  It was too dangerous for them to work and while a few would walk(swim?) the river and climb out most stayed down there till they were killed by the falling floor.

Deaths in my game;
First siege         - 2 dwarfs
Second siege    - 1 to infection later
4 forgotten beasts - 3 to suffocation - I think it had some sort of poisoned blood
4-5 from random things
I started this water pump with 120 - once it was destroyed 88  A dozen are piled alone in a single watery grave I am attempting to sap from below to recover- levers doors and all that.   

I've been playing for over a year and the first time I try a pump it was great!  Already thoughts of great pump cannons off my battlement to sweep sieges from my front door into giant pits are rolling in my head!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 01:29:45 pm »

You always have to remember that the pump raises the level of the water to the same as that of the pump. So if you're going to pump into the open, do it with a dwarf.

Nullnostalgia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 10:14:33 pm »

Build a wall around your fort's entrance, build a wall as close to the edge of the map- then create controlled cave-ins, or use DFhack to make it so you have a wall leading to the edge of the map... And then enjoy your new man-made dwarf lake, with only one avenue of approach.

Alternatively, it'll just drain out of the edge of the map anyways. So it's not like you've created a megaflood. Just... Wall up your fortress entrance, or mod your dwarves to have the [AMPHIBIOUS] tag.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 07:32:19 am »

Wall around the entrance of the fortress, build stairs up a couple of levels, then a floor out over the water wheel. At the last tile just over the center of the water wheel, build a wall, then deconstruct the floor. The impact of the wall should destroy both it and the waterwheel, stopping the pump in it's tracts.

Unless of course I'm wrong, which has been known to happen.