Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress IRL  (Read 5980 times)

Harry959

• Bay Watcher
  • Anti-Flanking Bomber Goat
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress IRL
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 10:29:19 pm »

Why don't supermodels just alternately jump in pools of magma and water to lose fat?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 10:33:58 pm »

Why don't supermodels just alternately jump in pools of magma and water to lose fat?
Because we like supermodels, not eyeless, fatless, skinless zombies.  wait... I forgot, they are already that.  Yes, have them leap into the blood of the earth!  The sooner the better!
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Clockwise Onions

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 11:55:57 pm »

Urist McOnion has admired own finely crafted, tastefully arranged computer recently.

Urist McOnion is tired of drinking the same old booze.

Urist McOnion has talked with someone annoying recently.

Urist McOnion cancels sleep: interrupted by insomnia and Dwarf Fortress.  ::)

While watching a fight scene on some TV show I tried to create a DF-like combat report of the whole thing. It actually made the fight scene a little more enjoyable to watch. Oh god I play this game too much.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 12:39:07 am »

Hmm, what's going on here? And why is everybody acting so OH GOD THE KITTENS ARE EVERYWHERE! THEY'RE GONNA GET ME! ARGH! THEY'RE EATING MY FACE! HOW ARE THERE THAT MANY? URCH...
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 01:02:18 am »

While playing Terraria, I was thinking

"The flying Thorn Chakram strikes the Skeleton in the upper body, fracturing the bone!"

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 01:12:07 am »

While playing Terraria, I was thinking

"The flying Thorn Chakram strikes the Skeleton in the upper body, fracturing the bone!"

and dwarf fortress soundly ruined minecraft and terraria for me,

Terraria: NO silver and gold are NOT better than iron.
Both: it is not IRON ore, it is hematite, geothite, etc etc.
Terraria: you do not find silver in its pure form that often.
etc etc etc.

and yes DF has completely invaded my mind, i think of action movies in terms of combat reports, i pictured a old age death message while attending my aunts funeral.
also weirdly enough, i have become a far more effective fighter after playing dwarf fortress, i think i learn from video games too easily... ???

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 01:13:55 am »

But if you put the cat in the box...

OH NO.

Quantum mechanics. FFFUUUUU-

JUST SET THE BOX ON FIRE BEFORE WE AAAHAHHGHHGHGHH

Not Even Doom Music
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

glinmaleldur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 02:13:01 am »

Does anyone else think that they know WAY more about geology than they actually do?
I've also caught myself explaining how to make things out of glass to other people.
I don't know anything about making glass that I didn't learn from DF.
Wrestling people to the ground by their teeth: surprisingly effective!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 02:16:56 am by glinmaleldur »

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 02:47:07 am »

I've got a bit of background in geology and I have not found anything in the game that's just flat out wrong - except the fantasy stuff like Candy and the clown houses.  So you're going to at least be close.  With that said, there are some inaccuracies, so don't write a paper based on it.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 03:40:00 am »

Glass is a little incorrect in DF.

Window glass (aka "clear glass") is not made from sand and pearlash.
It is made from sand and a clarifying mineral. In the case of window glass, this is usually calcium carbonate. Alternatives include selenium, and manganese oxide.

All the pearlash would do is help with the melt.

In addition to green, and clear glasses, other noteworthy glass formulations that have bee available since antiquity are blue, red, yellow, brown, purple, and orange. Some being vastly more toxic than others.

For instance, red glass was extrmemely expensive, because it is made with fumed gold as the colorant. It is however, quite dinnerware safe.

Orange is flat out toxic, being made from cadmium sulfide.

Yellow has many possible sources, the best being selenium and cadmium.

Green has 2 flavors: iron, the most common impurity that makes green bottleglass green, and chromium, which produces a very intense, powerful emerald green.

Blue can come as "aqua" type, made from copper oxide impurity, or "ultramarine", made from cobalt oxide.

Purple comes from manganese.

