Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven test of dwarfiness?  (Read 4813 times)

Vilhelm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven test of dwarfiness?
« on: February 09, 2012, 09:47:23 am »

Hello my fellow psychopaths DF players!
I am tired of all these migrants that keeps being accepted into my fort just by asking "Hey, can I die horribly live here?", what if they are goblins in disguise!
So I am planning on setting up some kind of test that every dwarf are to complete in order to be accepted into the fort!
However I could use some more ideas, these are the ones I got so far:
-Survive the slowly filling drowning chamber of dooom! (helps them learn swimming too)
-Survive a year in the caves using only hunting to gather food and only water to drink!
-Defeat a viscous beast with their bare hands!
So, does anyone have some more ideas, or maybe tried doing something similar before?

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven test of dwarfiness?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 09:49:59 am »

Lock them in a Project SPARTAN chamber for a few years, or until they don't care about anything anymore.

The survivors will become horribly scarred killing machines who don't give a damn if everyone they know dies and remains unburied.
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Quote from: Elifre
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Vilhelm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 09:59:16 am »

Lock them in a Project SPARTAN chamber for a few years, or until they don't care about anything anymore.

The survivors will become horribly scarred killing machines who don't give a damn if everyone they know dies and remains unburied.

Now that is a good idea!  :D

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 10:05:40 am »

Lock the migants in a pit with food and a well when they arrive.   Throw some weapons down there (the weaponsmith's rejects, keep yer good stuff for your dwarves.) and put the migrants in their own squads. Place the bottom of a nonlethal dodge this trap down there. 

Goblins fall into the room full of barely armed migrant dwarves.  The dwarves fight for their freedom, any dwarf that gets a kill on a goblin is allowed inside the fortress.  Any dwarf that dies fighting makes the others more hardened.  Make sure the entire chamber can be sanitized in case a goblin spy is found.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 10:15:54 am »

Thanks. ^^

I'm actually planning on setting up a system like this soon-ish. It'll take maybe forty-fifty chambers, which will require the following resources (assuming fifty chambers and three years per dwarf, based on my current setup):

Food:
Lavish prepared meals, preferably four or five types. Higher quality is better. 24 per chamber, 1200 total.
Whatever booze the dwarf prefers if possible, otherwise four types is ideal. 48 per chamber, 2400 total.
Barrels / Large Rock Pots: At least 100. More being better.

Nest boxes / turkeys:
A few gobblers outside the chambers.
2-3 Hens per chamber. Poults from unused chambers can be tossed in from above to ensure fighting. 100-150 hens total.
At least 50 nest boxes, 1 for each chamber. More if you want a higher rate of poult production.

Furniture (make the size cover the entire chamber before statues are added, and assign it to the dwarf):
1 bed per chamber, higher quality being better. 50 total.
1 chair per chamber, higher quality being better. 50 total. Make this a study.
1 table per chamber, blah blah blah. 50 total. Private dining room.
5-20 statues per chamber, preferably gold. Enough to make sure the dwarves are ecstatic while in said chambers. Assign one as a private statue garden.

To cover supply issues, you'll need to assign a garbage zone over the chamber surrounding an open space. Dwarves will toss in food and booze when ordered to dump them. Make sure you unforbid said supplies after they're tossed in, and have the area under the pit designated as a food stockpile to prevent rotting. It's best to only have one chamber supplied at a time. You'll also need a -massive- farm setup, with dedicated farmers, cooks, and brewers.

I hope that helps you out! :D
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 10:18:38 am by Elifre »
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Vilhelm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 12:12:51 pm »

Thanks. ^^

I'm actually planning on setting up a system like this soon-ish. It'll take maybe forty-fifty chambers, which will require the following resources (assuming fifty chambers and three years per dwarf, based on my current setup):

Food:
Lavish prepared meals, preferably four or five types. Higher quality is better. 24 per chamber, 1200 total.
Whatever booze the dwarf prefers if possible, otherwise four types is ideal. 48 per chamber, 2400 total.
Barrels / Large Rock Pots: At least 100. More being better.

Nest boxes / turkeys:
A few gobblers outside the chambers.
2-3 Hens per chamber. Poults from unused chambers can be tossed in from above to ensure fighting. 100-150 hens total.
At least 50 nest boxes, 1 for each chamber. More if you want a higher rate of poult production.

Furniture (make the size cover the entire chamber before statues are added, and assign it to the dwarf):
1 bed per chamber, higher quality being better. 50 total.
1 chair per chamber, higher quality being better. 50 total. Make this a study.
1 table per chamber, blah blah blah. 50 total. Private dining room.
5-20 statues per chamber, preferably gold. Enough to make sure the dwarves are ecstatic while in said chambers. Assign one as a private statue garden.

To cover supply issues, you'll need to assign a garbage zone over the chamber surrounding an open space. Dwarves will toss in food and booze when ordered to dump them. Make sure you unforbid said supplies after they're tossed in, and have the area under the pit designated as a food stockpile to prevent rotting. It's best to only have one chamber supplied at a time. You'll also need a -massive- farm setup, with dedicated farmers, cooks, and brewers.

I hope that helps you out! :D

This design sounds great, I might just build some of these chambers for myself. :) However why do you want them happy? What happened to the plan of turning everyone into horribly scarred killing machines?  :P
In my chambers I will only put only a well, a butchers shop, a kitchen and a monster that they have to kill with their bare fists in order to get meat to eat, with more thrown in when needed. Much less work, much more FUN :D

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 12:24:22 pm »

Happy Dwarves means rather unhappy nobles. :D

Besides, this is based off of my chambers for two year olds. It's a combination play pen / death pit. You could give them equipment and wait until they berserk from unhappiness, though. They'd become a useful weapon, albeit an unpredictable one.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 02:28:13 pm »

REMOVE ZE EYEBALLS! IT IS ZE ONLY WAY TO BE SURE!

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 02:38:38 pm »

Hmm... but how will we train the death turkeys to attack the eyes of their victims?
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 02:43:26 pm »

Hmm... but how will we train the death turkeys to attack the eyes of their victims?
Feed them the eyes :D

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 02:53:51 pm »

But turkeys don't eat!?

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 03:04:01 pm »

A dwarf who wishes to become a actual honered member of the fort must prove himself by dipping his beard in molten iron.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Jimmy T. Malice

• Bay Watcher
  • The severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 03:53:28 pm »

Any dwarf whose beard is set on fire by this is kicked out for being a lily-livered elf.
Urist McDorf cancels Pull lever: not that bloody stupid

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 04:13:59 pm »

TEST YOUR MIGHT anyone?
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 04:21:34 pm »

MK Announcer voice: "FINISH HIM!"
MK Announcer voice: "FATALITY!"
MK Announcer voice: "Turkey--WINS!"
Pages: [1] 2