Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stockpile full of cartilages/hoofs/skulls/shel but McBoner refuses to make stuff  (Read 1826 times)

Gullydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello,
I guess the title is self explanatory. I have ordered some bolts and some crossbows in bone.
For a long time it went fine, but now they keep cancelling their jobs with the message that there is no unrotten bone body part. But there are loads :(
Are skulls/cartilages/hoofs/shells no good as carving materials go?
Grtz,
Urist McTraveler
"Gullydwarf cancels play Dwarf Fortress. Interrupted by stray female."

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Skulls are made into helmets and shells i beleve also. hoofs cartilages dont count i think you need straight bones to carve them into bolts. i would suggest you try wooden bolts they are nicer in the way that you make 25 for each tree where as the bone ones ongly come in a stack of 5 wich kinda tends to make the hunters run out of ammo.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile

Hello,
I guess the title is self explanatory. I have ordered some bolts and some crossbows in bone.
For a long time it went fine, but now they keep cancelling their jobs with the message that there is no unrotten bone body part. But there are loads :(
Are skulls/cartilages/hoofs/shells no good as carving materials go?
Grtz,
Urist McTraveler
skulls-made into totems, nothing else.
cartilage- waste, dump it.
hoof/horn- cannot make bows or bolts from them, but can make other things. Just look around the craftshop menu, you'll find it.
shell- same as hoof/horn
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Gullydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for the replies :)

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile

So you pretty much just have a barrel full of trade goods on your hands.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile

So you pretty much just have a barrel full of trade goods on your hands.
crappy armor too, but crappy armor is better than none.
MUCH better.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

nitus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It takes some time for refuse to decompose enough to provide useful bone materials, too. If you're serious about bonework you should go into the orders menu and set it so dwarves collect refuse from outside (o > r > o) in order to speed up the process a little. Bonecrafting is imo one of the fastest ways to have something to trade by the first caravan arrival.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 04:00:58 am by nitus »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile

I've had a butcher dead animal on repeat and it takes care of the "leg" and other body parts of non sentients that are not butchered automatically because they went rotten and are now skeletal.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Gullydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's nice :) I think I am in the 3rd or 4th year of my fortress but I am using the bone because I have not so much wood and I needed the crossbows and bolts. I have dug down to -122 and found two underground caverns but I have not found coal or magma yet :( I do have an enormous amount of different ores.. so when I do find magma my economy is going to boom!
Progress is slow because I am only sporadically playing and I am on a netbook so FPS is around 25 mostly.. But I feel it has helped me keep track of things in the fort better. My fort is more organized than any of my previous forts have been. It helps to have no Goblins... unmodded. And the one Forgotten Beast I got is still stuck somewhere in the caverns because I walled them up after finding them. Now there is also Trolls in the caverns but I am not sure if I should risk my dumb army down there. Maybe I should first get a little hospital set up ;)
I have only 93 dwarfs now because I limited the population cap. Migrants are so overwhelming sometimes.