Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lair? Moon Horror?  (Read 2426 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Lair? Moon Horror?
« on: February 09, 2012, 01:16:51 pm »

So... I just started a new fortress and as i began, an announcement came up saying i had discovered a lair. Inside is a bunch of corpses, a few coins, and one "moon horror" with a long name. What is this thing? It was inside the lair with a hatch over it, so i hit Q and set the hatch to be locked, so i'm not sure if my people are in danger, but i'd like to know what i'm dealing with. If anyone has any ideas, please tell me.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Lair? Moon Horror?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 01:37:51 pm »

It's a night creature, you just embarked on top of it's lair. Most encounters with those are in adventure mode. I don't know if night creatures are building destroyers or not, but nothing can destroy a locked hatch from below, so you should be safe.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 02:21:30 pm »

Yea those things are like little 'bosses' in adventure mode. 

Tough for a small group of adventurers, but a real dwarven army will make mincemeat of it.  5 or so decently equipped dwarves that know the right way to hold their weapons should be able to handle it, especially if you manage to lure it into the open instead of the cramped lair.  Raw recruits and civvies though probably would not stand a chance.  Think of it like a forgotten beast, only weaker.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 04:52:03 pm »

Congratulations, you now have the most useful denizen of your fortress safely penned in a prison of its own making.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 05:54:07 pm »

I wonder if it can be unleashed upon a goblin siege.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 05:56:38 pm »

I wonder if it can be unleashed upon a goblin siege.

Easily, but that's no fun :(

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 11:27:44 pm »

Pave over its lair and build yourself a massive dwarven metropolis on top. Bonus points if you can pit more horrors into its lair.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 09:14:57 am »

sady night creatures arnt all that good in a fights, there only a little better that a bear or some thing.

feed kobolds and elfs to it.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 07:35:46 pm »

Is it a spouse/husband/wife/other of a Moon Horror, or just a Moon Horror?
Because the actual creatures are much tougher than their spouses/husbands/wives/others.

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 11:18:22 pm »

ohhhhh... so that's what that is.... I have a lot of references popping up in my fortress to various Moon Troll Husbands and Freak of Twilight Spouses that were kings and queens of my civilization... I was wondering what that meant. But... what were they doing ruling over my dwarves?

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 11:22:30 pm »

Those bastards can be TUFF, I had one knock me out, wipe my party, and the slice my head off right when I woke up.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 11:26:51 pm »

ohhhhh... so that's what that is.... I have a lot of references popping up in my fortress to various Moon Troll Husbands and Freak of Twilight Spouses that were kings and queens of my civilization... I was wondering what that meant. But... what were they doing ruling over my dwarves?

They aren't actually ruling your civ, its that when someone becomes a night creature, their species in legends is overwritten as being spouse of such night creature. So it will read like they always have been night creatures even though they stop ruling the civ after becoming night creatures.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 11:29:25 pm »

They aren't actually ruling your civ, its that when someone becomes a night creature, their species in legends is overwritten as being spouse of such night creature. So it will read like they always have been night creatures even though they stop ruling the civ after becoming night creatures.
I think this is being fixed in the next update, unless I've read the dev log wrong.