Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: This game is fat.  (Read 6374 times)

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
This game is fat.
« on: February 09, 2012, 07:13:43 pm »

I just had to say it, this game is fat. As in, if dwarf fortress were a person his ass would be so huge it would dominate any room. Plus the guy it belongs to has a tenancy to park himself wherever is least convenient for the rest of the household and be completely oblivious to everyone trying to get around him.
DF in my kitchen:
Me: "Hey DF wanna, like get out of the way so I can make some bagel bites?"
DF: "Sure dude." (does nothing)
Me: "You're not moving."
DF: "Whatever man, you invited me in here so you gotta run at my speed." (scratches ass, continues to do nothing)
Me: "BLUH!" (DFhack: die)
Letting it run in the background is fine, but getting there requires you to maneuver you way around an ass that is registered as a mid-sized sedan in five states and is parked in your bathroom.
If I want to look up something on the Wiki I reduce the DF screen, go downstairs, make a drink, go upstairs, fire up Netflix on my 360, watch half an episode of Top Gear, then look over to realize DF has been crashed to Desktop for 20 minutes. My screen has gone white as my computer is shocked by the sheer amount of surplus power it has gained with DF's demise. Reliability, speed, we have none in the DF zone. Yes, I know it is a game that is in perpetual Alpha test phase meaning there is no optimization or final de-bugging planned in the future but that wouldn't be funny. Would it?
Thoughts of CaptainBadwheel on the 9th of February, in the year of our lord 2012

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: This game is fat.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 07:22:42 pm »

As in, if dwarf fortress were a person his ass would be so huge it would dominate any room.

Best compliment ever.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 07:23:09 pm »

Uh. How am I supposed to respond to this? Anger? Remorse? Confusion? Joy? Dull Surprise?
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 07:24:52 pm »

Uh. How am I supposed to respond to this? Anger? Remorse? Confusion? Joy? Dull Surprise?

All of the above?

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 07:25:46 pm »

Dull Surprise.  It's always Dull Surprise.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 07:28:09 pm »

I agree wholeheartedly.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 07:33:41 pm »

Methinks, you need a new pc. My latop is a few years old, and not that awesome, but I do not suffer the same problems...

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 07:41:25 pm »

You could just run it in a window rather than full-screen.
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 07:44:10 pm »

welcome to dwarf fortress? i mean thats about the best descpription of it i have ever heard.

but you need to widen your hallways (better processor) buy some diet food (simplifying mod like masterwork DF or Reph's intensifying thing.)

overall, yeah DF is in alpha, likely will be for a while. but toady estimates version 1 at around his 50th or so birthday....
so grab a soda, sit your ass down and build a fortress... again, and again, and again, and again...

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 08:26:20 pm »

Get a new PC.  I can run DF at 800+ FPS (for a new fort) and still open up another game and play it as I'm waiting for a set of tasks to finish in DF.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 09:02:51 pm »

Nooooope, fat. This is the internet, never admit any blame always blame someone else. Or something else. Fat. I may be trying to run this game on a glorified silicone Triscuit (low sodium!). But I'll be damned before I, or my shitty computer, takes the blame for how well (or not well) it runs this admittedly addictive game which is amazing in its simple complexity or complex simplicity. Still fat, getting fatter. Its obesity might be relative only to the size of my processor/Triscuit. Fat! Huuuge! Or the fact that its 8 years old. Nope its the game! The fat game! Dwarf Fatress!
Thoughts of CaptainBadwheel supplemental, Fat!

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 09:13:49 pm »

Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 09:42:59 pm »

buy a second screen, problem solved.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 10:04:49 pm »

Kill every CPU core but one. Problem solved. Give DF 2 or 4 fridges and he'll not know what to do but blather on about "sooooo much foooood" /drool

Daveorock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 10:05:30 pm »

Well, I'm back. The OP's comp in here is sending a distress signal.
(df,) You broke it, didn't you.
*fixes comp*
There. Try it now.

Hmm. This comp must not be calibrated to someone of your... generous... ness. I'll add a few zeros to the maximum priority.
You look great, by the way, very healthy.
Try it now.

You seem to have defeated it's processing capacity. Well done. I'll just lower the ceiling.
Twenty seconds after the collapse, 14 dwarves hit the ground simultaneously.
EDIT: make that 15. Not sure what took that last one so long.
Urist McLemming cancels Fall: Dangerous Terrain
Pages: [1] 2