Brown comes from iron in an oxidation environment. (Green from reduction.)

The most common clarifier used to decolorize window glass in the roman up to the victorian era was manganese. In trace amounts the manganese forms colorless complexes with the trace iron impurities commonly found in sand, removing the green color. Depending on the degree of iron contamination, potentially large amounts of manganese are needed. This distinctive formulation of glass turns purple under exposure to UV light, such as sunlight, very very slowly over the course of many decades. Selenium is more forgiving, and turns a dull straw yellow to dingy light brown instead when large quantities are present.

Creation of opaque glasses requires antimony trioxide, or some other opacifier.

Given the supplies available in df, the following colors of glass should be available:

Iron green (bottle glass)
Ultramarine blue (cobaltite)
Deep red (gold fume)
Aqua blue (copper)
Brown (iron, oxidation env.)
Clear (with flux stone)
Glow in the dark "vaseline" (uranium from pitchblende)

However, I doubt that toady will risk even more bugs in the glassmaking system by creating all those variants.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 03:50:36 am »

Df has not (yet) invaded my mind, but i do feel like theres lag in real life sometimes...
o-o

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

glinmaleldur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2012, 04:18:07 am »

Glass is a little incorrect in DF.

Window glass (aka "clear glass") is not made from sand and pearlash.
It is made from sand and a clarifying mineral. In the case of window glass, this is usually calcium carbonate. Alternatives include selenium, and manganese oxide.

All the pearlash would do is help with the melt.

In addition to green, and clear glasses, other noteworthy glass formulations that have bee available since antiquity are blue, red, yellow, brown, purple, and orange. Some being vastly more toxic than others.

For instance, red glass was extrmemely expensive, because it is made with fumed gold as the colorant. It is however, quite dinnerware safe.

Orange is flat out toxic, being made from cadmium sulfide.

Yellow has many possible sources, the best being selenium and cadmium.

Green has 2 flavors: iron, the most common impurity that makes green bottleglass green, and chromium, which produces a very intense, powerful emerald green.

Blue can come as "aqua" type, made from copper oxide impurity, or "ultramarine", made from cobalt oxide.

Purple comes from manganese.

Brown comes from iron in an oxidation environment. (Green from reduction.)

The most common clarifier used to decolorize window glass in the roman up to the victorian era was manganese. In trace amounts the manganese forms colorless complexes with the trace iron impurities commonly found in sand, removing the green color. Depending on the degree of iron contamination, potentially large amounts of manganese are needed. This distinctive formulation of glass turns purple under exposure to UV light, such as sunlight, very very slowly over the course of many decades. Selenium is more forgiving, and turns a dull straw yellow to dingy light brown instead when large quantities are present.

Creation of opaque glasses requires antimony trioxide, or some other opacifier.

Given the supplies available in df, the following colors of glass should be available:

Iron green (bottle glass)
Ultramarine blue (cobaltite)
Deep red (gold fume)
Aqua blue (copper)
Brown (iron, oxidation env.)
Clear (with flux stone)
Glow in the dark "vaseline" (uranium from pitchblende)

However, I doubt that toady will risk even more bugs in the glassmaking system by creating all those variants.

Thanks for taking the time to write all this out. You must know your stuff.
So where do the kitten leather bags figure into the process? You didn't mention that.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2012, 04:23:42 am »

Containers for sand, containers for oxides and flux powders.
Convenient use of kittens.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2012, 05:33:00 am »

Does anyone else think that they know WAY more about geology than they actually do?
I've also caught myself explaining how to make things out of glass to other people.
I don't know anything about making glass that I didn't learn from DF.
Not only geology, also soap making, metallurgy etc.

Physics or architercture, on the other hand... Well, let's just say the "perpetual waterfall powered lead house on a soap pillar" idea never quite took off.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2012, 11:02:09 am »

Soapmaking, dyeing, glassmaking, and brewing are things I've been studying because of this game at one point or another!

Also, minerology, gemology, and geology.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.
Pages: 1 [2] 3