Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why is my FPS slowly dying?  (Read 1959 times)

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why is my FPS slowly dying?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 09:42:00 am »

My guess is that FPS just gets reduced from all those items from years of overproduction. One machine I still use is Pentium 4 from 2003, and it can handle around 50 dwarves, but FPS drops over time.

A fort that is unplayable on my Pentium 4, and has twenty something FPS on my Core 2 Duo, runs at capped 100 FPS on i7 2600. I tried overclocking, but 20-50% speedup only takes you so far, and is pretty meaningless at 20 FPS anyway.

So yeah, get an i7 2700K and you'll be good to go.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 02:24:45 pm »

I've noticed forts slow down somewhat inexplicably  over time (without significant or proportional increases in pathers, and with created items roughly equaling destroyed / exported items.) I suppose it could be because the game tracks things like dead animals and invaders even if they don't exist (destroyed by lava.) It's possible it also keeps track of things like exported items too. I don't really know to what extent it tracks or whether tracking those things is really a big deal, but I have noticed FPS decline.

Also, it seems mining hurts FPS because of the extra pathing options it creates. Blocking off unused tunnels helps but doesn't completely undo the damage. This is a bit of a problem for me bc it makes me want to DFreveal instead of exploratory mining. I feel like I have a choice between FPS death or cheating -- neither are in the spirit of the game.

Atom smashing has never had impressive results for me.
DFhack's cleanmap has had small results  ( < 5) and setting up baths is time consuming and hurts FPS until they dry off without very noticeable results.
Large ambushes and sieges can chop off as much as 15-20 fps for the duration (which isn't bad, IMO, because it helps slow things down so I can react better.)
Burrows hurts alot bc of job cancellations spam, but I use them anyways when I expect danger (sieges, FB's with dust)

With my specs I play with 3x3  or 2x2 embarks and always cap my population at 80. I've had better results with 60 but I find I'm always wishing I had a few more haulers and a few more recruits.
(I set the population requirement for seiges = to population cap. And FB population requirement to 0. -- Yet another reason to get a military ASAP)
I avoid messing with fluids like the plague and always fill fluid gaps with DFhack (no 6/7s running around) this makes Magma forges more tedious then they need to be...
I try to minimize z levels as much as possible: I cut out 1 cavern layer and reduce 'z levels between layers' I've got some nice small maps this way (who really needs 100 z levels underground anyways seems most people just tunnel through most of them.) I'm tempted to cut out HFS too since anytime I breach it it seems like instant FPS death anyways.
I suppose the next step would be to turn grasses and grass eating animals back to how they were before the last few updates (Pet elephants again!) But I don't know how to 'fix' grasses and removing the eating tags from every animal sounds too tedious.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 02:55:03 pm »

DF Masterwork mod has some settings to increase FPS, as well as a GUI to choose them.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 04:39:17 pm »

sorry to go off topic. but if you have a Q6600 g0 stepping you can run that thing @ 3ghz without any problems at all ... unless your motherboard is made from fecies.
It's a Dell, so overclocking isn't really an option.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: 1 [2]