Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Non Gamer Girlfriends and Portal...  (Read 3785 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Non Gamer Girlfriends and Portal...
« on: February 09, 2012, 10:34:49 pm »

Now I dont know why I never thought of this before. At this moment I am resting on my bed as my Girlfriend is playing Protal for the first time. Being a non gamer, her fingers and mouse contorl is really bad. Always forgetting to recenter the mouse and struggles to strafe right. But he ia getting there. She also does that thing were when you tell someone to look left, they look rifh. Havent told her that she isnt even up to the main part of the game yet but she is having fun. Cant wait till its time for Cake...

Anyone else introduce Portal to their other half. With or without gaming exp..

Edit. Gah hate touch phones. Attempting to move back to right sub fourm...
Edit 2. Gah cant move. HATE TOUCHSCREENS!!!
EDIT 3. Finally got back onto my PC and found that Move Topic button...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 02:06:38 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Re: Non Gamer Girlfriends and Portal...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 12:37:29 am »

It's too painful for me to look.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 02:06:07 am »

Sometimes you just need to be on something that isn't tiny and stupid like a Phone to create new threads...

Whats too painful???
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 02:10:25 am »

My friend is a gamer, and watching him play Portal 2 when I've beaten it before is a terrible experience, because I am bad at hiding my emotions, and he can tell that I'm dying inside when he passes by an important place.

I am thankful for co-op, where we are cooperatively stupid.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 02:13:11 am »

Sometimes you just need to be on something that isn't tiny and stupid like a Phone to create new threads...

Whats too painful???
Where do I go? When do I get a shotgun? How do you shoot a purple hole again? Who's that robot girl? Do you think she's pretty? Why is everything so white? Who was that? What do I do here? The game is broken!

Also the terrible control skill of a first timer. Try watching them do a timing and/or jumping puzzle.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 02:51:34 am »

Whats too painful???
Where do I go? When do I get a shotgun? How do you shoot a purple hole again? Who's that robot girl? Do you think she's pretty? Why is everything so white? Who was that? What do I do here? The game is broken!

Also the terrible control skill of a first timer. Try watching them do a timing and/or jumping puzzle.
Yeah good point...
The way she was holding the mouse was with her Fingertips.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 05:00:00 am »

I've introduced Portal to non-gamers before, it was pretty hilarious, especially the inability to control the character and the camera. Such things are as natural as breathing for us but then you realise that "normal" people who don't play video games are absolute shit even when it comes to the simplest things ^^

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 08:13:18 am »

I played through portal 2 co-op with a friend who really had played very few games in the past. Her controls were some what good really! Problem solving skills not as much, and I didn't want to boss her around, but we made it through.

I think portal is a great game for introducing newbies to gaming. It isn't really all that actiony for the most part, and the puzzles are so unique that solving it tends to level the playing field.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 09:17:39 am »

I tried to get my girlfriend into Portal, and she actually was doing ok controlling her character, but she's got no sense for 3d space. She'd never look up or down (which, in Portal, is not going to help you, at all.)

She also really disliked GLaDOS's voice, to the point that she'd complain about the voice while GLaDOS was speaking, thus ruining all the great one-liners that GLaDOS spits out at you.

She plays a decent game of Plants vs Zombies though.

RaySmuckles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 09:22:22 am »

My girlfriend beats me at TF2, and solves more puzzles in Portal 2 than I do. :(

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 09:28:46 am »

Non-gamer wife has no interest. The only game she's ever become strangely addicted to (other than Peggle), was the PS2 Gauntlet: Dark Legacy. Co-oping with your SO all the way through a game like that is a pretty cool experience.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 09:31:51 am »

Whats too painful???

Yeah good point...
The way she was holding the mouse was with her Fingertips.

They're lucky I don't choke them to death out of frustration.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 10:50:58 am »

So i'm the only one who got into dwarf fortress due to the other half enjoying it? Hmm.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 12:47:45 pm »

My fiancee has admitted to being horrible at any first-person game, especially if it includes jumping. As long as it's not gory or anything, she likes to watch.

It was kind of painful a while back when we played through Super Mario World together. She was content with slowly walking through each level, making zero use of the run button.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 02:58:26 pm »

Mine has RSI so using a mouse for more than ten minutes starts to hurt :( It means that until we get decent interfaces, I can't share my joy of gaming...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: [1] 2