Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Big forts kill the fun  (Read 22184 times)

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
Re: Big forts kill the fun
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2012, 03:03:29 am »

test traps, feed vampires, make them all engravers and engrave everything so that more dwarves may come so that engraving is faster for more dwarves to come so that engraving is even faster etc etc.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2012, 03:07:14 am »

test traps, feed vampires, make them all engravers and engrave everything so that more dwarves may come so that engraving is faster for more dwarves to come so that engraving is even faster etc etc.

hmm... well a thought just occured to me.

if one dwarf roughly equates to 2-3 for hauling purposes... i may actually use dedicated haulers.

normally when my fort passes the 80 mark i just give migrants a job or put em in the military, if they don't have any skills and i dont need any military dwarfs, they get every profession where skill level does not effect quality assigned to them.
do you know how nice it is to order 3 sets of 30 of something and seeing the completion message pop up in seconds?

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2012, 03:10:14 am »

meh, I just made 120 dwarves make a glass dome, was done in 30 mins.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2012, 03:17:36 am »

ah yes... speaking of which i wish it were possible to designate some masons/other workers as builders and some as workshop workers, while allowing them to do both by default.
would really help for most types of projects.

humblegar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2012, 05:05:59 am »

I have just started and my forts population is currently at 199 without much of a FPS loss (but then this computer is more powerfull the most mainframes). Im going to see how large a fort I can build.

By the way, EVERYONE has a private bed room. Not big, but their own individual room.

I like larger forts. Granted... I only have 10 military dwarfs, those 10 crossbow guys have killed many Ettins now.

To make more interesting things happen I have decided to dig to deep and to greedily.

*Edit*

Based on the rough calculations I just did each dwarf takes about 5 megs of ram to simulate (maybe more or less depending). With that information I can extrapolate how many dwarfs my computer can run.

6144/5 = 1228 :)

In theory I can run a fortress with 1228 dwarfs before my system runs out of ram. This is not taking into account any other running programs. I think I might be able to get between 600 to 800 dwarfs in one city.

Yeh, but other programs take up ram, calculations concerning the wildlife ext. Also, that is until yout computer literally blows up. You fbs will be .0'1 at 300 dwarfs, esaly, and everything will literally take an infinate amout of time. With that said, go for it!

I have had 300+ forts with 25 fps, then a huge siege hit and I never got the FPS back "up" (v31.25 I think). 25 is still very slow of course and any mass dumps or similar will freeze the game at 1 FPS for a while until all your 100+ idle dwarves have figured out how to get there.

FPS is maintainable if your fort has decent pathing, small emptyish refuse piles, little or no miasma, and no strip mining. Everything that is rotten is smashed or burned, everything that can be sold or given away dumped on caravans.

And to OP this means that more dwarves can actually lead to better and more structured/cleaner forts, since they can mass dump after a siege (or build the required infrastructure to do it with magma).

BastiBasti

• Bay Watcher
  • ‼SCIENCE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2012, 05:53:46 am »

I have just started and my forts population is currently at 199 without much of a FPS loss (but then this computer is more powerfull the most mainframes). Im going to see how large a fort I can build.

By the way, EVERYONE has a private bed room. Not big, but their own individual room.

I like larger forts. Granted... I only have 10 military dwarfs, those 10 crossbow guys have killed many Ettins now.

To make more interesting things happen I have decided to dig to deep and to greedily.

*Edit*

Based on the rough calculations I just did each dwarf takes about 5 megs of ram to simulate (maybe more or less depending). With that information I can extrapolate how many dwarfs my computer can run.

In theory I can run a fortress with 1228 dwarfs before my system runs out of ram. This is not taking into account any other running programs. I think I might be able to get between 600 to 800 dwarfs in one city.

Yeh, but other programs take up ram, calculations concerning the wildlife ext. Also, that is until yout computer literally blows up. You fbs will be .0'1 at 300 dwarfs, esaly, and everything will literally take an infinate amout of time. With that said, go for it!

*Edit*

I have had 300+ forts with 25 fps, then a huge siege hit and I never got the FPS back "up" (v31.25 I think). 25 is still very slow of course and any mass dumps or similar will freeze the game at 1 FPS for a while until all your 100+ idle dwarves have figured out how to get there.

FPS is maintainable if your fort has decent pathing, small emptyish refuse piles, little or no miasma, and no strip mining. Everything that is rotten is smashed or burned, everything that can be sold or given away dumped on caravans.

And to OP this means that more dwarves can actually lead to better and more structured/cleaner forts, since they can mass dump after a siege (or build the required infrastructure to do it with magma).
Really? 25 fbs for 300 dwarfs is pretty good, from what I. my highest dwarf pop is 160 somthing, and i maintained around 150 fbs. Is that good?

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2012, 10:13:32 am »

ah yes... speaking of which i wish it were possible to designate some masons/other workers as builders and some as workshop workers, while allowing them to do both by default.
would really help for most types of projects.

