Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is the most difficult way to make a fortress which isn't impossible?  (Read 2483 times)

Bananarang

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

For example, the hardest I have managed is a terrifying glacier with only a wagon, 7 plump helmets (One for each dwarf) and a copper pick.

Can you think of anything harder?

Elf Lover

• Bay Watcher
  • AAA
    • View Profile
Re: What is the most difficult way to make a fortress which isn't impossible?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 01:14:16 pm »

For example, the hardest I have managed is a terrifying glacier with only a wagon, 7 plump helmets (One for each dwarf) and a copper pick.

Can you think of anything harder?

A terrifying glacier with no plump helmets, and an anvil.
Every Dwarf Fortress Fort is a concentration camp, only without the nazis.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 01:18:06 pm »

Saltwater biome, no booze, no plump helmets, no pick.  Better make some barrels and scrounge up some plants, fast.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 01:27:09 pm »

Saltwater terrifying biome with no booze...EVER! No trees. Terrain with "Clay, Very Deep Soil" on a freezing and completely flat tundra (with no river acess, so you better start looking for underground water). War humans on first chance. Never trade. Bonus points for prohibition of steel. Dwarfbonus not using neither pumps nor wells for water underground (only ponds. If the water is saltwater, then you may use ONE PUMP to desalnalize it)
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 01:30:13 pm »

I remember reading on the wiki that you can start with no tools (except an anvil), a single piece of copper ore, and a single fireproof stone.  Anything else is completely optional.
Spoiler: how to survive (click to show/hide)

I think a terrifying saltwater glacier would be the worst embark site, depending on the presence or absence of an aquifer and the level of mineral scarcity.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 04:19:16 pm »

It is possible to do 0 point embarks on most biomes. Then only exceptions are biomes where it is impossible to get something to drink, such as deserts and glaciers.
-If you embark somewhere with fresh water at the surface, simply try to survive until the first caravan. You can do this by butchering your first animal for food and use the bones to construct a crossbow and bolts to hunt for more food. Use the three logs from your wagon to construct a depot, wait for the depot to unload everything, then deconstruct the depot to claim all merchandise. Continue as usual.
-If you embark somewhere without fresh water but with trees and plants, use one of your three logs to make a Carpenter's Shop and the turn the other two in training axes. Chop down as much wood as you want and try to survive on surface farming and hunting. Once the caravan arrives, construct and deconstruct the depot as in the previous situation.
-If you embark somewhere with plants but no trees, turn one of your logs into a barrel for the booze, then try to focus as much as possible on hunting for the first year. Once the caravan arrives, attack them with your crossbows. If you are lucky you will be able to claim their stuff and continue as usual.
-If you embark anywhere without fresh water and without plants to brew, this is impossible as far as I know. If only milk were drinkable.

Glaciers are generally the easiest biomes to penetrate the aquifers. Deserts would be more difficult.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 02:01:31 am »

Intensifying Mod v0.25, terrifying desert+ocean combo with 1 cavern layer. Ya I know it was not released ;p
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Tahlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 03:24:39 am »

Problem with all these suggestions is it will only slow down your start, If you want a very difficult game you'd need something to keep you busy all the time, Which isn't possible even with a terrifying biome.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 03:32:08 am »

Build only above ground, and have ample housing for everyone. As well as what they said.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.