Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Torn Between Three Games...  (Read 2513 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Torn Between Three Games...
« on: February 10, 2012, 08:39:17 am »

*Drumroll* Here they are:

Shogun 2 total war
Europa Universalis 3 ( vanilla )
Crusader Kings 1

Yes, all strategy games. I do not know which one to pick.  I think I can afford all of them, but really, that's unfeasible.  So, if I'm gonna get a new game in the future, I'd like it to be one of these three. 

Rate, review and criticize, but only if you have actually played one or more of these games.  I'd love to see someone who has played all three, that person's suggestion and opinion will matter significantly more.  But still, for actual players, please give your advice. 

I'm not exactly the best strategist, I've played Rome and Medieval, so I know that I like the Total War series.  However, the significantly higher price tag, not to mention the limited factions and the fact that I ragequit after suffering defeat, limits it for me. 

Europa Universalis seems like the middle ground, not as extreme as Crusader Kings, but more empire-buildy like the Total War series.  Still, it's quite complicated. 

Crusader kings.  The Diamond in the rough of Paradox.  Extremely awesome game idea, but the bugs, from what I've heard seem pretty bad.  Plus, with Crusader kings 2 coming out...

Any tips and advice? 

EDIT: Alright, it seems Europa Universalis 3 is winning.   I might get this in the future.  If so, which expansion pack.  All of them would be nice, but I don't like the Steam download time.  So, in your opinion, which is the best expansion pack.

Please list ALL the expansion packs and rate, in your opinion, each of their pros and cons.  I might just snap them all up, but to save some money, and to see if I like EU3, I might just get one. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 09:59:17 am by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Torn Between Three Games...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 08:51:30 am »

I've only played shogun out of those three, but to be honest, its more of the same from CA. I do the whole ragequitting after a defeat too so I know how you feel.

I'd say give EU a try. I've been following that thread since it started and while I haven't got around to buying it yet, it looks like a pretty good changeup
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 08:55:38 am »

EU3 is a great game but I can't imagine playing it without expansions.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 09:03:30 am »

Shogun 2 - a little more arcadey than the previous titles but still the best tactical game.
EU3 - For the grand strategy campaign, the diplomacy and all the other great stuff.
CK1 - Wait for 2?

Just comparing shogun 2 and EU3 you either choose the game where you play for the tactical battles and the strategical aspect just decides what you get to start with. Or you choose the game where you plan an empire and combat is just a means to further your goals.

If you haven't played any of the Grand strategy games from paradox you're in for a rough start if you pick EU3 before you learn the mechanics.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 09:08:31 am »

I would recomend EU III. Its my over-all favorite game and its the only thing I have come back to again and again for hours of gameplay. Its also worth noting that its not too terribly complex once you get all the stuff down like income, landforce limits, and inflation down.

But you must be perpared for rage when the game seemingly bullshits you. Lots and lots of rage.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 09:56:46 am »

I've only played shogun out of those three, but to be honest, its more of the same from CA.

This. Not the same in a bad way mind you. Shogun 2 has better vanilla game than Rome or M2TW for sure (mod scene is a whole 'nother story, though...). With that in mind, I would say take EUIII. The Chronicles bundle has all the expansions included. Don't confuse it with Complete, which is in fact incomplete as it was released one or two expansions ago. EUIII has a lot to delve into so it should keep you hooked up for a good long time. I'm sidelining CK1 because if you haven't still tried it, you might as well just jump straight into CK2 as it's published right about now these days.

Economically thinking, you can get EUIII with years worth of expansions in one cheap bundle while you would have to pay a little more just for Shogun 2. Few years down the road when you can get Shogun 2 and expansion(s) in a nice, cheap all-in-one pack it might be another story.

I suppose it boils down to whether you want more total war campaign battles in a more polished game where each faction is identical or if you want Victoria with longer timeframe and different emphasis. They're all good games so you can't really make a miss here.

Europa Universalis III: Chronicles bundled all four expansions with the original game.  <--- If you want EUIII, you want this.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:06:29 am by Delta Foxtrot »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 10:00:48 am »

Edited the first post. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 10:41:12 am »

CK2 and Shogun:the stand alone expansion are both coming soon.

And EU3 (with all extensions) is better then both. But yes: BUY CHRONICLES 30 BUCKS ON STEAM! NOT 15!

Great game.

I have played all three.

CK1 is showing it's age at this point, and is just not as solid a game. It's actually less complex in many ways then EU3. The only thing it has over it is really the whole thing about you being a blood line and not a country. But other then that the game itself is mostly shallower then EU3.

Shogun is... Good. But honestly, if you have the other games you are not missing much. It is much less complex. Fewer unit types. Few buildings. A limit on how many buildings you can have. Much more simplified sieges (anyone can climb up walls and all castles at any level but the top two levels all are exactly the same) but with some good mechanics. I would say the game might be worth upgrading too, but not at the cost of EU3 and you might hate it compared to the other total war games.

