Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Kings of Death - A Necromancy RTD: Under New Management  (Read 40698 times)

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
Re: Kings of Death - A Necromancy RTD: Under New Management
« Reply #165 on: April 08, 2012, 01:22:20 pm »

(It seems that a six is no longer a major success... Ah well, still pretty awesome.)
"Uh... okay then. let's see what this little abomination can do."
Order the mass of flesh to tunnel under the streets towards a mostly deserted alley. Have it dissolve the ground under the first person that passes by who is alone.

antlion12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 08, 2012, 01:31:12 pm »

"just a bunch of drunken idiots causing a ruckus!"(to the scullion)

Tyver looked at the dog then bent down and whispered "take me to this Lightbane you spoke of." 

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 08, 2012, 09:39:13 pm »

(It seems that a six is no longer a major success... Ah well, still pretty awesome.)

Who said it wasn't :3

Also, a note: All companions generated from the shift may or may not have inherent bonuses, based upon the rolls.

If it may: you have to find it out by testing yourself, brave apprentices, if you doubt their abilities.

Hmm, come to think of it, everyone here has potential. Intriguing.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:10:48 pm by Tiruin »

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 08, 2012, 09:53:13 pm »

Your already more efficient then I was, your actually keeping track of things!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 08, 2012, 10:09:52 pm »

empfan, stats on that flying Barracuda? I noticed it wasn't put in.
Also, talking is a free action, right?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 08, 2012, 11:17:32 pm »

I'd go with the talking is a free action as 99% of RTDS are that way.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 09, 2012, 02:20:37 am »

I'd go with the talking is a free action as everything that isn't trying really hard to be really gritty and dark are that way.

"Well," Shalla replied, a bit offput by this reaction. "Really I was just looking for some associates, perhaps a convenient place to stay and work."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 09, 2012, 02:47:06 am »

((As the only thing needed is IronyOwl's reaction before the turn, I'll go with the talking is a free action.))

IronyOwl

"Associates then, for the moment as it is. A humble reply from one with so much power, I sense." the voice answered back. "Now, don't take us wrongly, we are proud to see a new member in our ranks and prouder to welcome such a...well-meaning neophyte. But we sense power in you. Power, that is hardly seen in this world and can be easily controlled by the wrong hands.

"Who do you truly serve, Shalla Halfdark?"

The lighting grows brighter, illuminating the room in it's bluish tinge, revealing about five people facing Shalla all garbed in dark cloaks in the light. Before them is an ornate Oaken table bearing strange engravings on the sides. On the stone walls opposite Shalla are graven images, depicting scenes of encounters with strange beings; many of which are humanoid in shape and linear in texture.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 09, 2012, 03:17:44 am »

Shalla shrugged.

"The one known as Lightbane. What he intends I cannot say, but he had need of apprentices, it seems."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kings of Death - A Necromancy RTD: Turn 15: Telltale Events
« Reply #174 on: April 09, 2012, 10:08:54 am »

Turn 15: Telltale Events

Second Watch; Caelondia

Order the mass of flesh to tunnel under the streets towards a mostly deserted alley. Have it dissolve the ground under the first person that passes by who is alone.

Adil peers down the hole to check on his new creation. It seems like it follows his commands although it has no way of evidently showing it, lacking any expression or vocal chords.

The Dwarf scratches his beard in contemplation. "Uh...okay then. A mass of flesh at my command. Not what I expected but-..."

In response, the entity emits another layer of fetid liquid from it's pores. It doesn't look like it will be running out of it anytime soon and is literally bathing in it. Adil then narrows his brow and decides to act.

"Let's see what this little abomination can do."

With a command, the creature starts edging it's way towards the tunnel wall, slowly moving in at first then lurching on, away from view and leaving an acrid trail of it's own make.

Projecting his knowledge of the streets and it's pathways, Adil hopes to complete his plan in the best method possible. A bloodcurdling scream is heard throughout the night.