I'd suggest making your workshops require a minimum skill.  It's about the closest you can get, because the alternative is turning off the permission for dwarves you don't want working at every possible workshop.  A specific yes/no thing on a dwarf for whether he can do workshop work or not would be useful.

Masonry workshops with a max skill set to full block production on repeat so that masonry jobs through the management screen can't be assigned there.

For those interested in the breakdown so far:

Small      Large
lllll      lllll
lllll      lllll
llll         lllll
      llll

That's based pretty much of off stated numbers with 100 or less being a small fort.  I didn't go through and weed out duplicates, but I don't know if it's too much of a problem.  I started keeping count when somebody mentioned that large forts were a minority.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2012, 03:43:37 pm »

well skill setting only cause the unskilled dwarfs to not make crafts/furniture, you can't keep your highly skilled dwarfs from building walls/floors.

muzzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2012, 03:56:41 pm »

I'm currently running my first semi-successful fort, so my opinions are far from set in stone. But I liked it when it was small, and I still like it now that it's large. Except for some small FPS issues, but those are largely my own fault. And at least I learned that "More, more, MORE!" is not a feasible strategy in the long run. Anyway, what I liked most was how the game kept changing as my fort grew. I suppose some of that is just because I'm new at this. But for now, color me impressed.

And on the subject of anonymity: I almost killed 2/3 of my dwarfs and most pets at one point. Such a sacrifice would surely appease the FPS god, I thought. But I ended up choosing to spend years getting rid of all the excess items instead. Just because I realized that any ensuing tantrums might harm my favorite one-legged marksdwarf* and his one-lunged wardog.

*) Despite a year of training followed by two years of back to back sieges, he and his buddies still hadn't figured out what their crossbows were for. This culminated in their decision to let a goblin axelord fly in for some clubbing practice. Many limbs were lost, including his leg. But when he came out of the hospital, it was like he was a different dwarf altogether. Despite most axedwarves having a head start, he went on to be the first soldier to earn his title. And reach legendary level, albeit in crutchwalking.

---

I haven't used burrows much, but aren't they supposed to let restrict dwarfs to workshop areas?

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2012, 06:10:11 pm »

Yeah it did.

Does that mean I can't question the intent?

Just seems silly to rehash the same convo (big fort vs. Little fort) by starting off asking for your pefs to be challenged. Or are we immune to a lack of civility?

Oh the irony
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2012, 07:25:12 pm »

I still think the bigger fort is more fun. It also leads to more possibilities and more interesting ways for "fun".

Also, I dont mind the lack of knowing single dwarfs, usualy I know a few because they are in the army (three cheers for my 10 marksdwarfs of doom, some are missing arms) and I know of one guy because he lost his leg to a python attack when he was a child (his mom ran of an left him). He walks around with a crutch and I call him Timmy. I also know the doctors rather well since I built a 60 bed hospital and it has a dedicated staff of doctors (next migrant wave it gets dedicated nurses).

I like how my dwarfs have to earn my attention by doing something or having something interesting happen to them and they dont get it by default because they exist.

So far my butcher is retarded and lets things rot in the butcher shop... so much for legendary status.

Large forts have thier own enjoyment.

Also, with how people on this forum seem to throw away the lives of thier dwarfs to such an extent that they do (testing traps, throwing into volcanos and such) I would have expected the anonymity to be a bonus since you dont grow attached to what your killing (except in a noted case with a legendary miner and no fresh water) and hence would enjoy it more.

Unless many of you are truly sadistic people who enjoy torturing helpless (but seriously retarded) dwarfs.

I think sadistic is a fair bet.

Also, size makes micromanagement less nessesary. At 200 dwarfs I know I have at least one dwarf that can do what I need done which is nice. I have 6 masons just pouring out masterwork blocks using all the extra stone I have and still have plenty of masons left to make furnature and other things.

Off to build a new barracks for an additional 40 troops. :)

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2012, 08:58:17 pm »

well skill setting only cause the unskilled dwarfs to not make crafts/furniture, you can't keep your highly skilled dwarfs from building walls/floors.

You can if you put your highly skilled dwarves into burrows that have their workshops, their bedroom, the dining hall and the food stockpiles in them, but not the area you want to build walls in. a bit of a hassle to set up, but keeps the legendary mason away from the goblin sieges  ;D

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2012, 09:37:17 pm »

below 80 dwarves means no sieges doesn't it? below 140 means you can never achieve the mountainhome status.

Both are key factors making the game worth playing imo, but i can undertstand the simulation and megaproject types limiting their dwarf numbers.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2012, 10:17:38 pm »

the below 70 thing actually applies only to vanilla DF players for the most part.

most people after getting bored stomping on goblins downloaded FD or some other hostile race adding mod... usually these mods have enemies which siege at less than 40 sometimes.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2012, 11:07:19 pm »

Pretty sure I've gotten sieges with less than 80 dwarves.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8