EU3. Oh man. What to say about EU3. Play any nation from 1399 to some time I dunno. With all the expansion it is great. Become a merchant kingdom with your fingers in pies all over the world. Or Colonize the new world, fighting natives and other power for new lands and resources. Try to unite the Holy Roman Empire under you and bring the world to your feet. Become a Russian Minor and try to bring together all the other Russian minors (will you use a fist of iron or a fist of velvet? Or a iron fist in a velvet glove?) and fight back the hordes to crown yourself the true king of Russia. Be one of the four major Japanese shoguns and fight for influence, money, and power, your weapons are your navies, your armies, your purse, your contacts, and of course your loyal ninjas, can you unite Japan under your rule? Take over at the court of China, stand on top of a monolithic empire that relies on the mandate off heaven   And the agreement of the three major fractions within. Unite India into a true nation, hopefully in time to withstand the storm of Europeans coming for riches, it will start with trade but might end with conquest. Become a horde and ravage the soft kingdoms all around you, but can you withstand the infighting of the horde and the technological advancements of the ones you once crushed?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:57:31 am by Criptfeind »

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 02:22:10 pm »

Shogun 2 is pretty good fun if you like Japanese warfare, which is quite a bit different to Western warfare of the same period.

EU3 looks awesome, and I bought it on Steam in the sales, but I just can't get into it, it's so complex. I'm working on it though, starting with the gentler Paradox games like Sengoku.

CK1 is... eh. Pretty flawed if you ask me, you'd be better off waiting for CK2. If you're from England, you can get it from Amazon for like £22, don't settle for Steam's extortionate prices.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 02:45:33 pm »

If you get EU3, get Chronicles -- which is all the expansions bundled together. I really wouldn't bother with any other version of the game at this point.

If you get CK1, you'd probably want to get DV, since it smoothed out a rough game a bit. But really, you should just get CK2 if you go down this line. Not that CK1 is a bad game, it's entirely playable and still a lot of fun... but CK2 is simply better.

In fact, you should just get CK2. Unless you really want the tactical battles of TW, in which case get Shogun.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 05:05:36 pm »

No one's mentioned this yet, but if you pre-order Crusader Kings II on Steam right now you get the first one as well. I would recommend either that or EU3: Chronicles.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 06:23:49 pm »

In fact, you should just get CK2.

/thread

Though, if you're looking for a game with the same kind of "playing as a bloodline, not a country" thing but with a game that's been out for a while and patched up and gotten cheaper, I wholeheartedly recommend Sengoku.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 07:09:55 pm »

I'd go with Crusader Kings 2. I'm only basing my opinion on the demo (which you should check out if you're interested), but it has that Tudors/Game of Thrones style of intrigue that I really love, on top of a really cool dynastic system. Marrying your way to the top, assassinating people, setting up your inner circle, betraying and being betrayed, marching armies against your enemies ... it has the stuff I really enjoy.

And, for what it's worth, CK2 is the first Paradox game I've ever played that felt actually finished at release. Polished, not burdened down by a huge number of instant game-killing bugs, and quite beautiful to look at. But play the demo and see for yourself! Go through the tutorials included in the demo, at least, it'll give you plenty of opportunities to try stuff out and allow you to make a decision with some personal experience under your belt.

EUIII Chronicles is amazing, too. Each expansion offers new fixes AND new features, making it worthwhile to own them all. Most Pardox games tend to be like that in my opinion. Right now I'm more excited for the CK2 release, but you would definitely not be making a mistake by going with EUIII. It depends on what you want, really -- do you want to play as a nation, or as a powerful (or weak, your choice) family influencing or ruling a nation?

Both are damn good, though. EU III has the advantage of months and months of additions and fixes, but I have a feeling CK2 is going to be an equal or greater success in the long term since it's already so very strong.

I've played so many Total War games that I was honestly a little underwhelmed (burned out, probably) with Shogun 2. It wasn't bad, really, just kind of samey to me, and didn't pull me in as much as EU III and the CK2 demo repeatedly do.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 07:12:58 pm by SeaBee »

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 09:02:47 pm »

I have found EU III extremely hard to get into. I've tried repeatedly. Each time I sort of pick up a new trick that's useful but none of how to play the game moderately well is documented anywhere (yes I look at the wiki, what website am I posting this on anyway) and I always end up falling terribly behind on at least one and possibly three of economy, technology, and military. Most of what is interesting about it is seeing what the other nations get up to.

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 10:56:55 pm »

Why not just wait a few days and pick up CK2?  It is gonna be epic and if Sengoku is a sign of Paradox's new release strategy--releasing games that actually work--it should be one of their brest.  CK 1 is definitely my favorite of their games.
Pages: [1] 2