Fortunately, using his inborn senses, Adil can make out the tunnel system as far as it leads to, but not to where it ends other than leading back to the surface. The path is traversable by both a creature his size, and his companion as well as being safe to walk upon due to the corrosive safety of the Mass of Flesh.

The Dwarf then feels that the Mass of Flesh has encountered armed resistance.

~~~
Leon grins slightly as he sees the enemy die... and he raises his hand in a claw before him face, as dark energy started to flicker around him. "Now, Ast... ARISE! Be proof of what happens to those that defy me!" He said as he poured the dark energy into the corpse before him!

Leon looks at the corpse of his adversary, grinning slightly as he conjures the best way of 'handling' this mishap. Ast has been a worthy opponent, a man skilled in his art yet with a wide mouth as his downfall.

The man grips his Pike and points it towards the temple of the cadaver, dark energy stemming from Leon as he mumbles the words taught by Lightbane.

"Now, Ast. Arise!" Leon shouted as his eyes diluted with dark energy, blackish tendrils wreathing around his head, snaking down his Pike and into the corpse.

The energy dissipates after a few moments and in unison, Ast rises slowly, getting used to his new, unscathed legs and brings up a hand to feel his face. He casts an emotionless glance at his healer, still towering over Leon. He moves over to grab his battleaxe and takes some time to adjust his armor before turning to the Necromancer.

"Bound to the Code, I be; a mercenary I am no more. My axe is thine to wield and my armor shalt be your shield." Ast spoke. It was a mixture of his old voice, before his recent demise and of a more archaic tone. Something which would strike Leon as strange.

Nonetheless, it looks like Ast was a man of better calibre than the mere corpses, as he still retains memory and speaks coherently.
Spoiler: Ast (click to show/hide)

Suddenly, the ground starts to crack. Sharp tremors coming from the area right under Ast's feet! The Mercenary looks down and bangs the haft of his battleaxe at it. In response, the ground ruptures and a strange putrid liquid bursts forth, into Ast's Armor. Luckily, his armor is resistant enough to not undergo any current effects.

Still, the Mercenary utters a bloodcurling cry of rage at seeing himself attacked this early, leaping back to give way for his attacker to emerge. But nothing comes out from the corroded earth, only a crater covered in the same liquids that covered Ast.

~~~
Check belongings, leave the place and look for the thief.

There was something wrong, Enidri guessed. Checking his bag, he could've sworn that he brought more materials and belongings than before! Remembering the scene earlier, it must have been when he had fallen asleep on his...brother's grave.

He hung up the black apron on the bench, packed up what little he had and left the forge in earnest, leaving a note for Forren as to where he was going, why he left so early, what materials and tools he used and what he made in the forge.

The sound of leather boots and copper mail echoed through the night, on dirt soil and cobblestone road. Soon, Enidri arrived at the Cemetary. Searching the area (and being careful to not desecrate the graves), he finds important materials valuable for smithing, it was even more than what he remembers! Unfortunately, no weapon or trace of the 'thief' could be found.

Leaving the Cemetary, Enidri sees a familiar blue light blinking in the direction of the smithy followed by another brighter light. The young man runs in the opposite direction in hopes of finding the thief, his mind filled with veiled suspicion as to what his 'Wisp' may have brought his way. He is quickly answered by a familiar tone.

"Boy! Wait up, boy! Hold your horses!" cried the Smith as he tried to catch up. "Whats going on with this note!"

Enidri stops in his tracks and faces the Smith. A short interchange of words begins as the Smith tries to understand the situation.

"Thief? Well, nothing good to do with that type of folk. Useless to try to track them at this hour. Most are armed, ye know.

"However. As I expected and more, ye kept my Smithy in top shape! Due to this, I have a deal for you, if you're willing to accept: now, as the hour is still early and I am still hale to forgo an early rest, why not say we both work together on your 'plan'. The one you said in your note?"
the Smith holds up the sheet of paper.

