Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Babysplosion  (Read 1388 times)

Edges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Babysplosion
« on: February 10, 2012, 05:11:30 pm »

I've set pop cap to 80 for FPS. But then babies! I've only had 2 or 3 children migrate to the fort. But I now have 8 children and 11 babies. My pop is 103 and FPS is down to low 30s. None of my other forts had so many little ones. I thought default vanilla had less babies.

I just opened DF and within 5 minutes, 3 more babies were born!

Make it stop.

And on a grimmer note, can I get rig of existing babies? My DF experience mostly consists of a never ending battle to keep FPS playable. It's a full time job to haul old cloths, kill/process every animal in sight, clean up messes, etc. But now pop explosion is breaking me. Do I need to start yet another fort with the babies set way low or is there hope for "Portalurns"?

TheGazebo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Babysplosion
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 05:42:07 pm »

Do babies respect burrows? If they do then there's 101 ways to get rid of them. Otherwise try drafting all your dorfs, giving them any old armour and then set up repeating upright spike traps full of training spears all over your fort. This has the added bonus of clearing up all those useless pets. Bonus points if you survive the inevitable tantrum spiral. Good luck :D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 05:43:27 pm »

Burrow all of your mothers, send them to a flooding room and flood their babies away from them.

Then burrow them away. Hey presto, they'll leave their babies alone, and you can chuck them off mount Taygetus as you wish.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 08:30:08 pm »

Or you can lower the baby_cap and/or the number of idle dwarves so you don't have any more children.  On the bright side, if you can lose 10 or so adults in the next in game decade you'll already have your replacements in the fort. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

agambadi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 04:54:48 pm »

My last fortress had 93 children/babies in it and 160 adults, it was horrible (my FPS was fine thought).
An hour or so before I decided to set that fortress aside for a while there was a cave-in at one of my projects that crushed 10 dwarves which had me worried for a second, but they turned out to be babies and children and I was relieved. Only in dwarf fortress...

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 10:38:30 pm »

I suggest you look at this thread for some inspiration on how to turn your problem in to your fortresses greatest strength.  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91093.0

WARNING: actually killing the children may result in FUN if you have an insufficiently awesome dinning room.  i.e.  tantrum spiral
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 09:10:00 pm by friendguy13 »
I find it funny that until now, no one (including myself) stopped to consider the absurdity of a submarine in which the crew cabin is filled with water and the crew is drowning when everything is working properly.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 05:09:12 am »

The solution is simple, kill their friends and parents.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 05:15:15 am »

You gotta turn off babies and reproduction in the .int file.

upright spike traps would be my method of damage control here.