Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Big forts kill the fun  (Read 22188 times)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Big forts kill the fun
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2012, 07:40:16 pm »

Wow, I'm surprised to see that the people who like massive forts actually seem to be the minority.

as was I.

it always seemed to me that having a large military, and a huge number of dwarfs in every proffesion beefs up your economy quite well, the dwarfs i know best are usually the ones who are injured funnily enough, as they are always in the hospital so i check on them often (speaking of which i have a guy with severe rot everywhere...) and IMO more dwarf=more fun.

however further controls on pop counts in the init file wouldn't go unnoticed by those who like small forts. dwarf fortress is a game that caters to everyone but those who like the vile, insidious, corrupt, negative, unholy, word.... easy

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2012, 08:52:43 pm »

Well thats werid,evryone likes small forts hmmm.
I dont realy do quality in my forts they look like sweat shops a few miners farmers woodcutters docs and then evryone else has all the workshop jobs and hauling jobs and masonry and carpentry.
I call them crafters not minions.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2012, 09:09:05 pm »

For raw populations, I love 200 dwarves. HOWEVER, migrants up to the 200 mark is too much chaos and fort-plan ruining for me. No wonder nobles are evil - they pop up when you only have beds for like 20 dwarves and are still struggling to get even mediocre beds for the rest.

Hence why my current fort is migrant-capped at 50, but with basically unlimited children.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2012, 05:20:59 am »

Well, a way to mitigate a lot of this stuff is to set pop cap low, then gradually increase it as things are progressing. For example I don't want to get to 50 Dwarves until I can house nobles comfortably. I don't want to get to 80 before I have semi-decent military.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2012, 06:22:10 am »

I think people try and streamline everything too much. Bollocks to that - my forts are a twisting maze of insanity and chaos.

Beds next to a workshop?
Lots of Burrows?

Hahahahaha
jmq - leave it to run - solves all my problems with building and alterations, etc, where necessary.

Planning?
BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 06:23:56 am by MasterMorality »

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2012, 09:15:49 am »

30 worker dwraves can easilly cater to the whims of 170 military dwarves. Just keep asigning new arrivals to your danger room and watch as you tuen away even the mightiest sieges with a head on charge.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2012, 09:50:03 am »

I can relax at around 125. Then I seal the Fort and start building a Village with a Tavern Outside.
Best of both worlds.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

automaticsquid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2012, 11:19:55 am »

definitely agree my current fort is up to 150 and im really starting to wish i had set a lower popcap! i liked 80 dwarfs my fort was efficient and good at 80 dwarfs 100 was really starting to push it and now that i have 150 its a constant battle to keep them all employed i went from 2 idlers to 30 in 2 migrant waves! the good thing i guess is that if i can work out how to make this mess work then smaller forts will be a lot easier to optimize later.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2012, 11:34:25 am »

NO! I like it NEAT.

DF needs more jobs that take up several dwarfs. Assigning Idlers is a PAIN, and having them idle means they will be FRIENDS. And FRIENDS GET MAD WHEN OTHER FRIENDS DIEEEEE  :-X

Thats why i have masterly engraved 3x3 bedrooms w/ masterwork beds, cabinets and chests.
I have like 50 idle dwarves.
the good side?
anytime i need something hauled, it can be done quick.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2012, 12:24:07 pm »

Big forts.

Tooltrumpets is currently at 125 from low of 80 from the high of 140 just before that tantrum spiral hit.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Maninblack144

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2012, 01:38:43 pm »

I like big forts. My current fort has ~220 dwarves with around 100 idlers, but there's a couple of them I pay attention to because they distinguish themselves so well, like the swordsdwarf that keeps giving Dodging demonstrations with only one arm.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2012, 05:29:26 pm »

I think people try and streamline everything too much. Bollocks to that - my forts are a twisting maze of insanity and chaos.

Beds next to a workshop?
Lots of Burrows?

Hahahahaha
jmq - leave it to run - solves all my problems with building and alterations, etc, where necessary.

Planning?
BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!

^sensible DF player.

i find that when playing management games, rpg roguelikes, and just about most other games where losing is the only real end, planning only ruins the fun, while adapting as challenges show up increase the Fun fun.

Lumix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2012, 05:37:14 pm »

Wow, I'm surprised to see that the people who like massive forts actually seem to be the minority.

Personally, I can't have enough of the drunken little bastards. Gorerape's Population is  210 at the moment, but I'd easily bump the pop. cap up by several hundred if my FPS wasn't suffering so much already.
There's always labors that could use more workers(farming, masonry, furnace operating, ect.), and I regularly have a plethora of shit to haul. More dwarves adds a more flourishing feeling of life to the fortress, the extra management is just another challenge.

Also, I feel it adds more depth and detail to a fort.
In short, more dwarves=more fun.
I couldnt agree more.

Once i hit roughly 80-120 dwarves, Thats when i begin the slippery slope to fun.
I have some difficultys keeping everyone active and happy.
Usually Urist mcshitfit snaps and goes beserk at an inopportune time, or goblins think it would be fun to seige when the fortress is nearing the edge.
I know it's fairly common but I killed 180+ people in his civilization before I went after him. I was kind of hoping for something a bit more substantial than a sucker punch and penis theft.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2012, 05:57:39 pm »

My best fort has 250+ dwarves and is awesome. The FPS doesn't bother me to much because I've done everything you can to reduce it, and my Legendary Military is unbeatable. I agree, though, big forts can be boring.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2012, 06:03:21 pm »

30 worker dwraves can easilly cater to the whims of 170 military dwarves. Just keep asigning new arrivals to your danger room and watch as you tuen away even the mightiest sieges with a head on charge.

170 military dwarfs is overkill, going into utter obliteration if the majority of them are legendary militia! 

With the right people selected for Military duty (with a huge fort, you have a better chance of getting those valuable recruits who have + in all their physical and kinetic/spatial sense), a single squad of 10 dwarves can turn away any siege. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8