Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cooking  (Read 1762 times)

ActnMoviHeroBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cooking
« on: February 09, 2012, 12:44:52 am »

So, easy meals take 2 ingredients. Do I get 2 units of biscuits?

More importantly, if I tell my cooks to start making roasts, do I get 4 units of roast FB?
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cooking
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 12:45:57 am »

No.

ActnMoviHeroBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 12:47:59 am »

damn
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 12:56:42 am »

Yes you do! The total size of the stack for any cooked meal is equal to the sum of its components. So if you cook a stack of 5 and a stack of 4 together, then the resulting meal will have a stack size of 9. This can result in even larger numbers with lavish meals where I have sometime seen meal stacks reaching into the 20-30ies easily.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 01:06:22 am »

Yes you do! The total size of the stack for any cooked meal is equal to the sum of its components. So if you cook a stack of 5 and a stack of 4 together, then the resulting meal will have a stack size of 9. This can result in even larger numbers with lavish meals where I have sometime seen meal stacks reaching into the 20-30ies easily.

Isn't that for modded food only? If it isn't forgive me for being wrong. :-[

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 01:11:20 am »

Nope! To quote the wiki:
There are three kinds of meals- easy, fine, and lavish. An easy meal uses two components; a fine meal three components, and a lavish meal four components. The result is a stack of prepared food with the same size as the sum of the stack sizes of its components; if the stack size is greater than 11 it will be too big to fit in a barrel or pot and must be stored on the ground.

And we all have are stupid/wrong moments. Even after several years of playing the game I still have them from time to time. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

spadark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 04:00:37 am »

oh, just knew we can choose components.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 04:17:51 am »

I play vanilla and I've seen many stacks of 20 to 30 (turkey hen egg) and even more than 60 of roasts
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

JinF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 04:43:38 am »

It depends on what you end up cooking. Some stacks can get much, much larger:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 04:55:05 am »

I'm imagining a huge tubular intestine, large enough for a dwarf to crawl through, with some flour sprinkled on top. When a dwarf gets hungry, they just tear off a chunk and eat it.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 07:19:01 am »

Elephant hunting + luxury meals, aw yeah :p

I don't actually understand why you'd use lower than luxury, when all the ingredients get added up anyway?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 07:57:15 am »

I don't actually understand why you'd use lower than luxury, when all the ingredients get added up anyway?

Sometimes you only have two ingredients left!

More seriously though, we have a lot of choices in DF.  Some are economically 'less wise', without having any obvious advantages to compensate.

Take rock/stone crafting.

You can use the craftshop to create stone goods, and most of those goods will take one stone for X amount of dwarf labor (affected by skill), and give you one object back that's worth about 10 units of wealth (assuming it's of minimal quality).  That'll happen for toys, instruments, most stoneware... make a rock mug however - suddenly for that 1 stone and X amounts of labor, you get 3 mugs each worth at least 10 units.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 08:17:36 am »

That, and it had made sense when economy was still on. If I'm not mistaken, dwarves had to pay for their meals, their rent, their clothes... Since ensuring high pay to all your dwarves was damn hard (hauling was very poorly paid, for example), you had to make slums and med-to-low quality goods for the lower classes.
I only had one fortress with economy ON, and it was clearly "dwarf fortress : hard mode"

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 08:24:26 am »

Ah, that makes sense. Same reason there are so many ways to make the same thing, I guess. With an economy I couldn't give all my dorfs gold chairs to sit on :D

@Imp, it's only a choice when there are benefits/negatives to each. ATM there's no choice at all: make luxury meals if you can.

ActnMoviHeroBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 11:11:58 am »

This is worth more than my current fortress.

Ah, that makes sense. Same reason there are so many ways to make the same thing, I guess. With an economy I couldn't give all my dorfs gold chairs to sit on :D

@Imp, it's only a choice when there are benefits/negatives to each. ATM there's no choice at all: make luxury meals if you can.

Actually, I remember seeing on the wiki that luxury meals take longer to make (natch) and thus result in slower exp gains for your cook.
GENERATION 29:
Pages: [1] 2