Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Big forts kill the fun  (Read 22190 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Big forts kill the fun
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2012, 10:40:13 pm »

My storyline (One I'm doing for a personal bit of entertainment) fortress Tinhammers has a population of a little over 220 and fuckloads of livestock. FPS isn't great, but not horrible. I can get trading done frighteningly quick thanks to my army of haulers and I have dwarves to cover whatever I need done.

I wont lie, I did assign a few to a "drawbridge testing crew" just to be rid of them. Interesting fact: Can't atom smash mega/semi-mega beasts while they're alive, but you can when they're dead. And I feel I must also share this: I display captured goblins on petrified wood pillars, lovingly assembled by my army of drunken little idle psychos.

And when you people say more dorfs = more fun, I agree. And has anyone else ever taken a huge group of new migrants and bum rushed them at a squad of marksgobs just to see how many would live to engage?

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2012, 10:31:56 am »

Also, from what I gather is that big forts turn out to be boring because at a certain point you've made sure all entrances are covered,
You can always make more entrances

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2012, 10:36:29 am »

I find forts with a population over 200 to be the most fun.   :D  Just a tad hard on FPS though.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2012, 10:38:05 am »

Also, from what I gather is that big forts turn out to be boring because at a certain point you've made sure all entrances are covered,
You can always make more entrances
'oh wait, stuff needs a pillar to stay up, right?'
'MINER! DONT DIG THAT PIL-'
*A section of the cavern has collapsed!*
*Urist Mcrandom has been crushed under the collapsing ceiling! x100*
*Urist McRandom has died after colliding with and obstacle! x100*
*Urist McLastsurvivor has succumbed to infection!*

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2012, 11:34:03 am »

-snip-

Try an above ground fort with the quarry rampway design. Everywhere is now an entrance.

LittleJP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2012, 12:42:55 pm »

If I ever hit more than 300 dwarves, I'll start building a tower of babel with fortifications everywhere, along with smoothing the land making way for my artillery batteries.
In case it wasn't obvious, I do know that dividing by zero is a mathematical impossibility. I do not know, however, how this dwarven calculator would react if anyone attempted the impossible. Please, someone try! xD
If you look back in the thread, some people did try, and they got 8008135, which is significant only in that the digits resemble the letter in "BOOBIES".
And so dwarf fortress solves yet another of lifes great mysteries.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2012, 01:49:04 pm »

Really, what there needs to be is simply a choice to turn immigration on or off in game, AND TO TURN EMIGRATION on/off

It makes little to no sense that this wouldn't be the case in terms of the actual roleplaying storyline.  I mean for goodness sake, the mountainhomes are already sending me a liaison every year.  Why can we not just chat about immigration and emigration at the same time?

Should it require a customs noble to allow you control over it?  Sure.  Should you only be able to move entire family units as groups? Sure. Should really good friends get an unhappy thought when their companions emigrate away without them?  Sure.

But not having control over this is dumb and nonsensical and is a major bone of contention with probably 50% of players...

Edit: Oh also, you probably shouldn't be able to pick exactly which dwarves emmigrate, either.  You just issue X many visas, so to speak, and some algorithm picks them, to make it not too overpowered.  Unhappy dwarves should probably be weighted higher, but you could also lose your leg. armorer, too.  You never know!  Honestly, it should be able the same mix as skills coming inbound (mostly useless folks, but a few really nice ones)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 02:02:24 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2012, 02:26:15 pm »

Usually have around 160 dwarves simply because I'd go insane waiting for hauling jobs to finish especially cleaning up goblinite after a siege or two. When I start getting sieges or 70 or so gobbos it becomes harder to clean them up than it is to kill them which is bloody ridiculous. Hopefully this next update will fix it though and I can settle at 100 or so and save my FPS
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2012, 03:42:58 pm »

I have just started and my forts population is currently at 199 without much of a FPS loss (but then this computer is more powerfull the most mainframes). Im going to see how large a fort I can build.

By the way, EVERYONE has a private bed room. Not big, but their own individual room.

I like larger forts. Granted... I only have 10 military dwarfs, those 10 crossbow guys have killed many Ettins now.

To make more interesting things happen I have decided to dig to deep and to greedily.

*Edit*

Based on the rough calculations I just did each dwarf takes about 5 megs of ram to simulate (maybe more or less depending). With that information I can extrapolate how many dwarfs my computer can run.

6144/5 = 1228 :)

In theory I can run a fortress with 1228 dwarfs before my system runs out of ram. This is not taking into account any other running programs. I think I might be able to get between 600 to 800 dwarfs in one city.

Who votes I go for it? :)

By the way, I just started playing this past weekend and this is my 4th fort counting the tutorial.

Also, I have no framerate issues yet.

I also have absurd amounts of food.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 03:50:38 pm by GenJeFT »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2012, 03:51:53 pm »

I like my forts to have 30-80 dwarves. When I am hitting more than 80, more than half of them are useless haulers that become mayors and piss me off with mandates.

Honestly 40 dwarves is more than enough.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2012, 03:55:17 pm »

I enjoy the challenge of figuring out WTElf is going on. Admittedly, I tend to do a lot of smoothing because I'm totally at a loss to figure out what to do with the endless stream of useless soap makers and hunters who refuse to hunt.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

BastiBasti

• Bay Watcher
  • ‼SCIENCE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2012, 03:57:24 pm »

I have just started and my forts population is currently at 199 without much of a FPS loss (but then this computer is more powerfull the most mainframes). Im going to see how large a fort I can build.

By the way, EVERYONE has a private bed room. Not big, but their own individual room.

I like larger forts. Granted... I only have 10 military dwarfs, those 10 crossbow guys have killed many Ettins now.

To make more interesting things happen I have decided to dig to deep and to greedily.

*Edit*

Based on the rough calculations I just did each dwarf takes about 5 megs of ram to simulate (maybe more or less depending). With that information I can extrapolate how many dwarfs my computer can run.

6144/5 = 1228 :)

In theory I can run a fortress with 1228 dwarfs before my system runs out of ram. This is not taking into account any other running programs. I think I might be able to get between 600 to 800 dwarfs in one city.

Yeh, but other programs take up ram, calculations concerning the wildlife ext. Also, that is until yout computer literally blows up. You fbs will be .0'1 at 300 dwarfs, esaly, and everything will literally take an infinate amout of time. With that said, go for it!

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2012, 04:16:18 pm »

Yeh, but other programs take up ram, calculations concerning the wildlife ext. Also, that is until yout computer literally blows up. You fbs will be .0'1 at 300 dwarfs, esaly, and everything will literally take an infinate amout of time. With that said, go for it!

What exactly is fbs anyway? I know of FPS but I dont know fbs.

*edit*

My mayor/baron just went berserk.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 04:21:43 pm by GenJeFT »

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2012, 04:32:30 pm »

Usually have around 160 dwarves simply because I'd go insane waiting for hauling jobs to finish especially cleaning up goblinite after a siege or two. When I start getting sieges or 70 or so gobbos it becomes harder to clean them up than it is to kill them which is bloody ridiculous. Hopefully this next update will fix it though and I can settle at 100 or so and save my FPS

please go read the last few posts here and squeal in delight.

seriously i cannot wait for the hauling release, finally i can stop fucking using DFhack's autodump.

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2012, 06:28:43 pm »

My fort seems to be stuck at 199 people. How do I fix this or is there a population limit built into the game?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8