"Stranger. I don't do these things for free and I need to work for food on the table. But you've scrounged up some good materials there, I see. Not from my Forge so I won't bother asking. I will help you in your plan if you trade that for my aid. I could teach you a few tricks up my sleeve but no promises. Or you could do something else, though I doubt you'd find another Smithy in town.

"Whether you take it or not, thank yer Wisp for showing me the way, would you?"

The wisp bobs in between both men, just above Enidri's forehead.

Along the Harbor of Gin
Have my summons scour the coastline for any boats going North; stand watch at the city's northern gate in case whoever wrote this note decided to travel by foot.
When either of us find what we seek, call for my barracuda and follow the D. by air.

Ima paced around near the pier in a place where she wouldn't be easily seen. The occasional creaking of the ships and the crashing of the waves against the artificial harbor provided good ambience to her thoughts. She looked at the waves that hid her aquatic companions, moonlight breaking on it's waves. Perhaps she could double the effort by utilizing the fish to scour the waters?

She knelt by the shoreline and spoke in her own words to her companions, with the bat hanging on one of the nearby mooring lines of a derelict vessel. The fish respond in unison; diving beneath the waves, their skeletal bodies making no sound nor would they be easily detected due to their lithe and scale-less forms. Ima herself turned about and began walking nonchalantly towards where the Northern gate was, walking with grace and elegance befit of her race so as not to attract any unworthy attention. She kept her Cutlass at the ready anyway, as there was no telling what lurked in the shadows. She could've sworn she heard some movement in the alleys she passed or even footsteps echoing in the metallic underground beneath her but nothing decided to attack the Elf. Her bat flew inconspicuously overhead, swooping and diving at the occasional insect.

The northern gate was quite like much of the other gates -a pallisade fortified with a portcullis, backed by a mixture of rock and gravel. There was a large shed nearby that housed the poor and that is where Ima decided to stay. She would blend in perfectly, in case anyone was on the lookout for suspicious people.

Hours pass and the moon travels it's steady course through the sky. Nobody else disturbs Ima, as most of the other people are either sleeping or minding their own business, not wanting to attract the Guards stationed nearby. In all honesty, Ima was lucky no slaver was in disguise in the area, as was their usual pattern for even the downtrodden could be swayed to a cause more vile than those who trod upon them.

Suddenly, Ima hears the song of her fish in the water and judging by their sonorous tune, it seems they found their mark. Precise and exact. She stands up and excuses herself from a light conversation with the nearest man, a slave.

Jogging back towards the pier, she attracts no attention even from the dock guards who vigilantly stand by at their posts in the harbor. Leaping into the water, Ima forgets in her haste that the temperature and the darkness both add to the danger of a misjump, for she hits her arm against a small rock outcropping before swimming slowly over to her Barracuda (-10 hp). She then hits herself for realizing that her Barracuda could fly, but strangely unable walk on land.

The breeze lifted up Ima's spirits as she felt the fish float into the air, propelled partly by the magic that imbued it's fins. A few leagues out at sea and following the song of the fish as they followed the trail in the water, Ima and her companions find exactly what they are looking for. Looking upwards, the Northern Star shone brightly overhead while below Ima was about two or three rowboats complete with oars. Leftover canvas covers most of the boats. There were about two torches set into the sand and foot marks trailing inland could be faintly seen in the moonlight.

She had arrived. But where were the people?

In the dark places of Blackmarsh

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Forgive me, Knight. I am a friend and one in need of your blade." Zakroff says, kneeling at the fore of it's blade. The heat could be felt from his position, three feet away from where he stood. If he had to risk his skin, it would be now.

The rogue kept his face down as he spoke. "Your work is not yet quite done in this world, sire. Once again, as I speak, you must walk these lands. Aid me sire, but remember your creed: a knight shan't rest until his duty is finished-"

"Spare the pleasantries knave! You know not my duty nor the obstacles I yet face!" the knight replied, edging closer with his blade pointed at Zakroff's forehead.

Zakroff felt the heat, growing stronger with every footfall. He closed his eyes and decided to cut to the point. "Good knight, I will free you of this world if that is what you wish. I can even bind you here if that is also your wish yet all I ask is for your help. Is not a knight's oath to protect those in need? A guardian of the realm, denying his own people? I only seek to destroy those who wield power and use it to harm others. I wish to wage a war against strife in this world, and unite it as one. But I am alone. For this, I seek your help and I put myself at your mercy and blade."

The knight stopped midway, the tip of the blade but inches from Zakroff's face. "I...how long hath I slumbered? Rise and give me your name!"

"Zakroff sire. Zakroff Alzar." he replied, opening his eyes and ignoring the sweat that fell from his hair. He could still feel where he was hit by the pommel and did not choose to act, thereby increasing that pain.

"Zakroff Alzar. A Rogue, a petty thief. If it were not for mine oath, you shalt be purged of guilt and sin. Yet I sense honesty in thine word. Thou art the one who hath summoned me from mine rest, I shalt make use of that time."

Zakroff waited for a few seconds before rising, sure that the knight was giving him time. "I ask you, will you pledge to me your blade?"

The knight sheathed it's blade. "I shalt." it said solemnly.

~~
"just a bunch of drunken idiots causing a ruckus!"(to the scullion)

Tyver looked at the dog then bent down and whispered "take me to this Lightbane you spoke of." 
The footsteps came nearer, Tyler had to do something before this would get out of hand. He did not want to kill another person this week!

"Just a bunch of drunken idiots down here! A ruckus, they cause!"

Moments pass and silence is all that could be heard other than the breathing of two individuals. "But...we don't sell any alcohol at this time."

The man appeared from the stairwell and stares at the rogue. "So what are you hiding there, Tyver? I let you stay in this place with no word to the authorities. You have quite the bounty on your head from all that 'ruckus' you caused earlier."

Before Tyver has a chance to reply, a voice came from behind him that sounded low and gruff.

"E' was talking to me! Scuff off, maid! We're busy having an Eenteligen' conversation back here!"

The scullion casts Tyver a narrow-eyed glare and accompanies it with a gesture while going back upstairs. "Stupid thieves...think they own the place..." Tyler heard him mumble.

The rogue turned around to face whoever spoke, but there was nothing there other than the dog, who had now cloaked itself.

"So you can speak! Hey, I've got an idea. Take me to this Lightbane you spoke of and-

"I can try," the dog-thing interrupted in the same gruff voice, "but I don't think I can find him unless he calls on us. You'll know when he does, don't worry. And... you've got company." It nudges Tyler's leg and the rogue turns around to see the scullion coming down the stairs. The tavern owner already at the bottom, staring at the man and holding up an iron rod with a groggy expression.

"Tyver. Get yer and yer friends drunken arses out before I have to tell yer again. Ye don't hold meetings in mah pub, gotit? If you want to get anywhere, there are a million things to go for in this cheap sodding town. Don't push yer luck."

"Oh, and you can use magic too like I said earlier. Remember that?" The dog whispers through concealed coughing.

~~
. . .
"The one known as Lightbane. What he intends I cannot say, but he had need of apprentices, it seems."
Silence resumes it's rightful place in the main hall. No sign of movement could be detected from Shalla's position. Was this a trap, a trick or a test?

Soon enough, a click is heard behind her. A cloaked man barges through the door.

"Shalla, are you ok-" The necromancer apprentice takes in the situation before deciding his words, he slowly backs away and closes the door. "Ah, forgiveness for my intrusion."

The middlemost person of the five removes her hood as soon as the apprentice is out, revealing a young face. "Welcome Shalla Halfdark! I see you have met some of our wayward apprentices! You will prove to be a most valuable member of our guild!" the woman says, dropping any semblance of seriousness in her voice and adopting a cheery tone.

The man directly to her left removes his own hood, revealing an aged face with white hair at the sides, inclined in the woman's direction. "Are you daft, Eri? Can you not see I am questioning the neophyte!" His voice was much like the one Shalla heard earlier, but now in a more natural vibe.

"Questioning is over, Speaker. Our scryer has determined her words to be true, however simple they may sound to you. You are the servant of Lightbane. We are those who follow the outer path and-"

"What my dear associate would love to say; is that we are the only people in this blasted city who dare follow magic openly. We are recognized by the reigning Lord of the land. Our Guild is most supreme above all the other practicing guilds here. No other guild can match our power!" he said with a smirk.

The one called Eri smiled back at him with a nod, silencing him. "Rufus, that is enough. While you were being...interrogated, if I may use your words, Ria sent word to prepare your quarters should you need it. That's the gate guard's name by the way. But first, enough with this seriousness, you did interrupt our meeting Shalla and we'd not like you to do so in the future." With those words spoken, the bluish lighting of the room faded away into darkness.

(-20hp) "Argh!"

"Ahh. It seems, I had forgotten to remove our warding glyphs. Apologies, neophyte."

Seconds later, the room is filled with natural sunlight spewing from the windows. 'This room must be heavily enchanted.' Shalla mused to herself, rubbing her ache away. The other three in front of her began moving out of the room without saying a word or looking at the newcomer. It doesn't look like they were pleased. Following them, is the Guild Speaker, Rufus and lastly Eri who lags back for but a few steps.

The woman clasps her hand on Shalla's shoulder with a stern expression. "Watch yourself, Shalla. You've made quite some enemies today, mostly for your performance, but as long as I breathe I shall not see a follower of Lightbane brought to her knees. Especially one who wields a staff of that caliber.

"Here's a deal. I can give an order to our smiths to rework that staff in your favor but the results may vary. Something of that power can be very dangerous to it's wielder, and I'd not like to see you die that easy, eh?

"And I forget, we have a librarium, a scriptorium, an apothecary...Anything you could imagine -short of a torture chamber, that is. Feel free to explore the Guild. It's getting late though."

Spoiler: HmH ; Ima Erifithili (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Talarion ; Leon Jyos (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: adwarf ; Zakroff Alzar (click to show/hide)

Comments, suggestions and criticisms are appreciated.

If any modifiers are missing from your character sheet, please say so.

Also, with all the noise most of you are making at night in town, people would surely suspect right? The dice say otherwise.

empfan: Please update the title to say that we have ONE extra player slot. And maybe add some lore about the areas players have visited, if possible.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:31:13 pm by Tiruin »

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 09, 2012, 10:44:56 am »

@Sinpwn, Talarion: Tekeli-li!

People are on the other end of the trail, obviously. Pick up a torch and follow the footprints, with my bat scouting ahead. When the bat sees anyone, put the torch aside and sneak closer to get a look at them.

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 09, 2012, 11:21:10 am »

Head to the location of the Mass of Flesh. If guards, bandits or mercenaries, are attacking it, give the mass of flesh better control over its own form, allowing it to grab its attacker(s) and pull it in. If it is a fellow necromancer, attempt to diffuse the situation peacefully.

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 09, 2012, 12:03:00 pm »

empfan, stats on that flying Barracuda? I noticed it wasn't put in.
Also, talking is a free action, right?

You assumed I made stats?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 09, 2012, 12:28:59 pm »

Verace:

"I would be willing to part with these materials in exchange for assistance - if I was able to find more of them in the process of dealing with the task at hand, seeing as it would not fare me well if I was left with nothing of quality to work with. As for the 'tricks', I am interested in them, for I shall not let the name of the Verace familly of smiths perish while I still draw breath. I accept your deal under these terms."

Accept the deal under aforementioned terms.

((Is the smith showing his true colors? He seems quite eager to jump on my valuable materials in exchange for assistance of dubious quality.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

antlion12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 09, 2012, 02:27:56 pm »

Go to the graveyard
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13